1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 475 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a modification I do on just about all slide stops as it allows easy installation and doesn't affect function. It is easily done with a needle file. To install, the slide stop is positioned directly on top of the plunger and you can feel it saddle over it and push it straight in. Bingo!

LOG

Here's a picture of it in place and ready to push straight in.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Nice idea Log, now where the Hell is the rest of the Blaster! :biglaugh: Give us a peak. R.K.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Your too late, bro. You messed up and quietly posted that idea on another thread awhile back, but I spotted it. It works like a bloomin' charm, and as I have done with so many other ideas I have happily swiped from this forum, I have already included this one in my repertoire.

Guess I could at least go on and belatedly thank you for the idea, though. So, . . .

Thanks!

Best,
Jon

·
Premium Member
15,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool Jon, it's true that I had posted this idea that I'm sure others have discovered also, but just had the chance to post a picture and it clarifies the words for all to see and understand. So no more idiot scratches.

LOG

·
Premium Member
15,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pardon my ignorance, but what does that do and what difference does the mod have?

I added a second picture for you, so you can see the idea at work. Some slide stops will go in easy while many are difficult, and this modification makes all of them easy.

LOG

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Log man,

Nice idea. I really like that! I never thought of taking a file and getting that extreme with it.

I do the same, except I BEVEL the edge where you made the cut. I find that most slide stops are not rounded there where they should be. Once you file a bit off, and round off that edge (that makes contact when you push it in against the plunger contact), the slide stop goes right in with very little pressure.

I also round off the edge of my magazine release (where it makes contact with the magazine) so when you insert a mag, it glides right in and locks with little pressure! :rock:

Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm pretty new to 1911's, only had mine for about 3 weeks now, but I've never had a problem getting the slide catch in. I just push down and the plunger tube seems to depress itself, cycle the slide back and forward, and the slide catch usually catches and depresses all the way in.

I have a lot more trouble getting the thumb safety in, depressing the other end of the plunger tube. I filed down the end of a plastic cheapo paint brush I use to apply Slide Glide to the pistol and was using this for a few days, but it just chipped.

·
Premium Member
15,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Log man,
I do the same, except I BEVEL the edge where you made the cut.
Thanks!
This is the approach that I took and am sure many take and is effective in allowing easier installation, however it can reduce the profile of the bottom of the lug where it contacts the follower for slide lock at empty. This opens the door for the follower to jump the slide stop lug and jam the mag. Due to this happening I changed to this modification which doesn't change the bottom profile of the lug at all.

LOG

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
DANG. This idea is just about 24 hours late. Put my first little scratch on my NEW Colt Combat Commander xse. CRAP. Oh well. Its broken in now so i cant cry over spilt milk. (or can i?):bawling::bawling:

·
Registered
198 Posts
DANG. This idea is just about 24 hours late. Put my first little scratch on my NEW Colt Combat Commander xse. CRAP. Oh well. Its broken in now so i cant cry over spilt milk. (or can i?):bawling::bawling:
I always cry over spilt milk...can't stop it. I think you can get that scratch out, though.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,961 Posts
I'm pretty new to 1911's, only had mine for about 3 weeks now, but I've never had a problem getting the slide catch in. I just push down and the plunger tube seems to depress itself, cycle the slide back and forward, and the slide catch usually catches and depresses all the way in.
That's the way it's supposed to be, but since you can't expect parts to be in spec, you get plunger tubes that are too short, plungers that are too long, slide stops without the proper contours, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,278 Posts
I just got an Officers stainless, first 1911 I recall having so much difficulty getting the SS to drop in with a little push. Someone else put an idiot mark on it but I can understand that what with how hard it goes in. I'll try your mod Logman.
Parts

1 - 20 of 475 Posts