1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. What caliber would be the best for both IDPA and IPSC? 45 or 40? I will be realoding... I was leaning towards the 40 due to less recoil, but I have read quite a few negative comments about the 40 and reliability.

·
Registered
483 Posts
.40 can be hard to get to run in a single stack. I recommend .45, but if you have the time and relaod your own, then .40 may save you some money.

P.S. Recoil at major power factor is snappier with the .40, but not a whole lot lighter. .40 also puts you in ESP class in IDP, while .45 puts you in CDP. No real change for IPSC since you'll likely be doing best in Limited 10.

·
Super Moderator
7,876 Posts
I have a 40 single stack and I shoot with 4 other guys locally that have them also.

No problems here.

I load my ammo a little long, 1.169-1.200.

Factory ammo could be tough.

Tripp mags go a long way to helping any 40 single stack issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there no actual shooting advantage that the 40 has over the 45? I assumed the shot recovery would be quicker.

·
Registered
483 Posts
F=MA

Force=mass*acceleration

You can push a 230gr ball from a .45 at a measly 717 fps to make power factor. With a 180gr .40 you need 917 fps. The .40 recoil is sharper and somewhat faster, but not a something that will make you say :"wow".

The only true advantage would be where you have to squeeze a shot between a couple of no shoots......with a .40 you have .05 more leeway. ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Not trying to hijack a thread here, but Tom how do you like the Tripp Mags? I thought about trying on in my single stack 40. Are they worth the cost?

·
Super Moderator
7,876 Posts
blue jacket said:
Not trying to hijack a thread here, but Tom how do you like the Tripp Mags? I thought about trying on in my single stack 40. Are they worth the cost?
They are well worth the cost. To drop big money on a pistol to then skimp on mags is beyond me. I need to call Virgil and order more.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Just a word of warning, I ordered some Tripp mags, and they are the only thing I can find that makes my 10mm unreliable. Tripp sent replacement mags and different followers, but they just changed how the gun didn't work. Perhaps he just gave up on getting them to work, since he quit responding to my polite e-mails a week or two before the holidays started.

Incidentally, the gun continues to run great with Colt and Metalform mags. I don't mind spending extra money, and Tripp was an upstanding guy to deal with (until his end went silent, anyway), but I do expect expensive products to work eventually.

He sure did a nice hard chrome job on one of my guns before he got out of that business, though.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Based on the .10mm's I have owned, Colt or Metalform with the round follower and +10% Wolff spring are by far the best.
None of the 9rd mags are worth a hoot, even downloaded.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
The STI Trojans are good 1911s" and are some of the best value for the money, but their mag catches in the .40S&W hold the mags high which is good for 8 round factory lenght .40S&W ammo in .40 mags, but not good for 10MM mags needed for .40S&W loaded long to 1.200. The value box Winchesters 165gr. ammo at Wal-Mart will usually make the 165 power factor as STI barrels seem tighter than other barrels. Look for a pre-series II Kimber Custom Target if you can fine one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts