1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired a Colt US 1911, #69xxx, (1914) which appears all correct, except the blued barrel has no "H" and "P" on top of the chamber by the books; but does have what appears to be half of an "H" in that location. There are no proof marks on the lugs. Is this a proper matching barrel with factory anomalies or what do you think?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Ahhh, don't worry about it. Only collectors care about such things and they've ruined the world. Just shoot the sh*t out of it. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, you're right. I used up all my corrosive ammo while shooting my other .45 I got from General Patton.

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts
Exactly where is the H? Directly on the top of the barrel, or on the end of the barrel hood extention? If the latter, then technically it is for a Colt in the #6,000 to 25,000 range. Now, if the wear pattern matches that barrel may indeed be original. The reason lies in what collectors often refer to as the "bottom of the bin" effect, where older parts may have lingered in the bottom of the parts bins until finally the bin emptied and they were used. That's not exactly how it usually happened, but you get the idea.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The half of the "H" is on TOP of the barrel hood, visible when the slide is ahead. It is not on the breech end of the barrel like the early ones.

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts
Interesting. Well, if there was a P on top as well then it would be common for your serial range.

Sorry, this one appears to be a one-of-a-kind. Better ship the gun off to me so I can enclose it in a hermetically-sealed glass case and keep it safe from kwill and ugly-jeep-truck.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
978 Posts
Argh! You cut me to the quick, dsk! I consider myself a collhooter. I mean a shoollector. Well, you know what I mean, don't you?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Naw, it's in a better place right now. I figure the "P" was omitted when the proof stamp guy went to "P" and they didn't want to hold up the line...works for me!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
The barrel is actually correct for a Colt in the 20,000-25,000 serial range. This was a transitional period when the H moved from the back edge of the hood to the top of the hood, and before the P firing proof was added. This H will not be identical to Hosmer's H that was used on frmaes and slides.
The barrel may have been in the bottom of the bin and used later, but the transition serial range was during the time frame od April 1913. The 69,000 gun was, of course, a 1914.
I'd look at the wear pattern. This may give an indication of whether the barrel just just swapped out early on in it's military service, or whether the barrel may have been shipped in the gun. Either way, I'd never consider changing it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your interest and insights. I just checked and found no "P" where the early type barrel "H" was--on the breech end of the hood extention. The "H" on this barrel, like I said, is poorly stamped so it looks like a "C" or a square that is missing one side. It is about the same size as the "H" above the firing pin on the slide. You can see it when the slide is ahead, (meaning when the barrel's locked up it's on TOP of the chamber). If holding the pistol in a firing position, looking straight down at the ejection port, the half "H" is to the left and rear of the center point. The two "legs" on the "H" point toward the rear sight. It most closely resembles a type 4 barrel, (85,000 up). Wear seems even with the rest of the unit, so the bottom-of-the bin theory could hold true. It's about an 85% gun anyway, so not a huge deal. I appreciate the time and knowlege you guys have shared w/me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts