1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking for info on a colt 1911, so here goes my best description.
On the left side of the frame below the slide is US PROPERTY AA. On the left of the slide is "patented APR 20, 1897, sep 9, 1902 dec 19, 1905, feb 14 1911 aug 19, 1913" followed by the colt pony and Colts PT FA MFG CO Hartford CT, USA. On the right side is Model 1911 US ARMY. Taken apart, under the slide is M. No markings on magazine. Above the barrel link, below barrel is an S and a P. The Serial # is 402547. I just did a basic feild strip of the pistol so don't know the markings on the rest of the componants. The pistol is LNIB, from Aniston Army Depot in Alabama, in a wax-coated cardboard box, never been shot, no wear or tear, reciept indicates it was bought for 13.50 many moons ago. Any info from you experts out there would be appreciated as well as interesting.

·
Administrator
79,229 Posts
It is a late 1918-vintage Colt M1911 made for the US Army. The "AA" stamp indicates it was rebuilt at Augusta Arsenal at some point, most likely after WW2. The barrel is a Springfield Armory replacement unit. Is the finish blued or parkerized, and are the grips wood or checkered plastic?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The finish is Parkerized in the ole GI olive. If you roll the slide over, so it's upside down, the "M" is stamped in the middle towards the rear of the slide. It has checkered plastic grips. The stories about this pistol have varied depending on which family member you ask about "that ole pistol" As near as I can tell, and validated through reciepts and so on, my grandfather bought it through an NRA deal as he was a member. I think he paied 11.50 for it and 1.50 S&H. He had never shot it, nor have any us as it is handed down father to son. He bought a few weapons through the NRA whenever they had a special going on, to include an M1 carbine and a Luger. Pretty cool that he saved every box, reciept, paper and booklet that it came with, even the cut-outs of the magazine where he first saw the ad. Kinda neat. Thanks for the info Gents'

·
Administrator
79,229 Posts
It sounds a lot like a typical Korean War-era rebuild. A lot of older M1911's got freshened up with parkerizing and a new set of plastic grips during that time period.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys would know better than me. I'll have to check the date on the reciept.

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
The gun would originally have been blued, and was bead-blasted and Parkerized during the rebuild, after which it apparently was stored until disposed of by the government. I would not hesitate to shoot it, because it has little collector value as a 1911. I'm sure it has great sentimental value to you, but I still don't see what it would hurt to take it out and let all the young ones shoot great-grandaddy's .45.

·
Administrator
79,229 Posts
1saxman said:
I would not hesitate to shoot it, because it has little collector value as a 1911.
Five years ago that was true, but look at how much even rebuilds are going for these days! A legitimate rebuild in excellent shape is easily worth over a grand now.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No need to shoot it, I've got plenty of of other GI's and the like to shoot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.