1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I found these .22 rimfire boxes that still had a few 50 round boxes in them. But I decided to toss these 500 and 525 round boxes. Check out the prices. 12.99$ for a five hundred round carton of UMC, and 12.95$ for a 525 round carton of Remington. I have shot most of them with no duds.
The 525 round Remington box is less than twenty years old. The good old days were actually not that long ago.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have a small collection of vintage .22 boxes , some from my youth. Including a box of .22 shorts with a 75 cent mark.

·
Registered
23,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember buying the brick of .22 LR for just under $5.00, but it was hard to make the $5.00 though.
Yep, been there and done that a very long time ago. Just prior to getting busted shooting a Winchester model 67 down by the quarry with my late friend Mark H.

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts
20 years ago people were freaking out over so-called assault weapons and their associated calibers, but nobody was worried about anyone restricting .22s or rimfire ammo. That has changed in recent years as the antis have shown that absolutely nothing is off the table. Here in WA state they want to ban .22LR semi-autos as well, so you can probably see why the current situation is as bad as it is.

Reactions: Flatlander11b

·
Registered
387 Posts
I need to dig into an old box with some very old ammo I buried in my workroom that I have been too lazy to pull out from behind other treasures. I believe I still have a few boxes of Federal Monark from the 1960s that at my local gas station was always 49¢/box but when on sale a sticker priced them at 39¢. I do still have a sealed tin (about 13oz in those days) of Green Dot powder from that same era that is marked $1.39.
Primers were 1¢, powder was too cheap to consider as part of the loading cost, and cast bullets made a box of 38's run a couple bucks.

·
Registered
23,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.22 rimfire dates back to the nineteenth century. I wonder what they were selling them for back then?

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
The good old days were actually not that long ago.
Weird isnt it?
We werent really bitching about Remington or rimfire too much....yet, but the decline was happening.
I just dont remember a "Dud" being much of an occurrence in the 70's and 80's. Everything was available, even components in most hardware stores. The 90's, internet and FaceTwitterBookPlace ruined everything. The pussification movement was in full stride. Closets opened up.......ughhhhhh.....sorry for the derail.....

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I remember buying 525 packs of Fed. LR HP for $9.95 at Wal-Mart back in the 90s. I was shooting bullseye matches & those would hold the 10 ring & if you were really having a good day, the X ring.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Grab yourself a “Bucket-O-Bullets” from Remington. The 1400 count “Golden” variety.
You would be lucky to hit paper consistently and would have dozens of duds laying at your feet. 22’s in the 90’s were even starting to get bad. Remington should have trademarked the word Dud.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Grab yourself a “Bucket-O-Bullets” from Remington. The 1400 count “Golden” variety.
You would be lucky to hit paper consistently and would have dozens of duds laying at your feet. 22’s in the 90’s were even starting to get bad. Remington should have trademarked the word Dud.
Never shot them but used a couple B-O-B's for "trade fodder" during the last panic... ;)

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
A local discount store sends out flyers every month and always had either golden bullets or thunderbolts on sale, I don't remember when I started buying them mostly out of boredom but when I started they were 7 bucks a brick and the last time I bought them they were 14 bucks. I don't shoot 22 much really so I have a mountain of them.
As far as inventory goes I've given up cause every time I try I get distracted by the hundreds and hundreds of oddball boxes that were either given to me or I bought for who knows why, maybe cause they were a deal or maybe to try but never finished.
Keep thinking I should do spring cleaning and take a few calibers at a time and just make brass out of them. But then, as my brother would point out, I'd end up uneven stacks of boxes, start to twitch and have to start all over again.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
But then, as my brother would point out, I'd end up uneven stacks of boxes, start to twitch and have to start all over again.
Ya gotta have the same color the same height. Black stacks can be taller or shorter than red stacks. Both of those, along with orange, brown, yellow and blue can be prominently displayed in front (excepting UMC which should be tossed). It is a rule, that any green boxes purchased after 1990 must be hidden in the back for fear of ridicule and “buckets” of anything should be hidden in a box.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts