1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all, I was wondering whether someone could perhaps help me ID my Colt 1911A1 as it has me a little confused.

I brought it recently at a militaria fair for £280 and living in the UK it was deactivated. So, I have 2 questions.....

1) Where abouts on the internals is it stamped with serial numbers other than on the frame?

2) Its frame serial number is a little strange, its clearly a 1911A1 but its serial number I believe comes from a 1911. It is C15926, which signifies a Canadian Export from the US (at least I think it does) which would explain why it is not marked US ARMY or any other such markings. So I was wondering what the story was with it? When was it made? Am I right in thinking it was for Canada?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
Ramsey Green.

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
Hi Ramsey,

First off, welcome to the forum. Now for the bad news. I have sincere doubts as to whether your pistol is even an actual Colt. The slide markings appear pantographed, as the shape and font of the markings are not correct for a Colt. The serial number font is unlike anything I've ever seen Colt stamp on their guns either. Furthermore, the peculiar shape of the triggerguard also makes me suspect that the pistol was once a Brand X frame and slide (quite possibly of Philippine or South American origin) that was put together with surplus USGI parts then re-marked to look like a Colt.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,219 Posts
I was going to suggest it may not even have ever been a real gun; the frame is definitely not Colt, and the slide markings made me think it was a Hong Kong product of some kind, but it does appear to have some kind of proof mark next to the serial number?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear Dsk, thankyou for the welcome and the interesting information. I must admit that I looked at the slide markings and thought them to be a bit deep compared to the serial number on the other side. Is there meant to be a serial number on the inside of the slide? I must admit, if it is a South American/Phillapine reassembled model then I might sell it.

Is there any way of telling for definite?

Also, the proof house marking next to the serial number is the deactivation stamp. I would post pictures of what it looks like inside, but I know it would make some people cry, but if people are interested in how much they butcher weapons in the UK then I will.

Thanks again

Ramsey Green

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'd have to agree,it's not a Colt. I would like to see what is done to deactivate them. Does it require any license or other government permission to own a deactivated pistol ?

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
ramsey_green said:
I would post pictures of what it looks like inside, but I know it would make some people cry, but if people are interested in how much they butcher weapons in the UK then I will.
Since it's just a mutt anyway I'm sure nobody will shed a tear, so go ahead and show us what they do to butcher guns over there. As sad as it is, I'd much rather see an old 1911 turned into a non-firing display piece than melted down completely!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Good eye nrmcolt. I agree. The slide nor the frame are Colt. I feel I can safely assume nothing about this pistol is Colt.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
bogus guns Uk and all

Your "non firnig gun" actually looks like a fake. DSK cannot be fooled when it comes from Colt. If I lived in the UK - I'd be trying to escape. I couldn't take it without a real firing 1911. NATIONALMATCH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Internals

Dear all, thankyou for all the responses, as requested, here are the pictures of the internals + paperwork...

The chamber and barrel are cut and a metal rod is welded across the chamber.

A better view of the cut.

The firing pin is removed and the facia is cut at a 30degree angle (ish).

How would they have gone about stamping the Colt symbols on the slide then?

My Deactivation Certificate. I wonder if I could claim under the Trade Descriptions Act?

So what do you get in the US then when you purchase a firearm? Im thinking of moving over there at some point later in my life, provided I can get a job and a VISA, or just come over for a holiday to have a go on the ranges, having never shot live ammunition before.

Kind regards to all.

Ramsey Green

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
In most places in the USA, you go to the gun store, fill out a few forms, go home and wait at least five business days, then go back and pick up your new toy. Only a few places in the USA actually require permits and registration to own a handgun. Washington DC and Chicago are the only major cities to actually ban them (so far).

BTW thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Here in Louisiana which is a very gun friendly state, you go to the store, fill out a form for a background check, the dealer calls the Government with your information and in most cases, after the background check, you go home with your new gun right then and there.

There is no waiting period here, or gun registration for that matter.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Not sure if you would be able to purchase if you retained your current citizenship. What do you get when you buy a gun? Well, you get to buy all ammo you want and shoot as much as you want.

The only real restriction is that you can't buy a fully automatic weapon, unless you have a special firearms dealer license (big bucks, lots of yearly paperwork). New York and Chicago have ownership restrictions, but pretty much any where else is fair game.

Now this is a first, a gun owning virgin. :eek:

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
Oh yes, you'll have to be either a US citizen or apply for an alien firearms license. I'm sure it isn't too difficult, only time-consuming.

BTW were any modifications made to the frame? If that's all they did to it, it seems there's nothing stopping you (physically, I mean) from just getting a new top end and "reactivating" the pistol in the future. :hrm:

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,219 Posts
Even if you just come for a visit, I'd be glad to have you shoot all my 1911s, and anything else you fancy. The Seattle, WA area is a beautiful part of the country, not too different from England, in terms of weather, and fairly gun friendly. We're a hotbed of 1911 fanatics, too. I was a guest of a British citizen, a few years ago, and would be glad to return the favor to a countryman.

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
There's actually a fairly large British community in and around Seattle as well, with at least a couple of British specialty restaurant/food stores if you suddenly start suffering withdrawals from not eating pig's feet and bangers n' mash. :)

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Wow, you never fired live ammo??

There are lots of places in Georgia where you can rent a variety of different handguns and shoot in an indoor range. You would receive proper safety instruction etc. But I must warn you, after firing live ammo, you would probably never be the same again. Going home to the homeland of the 'ol bulldog himself (who fired lots of live ammo and smoked lots of fine cigars and lived a long time to tell about it), would only leave you longing to come back.

While camping with the cubscouts recently, one of our families had to stop all camp activities to have ........you guessed it.........tea. We all got a real kick out of it. He probably works for JCB (backhoe people). They have a plant here in Georgia. They just got a $140M contract with the DOD for a high speed front end loader. Maybe you can get on with them. Then you'd truely be in the land of milk, honey, and live ammuntion. Let me know if I can help. ..........Rob

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
Wow, you never fired live ammo??
Some of you guys seem to have forgotten, but recently England was added to growing list of countries where civilian gun ownership has been all but outlawed. The rich folk can still run around shooting pheasants with their fancy over-unders, but handgun ownership has pretty much become a thing of the past. Of course, I'm sure none of the rich and famous in England are allowed to keep handguns either, right? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts