1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there all I am new to this forum and I am looking for some advice on getting started in competition shooting in the IDPA and IPSC. I have purchased and am waiting for a Kimber Custom Classic Royale. My first question is what would any of you recommend out there that might need to be modified to make this ready for use in this area. Being new I would welcome any suggestions that you might have to offer

·
Registered
166 Posts
Gandalf,

If you are just getting into this my advice to you is this: Once you get your gun clean it and lubricate it...get some quality factory ammo and just go out and shoot the gun to make sure it's good to go out of the box. Other than that, a quality holster,belt,mag holders, eye/ear protection, quality mags (7 rounders will work for IDPA but to shoot IPSC also you will be better served with 8 round mags).

For now I would just shoot the gun and only have work done on it to fix reliability problems. Give yourself some time to decide what modifications, if any, will work best for you and your gun.

As you go to matches you can see what kinds of modifications people have on their guns and get an idea of what will work for you. Remember, what works for someone else may not be the best choice for you.

You have picked a great gun to start out shooting in both IDPA & IPSC.

For IDPA clubs in your area go to www.idpa.com and look under the affiliated clubs section listed by state/country.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your help I guess the only thing that I was most worried about was if having fixed iron sights would handicap me in any way. Thank you again for your input it really is greatly appreciated from someone who is very new in this field and very excited about it.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,428 Posts
I have adjustable sights on my IPSC gun, and I've adjusted them a total of one click since sighting-in four years ago. Once you get a good load, and your point-of-aim/point-of-impact is where you want it, you'll probably never have to mess with them. As long as your gun works every time with your ammo and mags, you're off to a great start.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you want to shoot IPSC, then you will need 10 round magazines - for the "Limited 10" class. Wilson "bureaucrat" 10-rounders are the best followed by Chip McCormick. Also, I don't know anyone who uses 7-round mags in IDPA - they all use 8 with one in the pipe. Have fun getting to be a better shooter! It is the journey, not the destination that is fun. The destination is simpy another goal to reach for.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Use Uncle Mikes stuff for the first match just to see what everyone else is using, just to have a better idea of what might work for you.

Leave the gun alone unless those sights are out of whack compared to where the bullet is hitting.

There will be many people there, especially the really good shooters who will be more than happy to help you in any way possible. Keep an eye out for the know-it-all BSers, but they are easy to spot.

Experience is such a factor in IDPA and IPSC that shooting a slingshot with a paper bag holster would still be beneficial. You might want to double check the equipment rules before trying that slingshot/paper bag thing though...

The only thing you might really need is a good trigger job, since a bad trigger pull will only make things harder. Your gun could arrive with a good trigger or a bad trigger, so you'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your input I really appreciate are there any other things that I should do to prepare besides getting a holster, magazine holders, and good magazines. I'll take all the advice I can get even on the best ways to practice. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Gandalf,

I was in the same position about a year ago and I think I can offer you a little advice since I have been in your position recently. First things first. I went out and bought a cheapy Uncle Mikes holster that was a real piece of junk. However, it was cheap and it worked!

Second, I just showed up to our match and started asking people if they had any mag holders and I eventually found some to borrow. Those can be pretty expensive sometimes. If you buy them, make sure to buy at least 4.

Third, save money now and go buy some Shooting Star ten round mags. I don't know what the IDPA restriction is on those but I bet you could just load 8 rounds in them instead of the full ten. The ten round mags will give you a great advantage in IPSC style shooting vs. the eight rounders. Go shoot your first match and you will see. After shooting my gun for about two months at 20-40 yards I was pretty used to it and decided to shoot my first match. If at all possible try to shoot from kneeling position, and around baricades before you goto your first match.

The only modifications that I could possibly suggest would be to put a magwell on, get a trigger job, and put an extended mag release on your pistol. I did all of the above for about 120 bucks.

Most importantly, learn to shoot your pistol accurately, and slowly. I did this at first and it has really paid off. (I just finished first in my division at last match.) Good luck, shoot steady, and have fun.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Glad you asked. I'm still fairly new to IDPA and IPSC. I've been quite successful in my local club matches and just finished a respectable 5th at the Oklahoma State IDPA Championship. Here is what I've found to be the trick ticket on my Classic Stainless for competition.

1. Replace your mainspring housing with a Smith and Alexander mag guide. This is a drop in part.

2. While your doing that replace the mainspring out of a Wilson SpringTune kit.

3. Replace the firing pin spring as well.

4. Put some good checkered "wood" grips on.

Put 500-1000 rounds through the gun to "wear it in." Use a good quality lubricant. Kimber recommends Tetra Oil and Tetra Grease (for the frame rails), but I have had incredible luck with a product called Ez Ox. It was designed to replace CLP in Desert Storm because it doesn't attract dirt and grip. Use plenty of oil.

Since your Royale already has checkered wood grips, $100 should get the job done. Use Wilson or McCormick Power Mags.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
You are getting some good advice here. I shot a Glock 17 my first year. Was doing OK. Picked up a friends 1911 and cut 25 seconds off the classifier. Been using a 1911 ever since.

They key to it all is go out and have fun. You will be surprized how good you can get when you are having fun.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
366 Posts
Gandalf,
Beware of some advice. It can cost you valuable time and money. For example, you CANNOT use a 10 round magazine in the CDP division and only load it with 8 rounds. This is expressly illegal in any sanctioned IDPA match. Last year at the IDPA Nationals someone had brought their high capacity magazines because they "heard it would be OK". The guy was not even allowed to compete. He had spent $140 in an entry fee, traveled hundreds of miles and spent more on a hotel bill. The officials said they were "very sorry" but he could not participate. And another thing - do not be cheap when it comes to magazines. Along with ammunition it one of the top two causes of malfunctions - as in failures to feed and jams. Is it really worth dozens of hours of your time practicing with hundreds of dollars worth of ammunition to spend $25 versus $30 for a magazine? It will cost you valuable seconds to clear jams. This is what you are practicing for - being accurate and fast.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yeah, be aware of advice...get a rule book. For instance, extended magazine releases are forbidden (page 9). As for you mags, you can only load 8 (page 8) but that dosen't mean you will be sent home if you have a pistol with 10 round mags (like a G21) unless you have long mags like my Brown mags, in which case your pistol won't fit in the box (page 8)...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Gandalf,

Just to clear confusion, Im an IPSC shooter and I by all means know very little. But what I do know, consistantly works for me, and my BUDGET... hah.. By the way, I decided to put a removable extender on my mag release, that away I could remove it if I wanted to shoot IDPA. Also, as for mag capacity, I still would go with the ten rounders FOR competition. Read Ankeny's post in this thread if confused.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm surprised that someone was not allowed to compete with a 10 round mag. I just checked my IDPA rulebook and in the FAQ it says that Hi-Caps are allowed provided they are only loaded to the limit of the Division (8 for CDP, 10 for ESP/SSP).

I do know of a guy (since I shoot with him at local level) that arrived at the 2000 Nationals with his .40 cal double-stack 1911 and extended mags that was not allowed to shoot. However, this was because the gun + mag did not fit in the box. He had been told that only the gun needed to fit.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ankeny & jfrancis,
Thanks for clarifying this 8-round or 10-round magazine discussion for Gandalf. For CDP the box fit is the point. I am not aware of any 10-round magazines, along with a full-sized 1911 (as Gandalf has) that will fit in the 8 3/4" x 6" x 1 5/8" box.

Gandalf,
Hopefully we have not confused you. Is this issue now as clear as water, tea or mud?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey all thanks so much for the advice. You've all helped clear up some issues that were rather confusing for me as far as the little details the only other modification I was thinking of besides what you all have mentioned was adding an extended beveled Mag well. Thank you again I really appreciate you all chipping in to help a new guy who is just starting out in this are. I am really excited to get out there and start shooting.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The extended mag well should be OK as long as you stick to the less extreme types. The S&A model is a good one and is perfectly legal - I've shot two Nationals with one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gandalf,

I recently entered into the IDPA arena myself. There is alot of good advice in the above posts. There are only a couple of things that I have to add and these are along the lines of G.Kennedy's post. First of all have fun ... if your local club is like mine a great bunch of guys more than willing to help. Also as some one stated spend some time there and you will figure out who's who and who thinks they are.......
I would recomend waiting on the additions and alterations until you have shot a few matches, especially if the budget is a factor.The money would be better spent on ammunition, range time, match fees, good "leather" etc...... most local matches the clubs with let new shooters slide by on the regs for a while....
When you catch up to the ability of the gun, then start making the changes, also you will have more experience to base your decisions on.....
It's easy to get excited, I know, I still am!!! Finances are a big factor for me right now so I prioritize making it to matches

Well be safe and have fun !!!!

good luck and let us know how you do.....

gr

[This message has been edited by kahana (edited 04-13-2001).]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts