1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your ideal home defense pistol? Please include manufacturer, model, and any necessary accessories. Also, please consider a long arm to be outside the scope of this discussion. I'm not disregarding it, i'm just focusing the thread.

Here's my thoughts and what I think would be "best."

-.45 caliber
-An integrated rail/light.
-relatively high capacity.

Under my criteria, my series 80 isn't ideal. I think that would leave a H&K, a Glock, maybe a para-ordinance. I'll concede that my choice of .45 caliber is totally subjective. I've begun to think that having an attached light would make things a lot simpler than a detached one. As far as capacity goes, i agree that if you need more than the cylinder of a revolver you're probably in trouble, but then again, if you're not trying to conceal it or carry it anywhere, why not have a higher capacity. Maybe because you like the feel of a single stack grip.

Just something i was pondering. I doubt I ever get a pistol just for this purpose. Tween my 5" govt and my P7 I probably already have all the pistol I'd ever need.

Cheers.

Spookyspiff

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ruger P95.

Why?

My wifes shoot the gun and is comfortable shooting and working it. That makes it my ideal gun of all the ones I own. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
If it has to be a pistol..

then the HK USP Expert with UTL.

That being said, my current HD gun is a S&W 686+ (7 shots) with a Surefire 9v handheld. My old set-up was a USP45F with UTL, but decided to go with a wheelgun due to concerns with the mag springs after long periods of storage.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My current home defense pistol is my Ruger P89. A lot of people debate the caliber/stopping power issue and there are good arguments on both sides. Most full-size 9mm pistols will allow for 10 round capacity and 15 rounds with pre-ban mags.

While I also own a SA 1911, the P89 has performed without any problems when I try almost any variety of ammo. Hardball, hollow-points, and 5 different brands have worked without fail. At this point, the 1911 is still showing some issues (mostly FTE's) and I'm not too accruate with it. It has a tendency to shoot low and right (I'm a leftie). It may be me, it may be the sights. But for those reasons, it's the P89 that gets defense duty.

I don't have a way to mount a light on the P89, so I have a flashlight right next to the pistol. A light rail would probably make a good addition if there was one available that would attach to the dust cover.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My bedside piece is a 10mm Glock 20 loaded with eleven 160 grain DoubleTap Golden Sabers clocked at 1400 fps.

Penetration is in the 14" - 16" range, with explosive terminal performance.

In other words, it's a bad arsed gun, and it makes me sleep comfy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Beretta Cougar in .45

This is a nice medium sized pistol that handles recoil extremely well. Very fun to shoot, accurate and virtually completely reliable. Disassembles and cleans easily too. It's also available in 9mm, .40 S&W and .357 Sig.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Quite honestly, mine is my Colt Government.

Its what I'm most familiar with, and the external safety helps to. I like the idea of manual safeties and 1911's feel the most comfortable.

Its been reliable so far so why switch to anything else. Plus .45 ACP is my preferred round of choice.

For home defense long gun I only have a Remington 870 Wingmaster in 28". not very tactical so hopefully soon I'm hoping to pick up a 12 ga. 870 HD model. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
a 1911, w/ a SureFire 610R weaponlight, and two 10 round mags.

my setup? Since the Springer's with John Jardine now, it's my Les Baer w/ 7 rounds of SXT, plus an FMJ to top off the 8rnd mag (JHP's don't react well to repeated chamberings; then again, neither do FMJ's, since they're pushed into the case ever so slightly. At least they don't deform, and they're cheaper to replace), plus another GI full of SXT's. SureFire L4 as a light source.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not sure why a light rail is a requirement. "Don't point your gun at anything you don't want to destroy" kinda goes out the window when your using your gun as a flashlight.

·
Registered
352 Posts
w/ any powerful flashlight you can bounce the light off the walls. same is said for a weaponlight

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ideal?

Smith or Ruger round but revolver with a 3 inch barrel in .357 Magnum, a speed loader, a cell phone, and a flashlight.

My reasoning?

A HOME defense gun needs to be useable by everyone in the home, regardless of hand size or level of training. A revolver fits this criteria better than any other firearm.

If you live alone, get whatever you want. The 1911 is great. A pistol holding more rounds is fine too. Just don't confuse what is great for you at the range or for CCW, with what is great for "home defense". Anyway, thats my thoughts.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Black Majik said:
For home defense long gun I only have a Remington 870 Wingmaster in 28". not very tactical so hopefully soon I'm hoping to pick up a 12 ga. 870 HD model. :)
Why not just buy a 20" barrel for the Wingmaster. A Wingmaster can do many jobs quite well. Buy ammo.

·
Administrator
74,665 Posts
The best pistol for home defense is the one you'll instinctively know how to safely and effectively use in the dark, while nude, half-awake, and not even knowing which the hell way is up.

BTW I'm not a tactial expert (nor do I play one on TV), but I'm not a big fan of shotguns for home defense. I just can't imagine touching off one of those honeys inside a dark bedroom or hallway, and still actually having any semblance of hearing or eyesight afterwards. To me that's not the best condition to be in once the lead starts flying in both directions. I personally would rather have a pistol-caliber carbine or a good handgun.

If anyone has any personal experience they can share with us to support or refute this let's hear it.

·
Banned
256 Posts
DamnedDirtyApe said:
My bedside piece is a 10mm Glock 20 loaded with eleven 160 grain DoubleTap Golden Sabers clocked at 1400 fps.

Penetration is in the 14" - 16" range, with explosive terminal performance.

In other words, it's a bad arsed gun, and it makes me sleep comfy.
I see you're set up to shoot up your house as well as the bad guy. That's way too much punch for home use, unless maybe you're being burglarized by Michael Moore. :rolleyes:

If you're after penetration, why not use an M1 Garand with .30-06 AP ammo?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
A pair of amplified Peltor hearing protectors is a good thing to have for home defense. Very quick to put on and will give you an edge after shots are fired, e.g., is there another BG present? They could also aid in hearing police commands if they arrive on the scene during or immediately after an indoor encounter.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Contender .22LR

I bet Rob Leatham (sp) could fair pretty well with one. Pop, reload, pop, reload....
The point I'm trying to relate is that just about any firearm would fit the bill, if practiced with enough, but the scope of home defense is a lot deeper than the "Best" pistol. Time & effort spent avoiding the need to brandish/ fire warning shots/ shoot invaders as needed (I live in OK, no need for warning shots) is important. I think there are a pile of great pistols out there for reasonable prices. So pick one that seems great to you, practice until you are comfortable with your home defense plan, then get on with your life. Keep the practice part up. That's what will make it a "Best" pistol.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
riverdog said:
Why not just buy a 20" barrel for the Wingmaster. A Wingmaster can do many jobs quite well. Buy ammo.
I've heard of issues w/ adding a mag extension on the 870's. Mainly the 2 dimples in the mag. tube.

Plus it gives me another reason to buy another shotgun. I was considering taking a defensive shotgun course also. I dont want to get the pretty wood all scratched up :eek: :p

·
Registered
333 Posts
S&W model 66 loaded with gold dots and a speedloader full of gold dots.

or kimber custom II cm power mags loaded with corbon 185 grain +p's cocked and locked. with a spare mag full of ball

used to use a p89 full of gold dots but i traded that in for the kimber.

thats just in my room, my dad keeps a cheifs special full of silvertips

1 - 20 of 56 Posts