1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of setting up reloading for the first time. I am now ordering components. I would like some recommendations on what bullets I should select for my Col XS. Help.

·
Registered
826 Posts
For IDPA you need to shoot major. Power factor is 180 for major.
To figure it out you need to multiply bullet weight times the speed (fps). Then divide by 1000.
EX:
230gr x 785 fps = 180,550

180550/1000 = 180.550 = 180.6

(barely major)

I shot some IDPA (informally) and I shot a 225 gr flat point with a velocity of 800fps. It made major on paper, but I doubt if it would have passed muster if chrono'd; the power factor was 180 exactly! AND I was shooting from a Commander model to boot.

good luck!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
The current power factor for CDP is 165. For all the others it is 125.

My current load is:

200gr West Coast RN
4.6gr VV N310
WLP
Mixed Brass
OAL= 1.250"

Velocity in my 5 in Kimber avg's 850fps.

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
PERFECTION

IMI case (www.wideners.com, but call to order), CCI300 (may substitute Federal 150), Rainier 230g TCJ-RN, 5.2g W231, OAL 1.250"+.015"/-.005", LEE Carbide Factory Crimp die.
If loading used cases size with LEE / EGW undersized sizer die.

If accuracy proves insufficient change bullet brand and construction: R-P 230g FMJ, W-W 230g FMJ, etc...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the answers. My Colt XS has shot very well with factory Winchester 230 FMJ . Would it be smart to start my loading with any of the better quality 230 fmj's or drop it down to 200FMJ's?

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
I and several of my cohorts use a factory ball equivalent load. 5.5 grs of 231 under a 230 gr FMJ in mixed brass with Winchester primers. You won't have to worry about making PF.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Best load I've seen for IDPA is a semi-wadcutter, as it leaves the most obvious hole in the paper. If I ever get my Dillon press up and running, that's what I'll be loading. 200 grain lead swc.

·
Registered
688 Posts
IDPA loads

I was using:

4.6 gr IMR 700-X over a 237 (yes 237) grain round nose lead.
170 power factor.

This past summer, I switched to:

4.8 gr Bullseye over a 200 gr swcl. 170 power factor.

The swc's gave me better accuracy thru my Springfields.

·
Registered
972 Posts
It's kind of sad to see IDPA going the same way IPSC went some 20 years ago.

The original idea was a form of competition for "carry guns". That would imply shooting "carry ammunition". All I see on the internet is "what gun should I buy/build for IDPA" and "how light can I load ammo for IDPA".

My approach has always been to duplicate the velocity and bullet weight of my carry ammo in my handloads. Guess that puts me in the minority.

Oh well!!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Dave T said:
The original idea was a form of competition for "carry guns". That would imply shooting "carry ammunition". All I see on the internet is "what gun should I buy/build for IDPA" and "how light can I load ammo for IDPA".

Sorry, Dave, I know where you're coming from. However, any time there is a timer and scoresheet present, it becomes a competitive event.

·
Registered
972 Posts
johnnybrave,

I know and even understand to an extent. I just feel compelled to point out the historical truths every once in a while. It does no good but for the time I'm typing it I feel a little better.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Dave, I'm with you. I shoot EVERY kind of match with the same 230 gr "carry equivalent": USPSA, IDPA, Action Pistol, 3-Gun, Steel Challenge, our local Steel Madness, bullseye matches at the indoor mrange, "fun shoots" with various groups etc. etc. etc.

All my shooting is 'practice', and while I don't place at the top in the competitions, I always learn a little more and get a little smoother, so I win every time :D :cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
WESHOOT2:

I practice with IMI brass, but I'm thinking of using pickup brass for competition rather than worrying about picking up my brass.

Generally, why and when do you use the undersized die?

Tanks...

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm with Dave T.
My buds and I all try to shoot reloads that are factory equivalent. My 9mm reloads are a 124 at just over 1100 fps PF-137, my .38 reloads are a 158 at 875 fps for a PF-138, and my .45 acp are a 230 at about 825 fps for a PF-189. I shoot the same .45acp load in both CDP and SSR, where they run about 800fps for PF-184.
These are chronographed loads.

I'm not in the running for any prizes, awards, $$, or trophies so I try to keep it real. (I always wanted to say that. :D)

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
'U' DIE

Used for 'range' brass; confirms tight case for reduced chance of bullet set-back (brass loses its ability to securely hold the bullet as it's used over and over, and since there's no good way to confirm the condition of 'range' brass), thereby extending the useful life of low-pressure cases like the 45 ACP.

I use 'regular' dies for sizing new unfired cases, but use undersized dies for many calibers when loading junk, er, 'range' brass.

Setback (or bullet creep in revolvers) bad. Bad.

Make sense?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts