1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last September I found 175 rounds of this JHP inside a plastic bag. I've been trying to find the owner because somebody HAVE to notice that he or she lost 175 rounds. I posted a note on the range bulletin boards. Nobody showed up, so now they are mine :D . I tested 75 on my SA and they are hot! Hotter than any JHP I've used before. ZERO malfuntions.

The bullet has a canelllure case. It says: R . P 45 AUTO

·
Registered
793 Posts
R-P = Remington Peters as far as I know

·
Registered
21,770 Posts
It looks like a Remington (Remington-Peters, R-P, get it?) 185 grain hollowpoint. NOT Golden Sabre, but the older conventional hollowpoint. Known for good feeding but only fair expansion for a long time. I have shot the factory load and reloaded with the bullets.

They make both standard and +P loadings. If the ones you have found feel "hot" they are likely the +P.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Do you really think it's a good idea to fire ammo that you found in a plastic bag at the range?

Some goober could have reloaded them way too hot (on purpose or by accident). There is no way I would shoot them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
K1500 said:
Do you really think it's a good idea to fire ammo that you found in a plastic bag at the range?

Some goober could have reloaded them way too hot (on purpose or by accident). There is no way I would shoot them.
That's a good point, never thought about it:dope: .

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The best thing to do would be to pull the bullet and reload the primed cases. You can re-use everything except the powder.

If you are relatively certain they are factory loaded (the picture shows some factory looking primer sealant) then I suppose I would shoot them. It just seems strange to find factory ammo (especially in that quantity) in a plastic bag.

99.5 percent of the time you are probably fine with shooting them up. It's the other .5 percent that I would worry about. Ammo is pretty cheap, but you are only issued one set of hands and eyes. Good luck with whatever you do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts