1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am interested in an out-of the -box 1911 for IDPA.
I would like to keep the price in the neighborhood of $1000.
Is this possible? Or do I have to wait and go high-end to get the
things that a competition gun needs like the reliability package, match trigger, etc.? It seems like many of the companies, include much of the "loaded" stuff on the gun for it to be ready at sale.

Or-

Is it better to pay a little less for the gun and have a 'smith
work it?

Even though I have been shooting for a long time, I have no
experience in competition. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Any 1911 that runs will work as long as you will. No need to spend big bucks. If you are into 'features' the Kimber TLE is about the most bang for the buck (unless you don't want night sights or checkering). A Springfield Loaded, Colt, or standard Kimber will work just fine too.

Just be sure the gun is reliable and hits to POA. Everything else is the shooter.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
K1500 said:
...Just be sure the gun is reliable and hits to POA. Everything else is the shooter.
That's really about it. My 1991 works wells, but I like my Bilby Kimber better. If I was going to buy a dedicated comp gun for IDPA, look at a STI Trojan.

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
John Forsyth said:
If I was going to buy a dedicated comp gun for IDPA, look at a STI Trojan.
I second that. Easy choice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The Trojan has come up often from what I've read
here. The Wilson KZ_45 also has been well mentioned. However I am not fond of the KZ's grip.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
As both a Colt as well as custom 1911 nut, I still have to agree with the Trojan being a great first choice. You can have one in a caliber for ESP (9mm, .38 Super or .40 S&W) or in .45 ACP for CDP.

Never met a shooter who owned one who wasn't happy.

Good luck!

Brent

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was my next question-

-do you you guys like the .40 or .45 for competition?
I've heard .38 super was to hard to find. -and I don't reload (yet).

I guess 10mm is out of the question?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
For ESP the 9mm is fine, and I've just started using that caliber on occasion for ESP myself. As indicated its fun and cheap.

However I think 9x23 and .38 Super make for slightly faster shooting and certainly more reliable calibers for 1911's. I'm sure others will disagree, but my experience has proved this to me again and again.

The 10mm is by no means useless in IDPA- its just a bit penalized. In the "good old days" you'd shoot a 10mm against the .45 ACP in CDP, where it belonged. Now you have to shoot against minor calibers in ESP. If you find reliable 9 round magazines and handload the 10mm down as low as possible you can keep up with the smaller ESP calibers pretty well.

If IDPA is mostly about fun for you and you enjoy the 10mm, by all means use it in IDPA. I have for years, as well as one of this forum's moderators- and many other local cronies of mine. It too is a really reliable caliber in a 1911.

Brent

·
Registered
173 Posts
I like my Springfield 9mm, but would not buy another. The fit is not what you would call tight. The Trojan is a much better buy for the money.

Another thing to think about is will you use it for IPSC as well as IDPA? If that is an option, don't go with a 9mm.

The other thing to think about is do you want single or double stack? Double gives an advantage in reloads.

Just a few things to think about before you make your decision.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Track down a series 1 Kimber Custom or Custom target in Stainless. Add an S&A magwell. Make sure it runs reliably with the ammo of your choice. If not have a reliability job done and get a spare parts kit including a tuned extractor as a spare. If y ou have to get the reliability work done or trigger job have the smith open up the S&A magwell and blend it. You'll be good to go well under $1k.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Mostly for fun -

but its hard not to be competitive. Being immature in IDPA, I was thinking about shooting 3 different guns. CZ 9mm-SSP, HK p7m8-
ESP, and a 1911 in CDP if that's possible.
I may be having delusions of grandeur. I just know I like to shoot at stuff and work different puzzles from different angles.

Probably shouldn't have dumped the Supermatch for the P7M8
(dream gun).

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just know I like to shoot at stuff and work different puzzles from different angles.

If thats true you'll like IPSC alot better than IDPA.

IDPA has become a simon seez move here engage these targets then move here and on and on :barf:

I got a Kimber Custom Target (series 1) in 40 that works well for me in ESP or L10.

I don't see any STI Trojans in my area. I did see a few at the Single Stack Nationals. From what I've read there great guns. I just can't talk myself into spending the $ just to shoot CDP. IDPAs classes are so similar the only thing people seem to care about is who won overall. Why limit yourself to 8 rounds?

If I had my way IDPA would either / 1. allow CDP to use 10 rounders. OR 2. Make the max round count 16.
That would make a level playing field. :D :D :D

Jim

·
Registered
797 Posts
Get one that runs "reliably", is comfortable to shoot to "you" and has good sights and your good to go!

Pistol Jim --- :confused: :scratch:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Pistol Jim said:
IDPA has become a simon seez move here engage these targets then move here and on and on :barf:
That should never be the case. Poor course design or poorly run matches perhaps.
If I had my way IDPA would either / 1. allow CDP to use 10 rounders. OR 2. Make the max round count 16.
That would make a level playing field. :D :D :D
Jim
Jim, you gotta get out of that IPSC "Overall" match winner frame of mindset when discussing IDPA rules. I don't know why people are so hung up on overall when we only really compete against others in our own division.

When was the last time you carried a concealed a single stack 1911 with a ten round magazine?

Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Things have changed-

dramtically over the weekend. I attended a fairly extensive training class this weekend and found that most of the guns being shot (including my own Glock 17) were too small for my hands. After a fairly calculated and extensive analysis of my groups (overgripping), it was suggested by my instructor that maybe the full size Glock .45 (21) or a double stack 1911 might just be the ticket. I think the SIG 220 is a double stack also.
So, in lieu of that advice, off the top of your head, what other options in a double stack 1911 do I have?
(KZ-45 I know for sure)

In reference to IPSC- this may come off as being sarcastic, and it surely isn't, but I don't want to be out gunned from a launch pad. I rather be out shot. Just my personal preference.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
1. Try before you buy. I would be a bit leery of the overgripping diagnosis. If that is the case, I would think a shift of the hand will cure it, not a fatter gun.

2. I believe the KZ 45 is thinner than the standard 1911, so if fat is what you want the KZ is out.

3. I think the 220 is a single stack.

4. Para makes some fat guns. The G21 and G20 are also pretty fat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
STI, Para , SV.

I had a G21. You must have huge hands for that one. A Sig 220 is a single stack.

Mark- Must be poor coarse design. It's kinda like some of the indoor IPSC matches I've shot. Just instead of boxes IDPA use's a barricade here a garbage can there. No options gets boring. My club won't allow retreat stages for safety reasons. Most of the time we don't get scenarios read to us. It's just shoot T1-T3 from the barricade move to garbage can engage T4-T6 and on and on.

In my area combined results in IPSC is almost completly gone. Theres one club out of 5 that still offers it.

Jim

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I do-

Have pretty big hands. I could palm a basketball when I was 13.
I guess I'll just have to head for the gun shop and just grip a few. G21 is ok, but I wanted a 1911. If I remember correctly the Kimber (supermatch I) I previously owned, had beefed up wood grips when I bought it. Felt good and shot good. The
CZ-97 feels good, but I don't want to have to shoot (or re-work) 40# trigger pull.

I guess it's back to the drawing board. Thanks anyway.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts