1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you tell me what, if any, magwells are available for the Para Ordnance P-14, or P-16 that will fit in the IDPA box?
One of my friends ordered one from Dawson the week before the state IDPA match that was SUPPOSED to be o.k., but, it wouldn't fit in the box.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
With the double stack mags end a wedge shape, don't Para's kinda have a mag well?

·
Registered
877 Posts
RH45 said:
Can you tell me what, if any, magwells are available for the Para Ordnance P-14, or P-16 that will fit in the IDPA box?
One of my friends ordered one from Dawson the week before the state IDPA match that was SUPPOSED to be o.k., but, it wouldn't fit in the box.
I would try one of the versions that requires removing some metal from the bottom of the grip. I know the S&A requires removing about 1/8-inch from the bottom, so it's worth a look. Maybe check with the makers/smiths directly too. They would be your best source of information.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I'm not sure if a Para with the S&A magwell will fit in the IDPA box or not. Keep in mind if it's a close fit some material could be milled off the magwell. My choice would be the S&A magwell as it works with all base pads without modification to the base pads, and this I like. I like the looks of the Dawson magwell but it works best with their base pads.
Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill D. You are correct. Even without a magwell, it is easier to hit than a single stack with a magwell, but, I picked up a .38 super "open gun" a couple of months ago that has a small magwell on it and I'm getting spoiled. I have yet to miss a mag change with it.
Does anybody out there have an email address, or website address for S&A, so I can contact them?

·
Registered
826 Posts
This is my p16-40 with the s&a
I shaved down the sides so It fits in the IDPA box.
I would definitly use this one again.

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I emailed Smith& Alexander yesterday and already got an answer, here is their response:

Both styles of the mag guide will fit in the box, we have modified the Full para for IDPA. Just specify this is the one you want

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sent them an email on Monday, asking them that same question, and they haven't replied yet.

·
Registered
276 Posts
S&A fits as I have one on both my P14 and P18. Also have used a G&B Custom magwell that fit.

I have had more problems with basepads fitting than magwells.

S&A is the way to go in my opinion.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ed Brown finally sent me an answer yesterday. They said they didn't know if their magwells would fit in the box, or not.
I have heard that with some Para magwells, you have to trim some of the basepads so the mags would seat. I don't know why somebody would make a magwell that the factory mags wouldn't fit in to. That seems kind of stupid to me.
Did you have to trim the basepads on stock Para mags to fit in the Smith & Alexander magwells you have?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
The beauty of the S&A magwell is once its fit to the gun it will work with all the base pads on the market incuding Para stock base pads without doing any triming to the base pads. This is the reason I prefer using an S&A magwell, however they do require more work to install.
Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
276 Posts
Like Bob said, the S&A is the only one that allows unmodified basepads. You can even seat the flush pad 10 rd mags and have enough sticking out to seat solidly.

No matter what way you go with a Para, some modifications will need to be made if you want a magwell. Either to the frame (S&A)or the basepads (every other magwell). The S&A is the better way to go as often, basepads are weakened by trimming or thinning on them. I have had some crack and come off in the middle of a mag change during a match. Bullets, mag spring, and other parts launch all over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts