1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading Steve from Allentowns Extractor fitting sticky , I wish somebody would make a kit with the go / no go pin gauges and a deflection gauge and some nice printed instructions.
I have the Weigland gauges but find that they often give me too much tension on the extractor.
I have also tried to make the deflection gauge but find getting the width even on both edges isn't easy.

I think alot of people would be interested in this kit.
I find the Extractor the number 2 problem with 1911's only behind magazine issues.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
There are several ( actually many ) gun smithing tools on the market designed out of necessity by talented gun smiths. Scott Mulkerin, Dustin Housel, David Clevinger, Ed Brown, Chuck Warner quickly come to mind. I personally have tools or want a tool that these guys build. The unfortunate thing is that once the tool becomes popular the manufacture impedes the workflow in the shop fixing guns. This thread may spark an interest in some one putting out a kit. I remember Mike Doty showing off his work in progress frame mounting jig and the feedback resulted in a work of art that other smiths appreciated and bought.
Joe

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
. . . I wish somebody would make a kit with the go / no go pin gauges and a deflection gauge
Me too. Having professionally made tools made to precise dimensions would be the cats meow. I suggested this to George (EGW) some time ago but nothing came of it. I suspect the market is much too small to justify the costs associated with manufacturing such items.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Me too. Having professionally made tools made to precise dimensions would be the cats meow. I suggested this to George (EGW) some time ago but nothing came of it. I suspect the market is much too small to justify the costs associated with manufacturing such items.
Perhaps Jack Weigand would be interested in a supplemental extractor kit ? His bending tool and tension ( friction ) pull tabs are popular. He has also marketed improved barrel fitting jigs as he sees beneficial changes. Packaged with an extractor removal aid the gauges should prove a formidable package.
Joe

·
Registered
639 Posts
Go to the Wilson Combat You Tube Videos before Big Tech takes them down, lots of good information on fine tuning extractors beyond the initial bending with Gunsmith tools.
I own and use the Weingand Extractor tensioning tool set, but it is a starting point.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Me too. Having professionally made tools made to precise dimensions would be the cats meow.
Ditto.
Personally fiddling with tweaking/tuning of a 1911 might even be part of the fun, but can be very frustrating as well.
Avoiding such kind of problems is one of the points in the old discussion about custom/hi end vs run of the mill pistols

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ditto.
Personally fiddling with tweaking/tuning of a 1911 might even be part of the fun, but can be very frustrating as well.
Avoiding such kind of problems is one of the points in the old discussion about custom/hi end vs run of the mill pistols
Agree on both: fun and frustrating. I’m fairly new to this and wouldn’t have even started down the path without the Weigand tool as well as Paul’s tuning thread. It takes a degree of patience as well as trial and error. Feels great when you get to the point we’re the pistol works flawlessly though.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Go to the Wilson Combat You Tube Videos before Big Tech takes them down, lots of good information on fine tuning extractors beyond the initial bending . . .
Being curious I just scrolled through the entire Wilson video list and was only able to find two that addressed extractors. Neither of them mentioned geometry or deflection. They only addressed basic bending a.k.a. tension. If you can point me to a Wilson video that goes more in-depth than this thread, I'd really appreciate it.

Here are the two Wilson videos I found:

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
A set of numbered drill bits or pin gauges, some small beads files (as in making beaded necklaces, etc.), popsicle sticks, and/or ladies nail abrasives boards, and the Weigand extractor set are what I use. Oh, and a magnifying visor and a loupe.

·
Premium Member
14,656 Posts
I tension with either my vise, or a made from a piece of tubing extractor bender for field use. I do use the gauges and find them beneficial as well.

LOG

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ditto.
Working with an extractor is especially frustrating. Might take several, separate adjustments to get it just right and the gun range is far away. And you have to have all the special gadgets to do it if you take them to the range to do it there. A kit would eliminate lots of stress.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I have used one of these fixtures from John Harrison for holding extractors while shaping the tensioning wall and hook area:

HD-803 Extractor Machining Fixture

I am not recommending it, because it is an expensive way to do it. I thought maybe it would spark an idea in the fertile minds of those here to come up with an inexpensive way to hold the extractor comfortably while shaping it.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I tried that Steve, but I couldn't get it clamped so that it stayed firmly in place. Maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right:confused:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I tried that Steve, but I couldn't get it clamped so that it stayed firmly in place.
I only use it on flat surfaces and it holds on tight. The trick for me is fiddling with it until the distance between the front jaws is the same as the distance between the rear jaws. This maximizes the amount of contact area between the tool and whatever I've clamped it to.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I found a use for old brass key blanks and keys.

If you dig long enough, you will find some brass that is flat/rectangular and you will have feeler gauges for the extractor to breech face distance.

You may look a bit odd in some old time lock shop going through key blanks with calipers. I like flat gauges instead of round for that purpose.

I had thought about buying a few feeler gauges. They don’t go up to the dimensions required but leaves could be super glued together as stacks. (Once the rivet was out).

I measured a few keys and was done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts