1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a holster to compete in IDPA matches. The rules appendix on the IDPA web site list several different holsters that are legal for use, but not having experience with any of them, I was wondering if someone familiar with IDPA might be able to recommend a holster they may have had experience with.
Thanks for your help and your time.

------------------
Ron

·
Registered
143 Posts
I and several people use Wilson's "Lo-Profile". I also have his "Adjuster" but have not used that one in competition.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,212 Posts
I've been using the Bianchi Avenger and similar FIST Sport. Most holster makers have a similar design (Kramer Vertical Scabbard, Sparks 55BN)

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
I think any IWB holster will work. A FOBUS would be a cheap and very practical way to get started.

------------------
"Even the most normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats"
Mencken

·
Registered
89 Posts
Now don't flame me as a gamer but, using an IWB I tend to grab alot of shirt and the Fobus holds the gun into the body also. There are many holsters that can serve both purposes. Try not to get one with a thumbbreak. I use the Wilson Practical and Tactical Response or is it the Rapid Response. Oh well just make sure the trigger is covered and the front isn't lower than the ejection port.

·
Registered
21,911 Posts
What gun?
A Fobus or Uncle Mike's (Kydex, not nylon) is a cheap way to get started if you have a gun they mold for. Don't buy a Fobus for a 5" 1911 with a post front sight, the muzzle protrudes and their sight track is small. It is great for a Commander and OK for a 1911 with ramp sight. Fine for Sig-Sauer, Glock, etc.
Otherwise, I have Safariland 5181 and 560 Customfit, Kramer plain scabbard and vertical scabbard, and a local copy of a Sparks.
Lots of Kydex out there, I see BladeTech KyTac, Sidearmor, and more. All work well enough I can't pick a favorite.

·
Registered
6 Posts
G-Code is my choice.

www.range5.com

------------------
This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine …”

I'm a G-CODE holster fan!
www.range5.com

MOLON LABE

[This message has been edited by Scott Evans (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
143 Posts

The high-overall time at the 2001 IDPA Nationals was won by SSP/Master shooter David Sevigny using a Ky-Tac OWB Sooperhooper handmade holster. There are other IDPA champions using Ky-Tac custom gear for competition or carry. Our IWB choice is the innovative Braveheart. Feel free to drop us an email with any questions! Safe shooting!

------------------
SKD Tactical, Inc. www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

[This message has been edited by skdtac (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have three of Dave's Ky-Tac holsters; one IWB and two straight drop belt holsters. One was custom made for an extended dust cover SV. I think they are the best of the breed for kydex type holsters; both for speed of draw and tension adjustments. That said, any kydex is tuff on the finish.

------------------
Whoever said you can’t buy happiness never owned a good 1911.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The folks I shoot with LOVE Kydex holsters for IDPA...Bladetech, Sidearmor, Ky-Tac. I have used a Bladetech OWB for a number of years under numerous conditions/carry situations, never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Crawdad,
Do you have a holster and gun combo that you are currently using now? If so and it is suitable for everyday, concealed carry, then I say, why not just dance with the one that brung ya?

Even if you have a concealment holster now that not on the approved list, unless you are competing on a regional or national level, it is unlikely that the holster nazis are going to call you on your gear. Of course that depends alot on the anal retentive qualitys of your local RO.

Also, just because a holster is not listed on the IDPA "approved list" doesn't mean that it hasn't been approved. The boys in AR move a little slow sometimes at updating their web and to prove the point, I had the NP-1 and 2 approved over a month ago and it is not on the list as of yet. Email them if you have any questions concerning non-listed holsters.

Decide on what you want to get out of IDPA.

Is winning a match high on your priority list, or is improving your gun handling skills in preparation for a possible defensive situation the main goal?

If your answer is for the former, than seek out the fastest, slicker than snot on a brass doorknob holster you can get your hands on. As long as it's on the approved list, then it should be suitable for everday carry as well.

If you are in it strictly for the later, and you carry on a regular or irregular basis, then use the gear that you normally use on the street. After all, that is what IDPA is supposed to be about.

Tony

------------------
Milt Sparks Holsters, Inc.
www.miltsparks.com
[email protected]
Second Best is not an option

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I'm not using anything at the present. I am just getting started with competing and I like very much the way IDPA is set up. Just seems more realistic and a little easier on the wallet to get into. I want to do it for the competition, but hope to improve my defensive skills at the same time. I have a Springfield 5" 1911A1 that I intend to start with, but do not have a holster at all. Hence, the reason for my question. I really appreciate all of the responses and suggestions from every one. I don't want to buy the cheapest thing nor the most expensive, so I think I'll go sort of middle of the road on price. The problem now is making a choice, but you guys have made that a little easier. Thanks.

------------------
Ron

·
Registered
192 Posts
Crawdad, I highly reccomend you at least pick up an uncle mikes kydex holster. They are only $20 and are well worth that price even just to try out. This would be a good way to try out IDPA without dumping a lot of money into a holster to start. If you decide you want something better/different you'll have a better idea what you want after you see fellow competitors equipment.

I really like www.comp-tac.com kydex holsters, but Milt Sparks www.miltsparks.com gets my money for the leather holsters.

Personally I use both. I use a kydex just to see how fast I can be, and I use my iwb leather for real world performance. There is nothing saying you can't shoot a match with a kydex in ESP and an IWB for SSP.

J.R.

·
Super Moderator
13,517 Posts
Crawdad:
Listen to Tony's advice. If you're currently carrying a gun, use what you carry, as long as it's not a shoulder/cross draw or small of the back holster.
If you're not carrying a gun, I suggest that you visit the local IDPA club and talk to the other shooters, see what they use. I'm sure these folks have extra equipment that they can loan and let you try out different stuff.
There is not one perfect holster, etc. What is comfortable for one person isn't necessarily so for others. When or if you're going to carry a gun or compete in IDPA, you'll end up buying lots of different ones. I've spent over $1000 in holsters and mag pouches in the last 15 years.

[This message has been edited by Ricky T (edited 11-29-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
13,517 Posts
Oops, double post.

[This message has been edited by Ricky T (edited 11-29-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
13,517 Posts
Oops. Double post.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Crawdad -

Tony's correct... You need to decide what you want out of IDPA... competition results OR to improve your gun skills. If competition is your priority then go with Kydex type holster, OWB (KyTac, BladeTech, SideArmor, Uncle Mike's, etc.) I've used them and they are REAL fast! Uncle Mikes is a low cost but not a badly made holster. Kydex holsters don't serve my carry needs. IWB Kydex holsters are not as comfortable for me as leather. I feel leather OWB holsters are more secure and hugs the body better than kydex OWB holsters.

I use an Alessi CQCS and a Milt Sparks Summer Special for IDPA and Concealed Carry Type matches. These holsters are plenty FAST while at the same time secure. They are also what I use when I carry my Colt Commander. The rest is Practice, Practice, Practice!

Good luck and enjoy!

[This message has been edited by ILoveMyColt (edited 12-04-2001).]

·
Registered
143 Posts
ILoveMyColt, the holsters you mentioned are excellent holsters, and you stated perfectly why you personally prefer your leather holsters for carry over kydex. What I disagree with is the idea that the kydex vs. leather comparison somehow correlates with a competition-results vs. improving-gun-skills comparison.

Tony, I wholeheartedly agree with the principle behind what you're saying with a caveat- If improving gun handling skills in preparation for a possible defensive situation is my main goal, then I'll go on the record as stating that I want the fastest, slicker-than-snot-on-a-brass-doorknob holster that's suitable for everyday carry, *especially* for use on the street.

For some, that is a leather holster; for others, it's a kydex holster. The variables of comfort, style, retention and stability have a lot to do with the choice. Lots of folks just don't like one material and prefer the other- and that's what it is, a preference. Just like the holster style, cant, or retention level, the holster material is a personal choice. Having a holster made of one material or the other should have no bearing on judging a fighting mindset.

Just thought I'd add my .02 to this good discussion- Crawdad, Good luck with IDPA!

------------------
SKD Tactical, Inc. www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
SkdTac -

Well said Joe... choice of holsters, just like choice of gun is very user specific... one needs to treat the application of holsters just like one's choice in a firearm.

Luckily there are so many great holster makers out there and they all merge their knowledge and skill to present so many options! What other country has as many?

Best regards,
ILoveMyColt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After having read through all the post here (all except one), I went out shopping today and ended up with a Fobus (belt type)holster. I was trying it out when I got home and the first thing I noticed was that the front sight was catching on the bottom of the holster when I started my draw. I was just now going back over some of the post and I came across Jim Watson's post that I obviously didn't pay enough attention to the first around.
He was right on about the Fobus and 5" barrel 1911. Sorry Jim, you were right. I just overlooked what you said.
Going to try and take it back tomorrow and try another one. This time I'll take my pistol with me and try it out there. I was a little reluctant to do that the first time. You know how some people are about that sort of stuff.
Thanks to all. You've been a great help to me. I'll report later on what I end up with.

------------------
Ron

1 - 20 of 21 Posts