1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently picked up a Rock Island 45 GI. I was experimenting with some different holster options. One I tried was a yaqui style. I wasn't thrilled with carry position due to a belt loop issue. Minor, but annoying.

The problem I unfortunately discovered at the end of the day is the slide had been rubbing on the lower pocket rivet of my jeans.

Nothing deep, but definitely messed up the finish. Have I just ruined my pistol?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Get over it.
There’s nothing you possess - including your body - that doesn’t show wear and tear with use. Those marks are the beautiful signs that you’re using your pistol.
Enjoy it for a long time!!

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
So I recently picked up a Rock Island 45 GI. I was experimenting with some different holster options. One I tried was a yaqui style. I wasn't thrilled with carry position due to a belt loop issue. Minor, but annoying.

The problem I unfortunately discovered at the end of the day is the slide had been rubbing on the lower pocket rivet of my jeans.

Nothing deep, but definitely messed up the finish. Have I just ruined my pistol?
If it shoots to point of aim, it's not ruined. It may be a work of art, but it's also a cordless remote power drill, using disposable bits. A scratch on a power tool ... the cost of doing business.

Reactions: Levian and GWarden

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I can't begin to tell you how many belt loops my wife has relocated for me over the years. they are sewn on not welded. Move the belt loop to where you want it. That will provide you with many more holster options. For dress slacks They are off to a seamstress. You can ually find one at dry cleaners
I wasn't thrilled with carry position due to a belt loop issue. Minor, but annoying.

·
Administrator
75,397 Posts
The only way to keep scratches and finish wear off a pistol is to leave it in the safe and never touch it. If you handle and shoot a firearm it's GOING to get nicks and scratches.

By the way, even if you leave it in the safe eventually it'll bump against another gun or the door opening and get scratched anyway! Don't ask me how I know this...

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
My wife did the same thing at a match - didn't realize the slide dragged across a rivet with every draw, reholster, and general movement - all match long. The good part is that it was a parkerized Range Officer. A bit of elbow grease on the finish with an oiled rag removed the marks. Parkerizing is a great finish when maintained. Bluing......?...... well, it's a bit less rugged. :cautious:

·
Premium Member
11,819 Posts
...I wasn't thrilled with carry position due to a belt loop issue. Minor, but annoying...
This is absolutely the correct answer.

I can't begin to tell you how many belt loops my wife has relocated for me over the years. they are sewn on not welded. Move the belt loop to where you want it. That will provide you with many more holster options...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Great news on accelerating holster wear. I do not understand how people keep things looking brand new. If you use things, they get wear marks. I do enjoy the look of something brand new, but I think that honest wear coupled with good maintenance looks better.

New vs. wear on pistols (Internet pics) below and one of the best Mustangs ever: the Bullett Mustang. Why would anyone buy a replica Bullett Mustang that is not banged up??

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
get some 400 grit paper and give it some Personal Patina and get it over with.
this is my very first 1911 and has never been fired - it is still "a work in progress".
Vertebrate Air gun Trigger Mammal Gun barrel

I was raised in Central Florida in the Citrus Industry. . . . the man that my father worked for used regular cars for his "grove car". when he got a new car, he drove down the thickest rows of trees and scratched his brand new car all to pieces. his reasoning was: "go ahead and get it over with on the first day".
sounds like good advice for any new tool or toy.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I have 3 different levels of handguns. The workhorses get carried and shot a lot, I don't really worry about these much. The range guns which actually never see a holster, they go from the safe to a rug to the range and home where they get cleaned and put up. And then there are the collectables that I really should sell, They get looked at and wiped down and that's about it, they do make a trip to the range on rare occasions. I'm not sure how I ended up with handguns that are worth to much to shoot much, I certainly never intended to. . I really don't want to shoot an unfired Python. Well I'm an old fart and I have in the past purchased guns that got put up for a latter date and after several years appreciated in value a great deal. Hell I just didn't have time to shoot them. Well I have plenty of guns to shoot so no big deal I guess. It's the work horses I like the most and enjoy the most

·
Registered
899 Posts
Did it scratch it, or did the copper rivet rub off on it? Gently clean it with copper removing bore cleaner and it may not be as bad as you think.

·
Registered
836 Posts
There is nothing wrong with good honest wear. A lot of people now are having custom 1911s made with a destressed finish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts