1911Forum banner

Should I buy this sweet Kimber?

• No, stay away from Kimber.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Hell no! Now repent of those thoughts and ask Deacon Nammy for forgiveness!

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Yea, sounds like a great deal!

• Well, okay... but only if we can treat you like NK!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do ya guys think about me picking up a finely crafted Kimber:eek: to keep my CBOB company and to serve as a more concealable option, as the DW is mostly the outdoors gun

I have been looking at a compact 1911 to replace my current wimpy 9mm(take note Keith :biglaugh:) for EDC. I have been looking at a couple different Ultra Carry Kimbers... and this one recently popped up at the local shop. It is an 3'' alloy framed .45 with Crimson Trace grips that Kimber only made about 1,000 of that were distributed to preferred Kimber dealers. It for sale at $1089, a really good price considering the grips included... so what do all of my "enlightened" brothers think?!

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Your C___P card is now revoked.
As for the K____r, I don't know much about them but what I have read they aren't to bad,:barf::barf::barf:
Or use use common sense take that money save a little Bit More and order a 2010 DW.:rock::rock::rock:
Clyde

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
so what do all of my "enlightened" brothers think?!
I think I'm going to puke. :biglaugh:

But who cares! If you think it fits your needs, finances, and most importantly your hand, then don't let anyone stop you.

I still don't know how you will sleep at night

Wes

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Drink Much?

:barf:

CCO all the way. Or carry the CBOB?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I will tell you what I am doing. WAITING until 2011 when the Dan Wesson .45 Guardian will begin production!!!
There is not much product out there that is above DW quality!!!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I'm just not a fan of the ultra size.. I might consider a kimber compact if I found a sweet sub 800$ deal on lightly used.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If it were a series I I might consider it (although I'm no fan of this size pistol). But its a series II. My understanding is that the newer ones may be more problematic. Were it me, I'd pass and look for a DW CCO instead.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remember, Ultras are a 3" barrel, with a shortened handle, while still retaining a 7 round mag... CCO is a Commander slide

·
Registered
357 Posts
Gotta be honest here..

Had the Ultra Tac II.. great little gun. Very accurate with wonderful sights, light weight and a blast to shoot etc etc...

I did sell it in favor of the CCO.. Reasons being I felt it was overpriced, didnt care for the coating and most of all the take down process.
Despise the fact a 'tool' (paper clip) is needed for take down & the kimber schwartz safety is a joke.

Good luck w/your decision.

For $250 +/- you can carry this. Both guns weigh the same.

Best,
B-

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Remember, Ultras are a 3" barrel, with a shortened handle, while still retaining a 7 round mag... CCO is a Commander slide
All the more reason to pass.

Here's a comment from Hilton Yam taken from his article about choosing duty 1911s:

" By virtue of their design, the shorter format 1911s reduce the window of functional opportunity for the magazine and slide to work together to feed, chamber, extract, and eject. This is an incontrovertible fact of life. Proper weapon setup, spring rates, and magazine maintenance are critical in running the shorter guns. "

Commander length is one thing, these tiny 3 inchers are quite another.... I say pass.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
i'd say if you like it go for it. i have a couple of colt officers that have never hiccuped,the 3" non reliable thing is nothing but another internet myth.

the officers i have had the longest has almost 7500 rounds thru it with 2500 being +p and all it gets is lubed/cleaned and spring changes
pete

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I personally am not interested in a 3" barreled anything, one inch more of length really does make a big difference:biglaugh:

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
Most peeps on this site have NO experience with 3" guns yet have alot to offer in the form of opinions with them. While the timing is crucial, it can be and is acheived with 99% of the 3" guns out there. Mine runs like a swiss watch and I trust my life to it.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Most peeps on this site have NO experience with 3" guns yet have alot to offer in the form of opinions with them. While the timing is crucial, it can be and is acheived with 99% of the 3" guns out there. Mine runs like a swiss watch and I trust my life to it.
Darn, No Snide remarks from NK when we talk about K____rs..........

Something seems wrong with this?

Clyde

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I personally am not interested in a 3" barreled anything, one inch more of length really does make a big difference:biglaugh:
and every 1/2 inch... or 1/4 inch for that matter, makes a diference in ease of concealablity!

I'd love to carry 2 Valors... but its not gonna happen!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Darn, No Snide remarks from NK when we talk about K____rs..........

Something seems wrong with this?

True colors showing perhaps?

Never said 3 inchers wouldn't work. Just quoted a gunsmith who says they're more challenging to get that way. Don't see how that is any kind of "internet rumor." Ah well I don't use the term "peeps" either. :rock::biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts