1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

My dealer has a Colt that has been bugging me for a while. It is a .38 Super Government Model, nickel plated, and he says it dates to the late 40s. It looks quite perfect. I am not familiar with Colts from that era. Is the finish likely factory, or something added later? How much would something like this be worth?

I like .38 Supers a lot. I tend to prefer guns with the modern bells and whistles, but this one has some character. Not sure why it appeals, but it does. He has had it, sold it, gotten it back over the past few months. Each time I go in it looks so lonely....

:D

GR

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I can probably get that tomorrow. I seem to recall it started with 65 and was five digits, but not sure.

GR

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He has $800 on it, but I can get it for a lot less. I am concerned about the finish. Was Nickel offered then? Of course as I said it is flawless, so that would seem a hint that it is aftermarket given the age. Did post-war Supers work well? I have always heard the pre-war ones were problematic.

GR

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
For commercial Colts, nickel finish became an option in 1935. Yes it could be factory but, it's really hard to say. I'd give Colt a call at 1.800.962.COLT and see if they have any info on the gun. And yes, early .38 Supers generally were not known for target like accuracy. If original and in excellent condition, the best price would be what you're willing to pay and the offer the seller will accept.

Regards,
Sam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts