1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with prices off ammo being so high cant help but want to save money and reload myself. I understand i need a sturdy top and base for my bench any ideas on what to use for the top. I was thinking maybe a butchers block or something kind of heavy

·
Registered
921 Posts
I use 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood screwed together. The bottom one got screwed to the gorilla rack, the top one screwed to the 2nd layer. Overhang the edge 3.5" and reinforce it with a 2x4.

All the presses get bolted through both pieces of plywood and the 2x4.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood screwed together. The bottom one got screwed to the gorilla rack, the top one screwed to the 2nd layer. Overhang the edge 3.5" and reinforce it with a 2x4.

I'd like to see this; do you have pictures?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Demo site

If you keep your eyes "peeled" you may come across a solid core door slab at a demo site. I got some "bowling alley" from a demolition site...laminated maple, reinforced with steel rod...tough stuff to work with but mighty sturdy and free.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
sophijo- funny you should mention that. I have two benches. One is bowling alley maple.

·
Registered
472 Posts
i use 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood screwed together. The bottom one got screwed to the gorilla rack, the top one screwed to the 2nd layer. Overhang the edge 3.5" and reinforce it with a 2x4.

yepper -

go as beef as possible

·
Registered
57 Posts

Saw the pics of your bench,very nice. Good way to mount your presses.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I glued and nailed two pieces of 3/4" plywood together and topped it with 1/4" hard masonite glued and nailed to the top. The masonite gives a really smooth surface. The frame is all 2/4 bolted together. The shelves are standalone and just sit on the bench. The shelf underneath is a countertop foulup from a cabinet shop. It all comes apart to move which I've done a couple of times. It does not move when I reload. Here a a few pictures. The table in the foreground is a 6' dining table for cleaning guns.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
sophijo- funny you should mention that. I have two benches. One is bowling alley maple.
Plus 1 on the maple bowling alley.

It did require a bit more stabilization side to side than I had expected but rock solid now that it's done. It was also wider than I wanted so that made for some misery to narrow it. Nails anyone?

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I vote for 3/4 Plywood. IMHO one peice will do as long as the rest of your bench is sturdy and heavy..

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I think there's a better choice for loading benches then plywood. MDF. Very dense. Heavy, which helps tremendously with stability. Resists liquids including oils and solvents. Smooth and pretty. I have three presses mounted on this stuff. I love it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Been loading for 40+ years and finally put together a purpose-built loading bench a few years ago. The frame is screwed to the studs of my workshop and built out of 4 X 4s. Ammo is stored in the bottom, which contributes to the solidity.

The top is made of 2 sheets of 3/4" ply, glued and screwed together. The top piece of ply is birch, which I finished with a stain, then multiple coats of a polyurethane type finish. I edged the top with 1" hardwood (oak) strips, which are glued and tacked on.

Keep the edges that overhang the bench frame as short as possible, to prevent flex. Measure your presses to see how much overhang they need and keep the bench top to that spec.

If you do it that way, your bench will not flex. It's worked for me for years with no problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts