1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a low cost 1911 to use as a 'plinker' gun with some old (WWII vintage) surplus ammo I have...

I see an IAI M6000 for $225 (which the seller is billing as a true 1911 clone, a/o a 1911-ish gun like the Star or Llama), and a Llama Max-1 (which, IIRC, is a 1911 in-looks/size-only)... The gun will be used to fire aprox 600rds of EC44 WWII US surplus .45ACP, then sold for whatever I can get for it...

I had a M1927 Sistema (stolen allong with my car), but the replacement for this (another 1927, from JLD, $300) will be a 'keeper' that I don't want to fire highly corrosive ammo through...

So, any comments on IAI, llama, etc??? Any other suggestions for an under-$240 1911-style gun (i.e. feel-wise)?? Is the M5000 a true clone (ala Sistema) or an -ish gun like the Stars, Molinas, and Llamas?

Also, does anyone know if IAI is still operating in the USA? Their domain is for sale, so I assume not...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't know anything about the m6000, but here's my thoughts.......

If you're really planning to sell it shortly after you buy it, ANY used pistol priced what it's worth would do, since you should be able to sell it for exactly what you paid for it. I.E. m6000, Colt, Kimber, etc., doesn't matter whether it's a $100 gun or a $1000 gun.

If you might keep it, and don't want to spend alot, try Rock Island Armory (love mine) or Norinco.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
IAI M6000 are not that bad...

My friend has one of those, he has it for about 4 years now. I find it to be combat accurate, but reliable only with RN ammo and it has a somewhat sloppy fit. For that price, I say its not a bad deal at all.
If you're concerned about corrosive ammo doing a number on the barrel (' happens if not cleaned immediately), why don't you just buy a surplus barrel? I see some in the shows for as low as $25. Parhaps, its never a bad idea to keep a spare. I've seen a number of barrel breakage in competition (broken link or sometimes sheared off lower lugs :( ).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts