1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Our club runs more low and no light than most other clubs locally. I have seen shooters try to use lights that they wear on their head, held in ther mouth, clipped on hats, 5 D-Cell mag lights that are laid on the ground and light up the entire range, led lights that allow them to still use their night sights,....

We have come up with a couple options that seem to work.

Let shooters use handheld lights of their own choosing. The light has to be held in the hand, not worn or placed on the gun.

Provide the shooters with a light and specify when they can set the light down.

Let the shooters decide if they want to use a light or not.

The last option usually backfires on those opting for no light. The can see the target, but not good enough and they can hit it, but thier downs never seem to make up for the speed.

We also run low light and don't allow shooters to use a flashlight. By mixing this type stage in a match with some of the other listed above, it all seems to even out in the end.

One thing to keep in mind is what would you do if it realy happened. Would you go put on your head light and use that if you were in a shoot to protect your life situation? Would you set your flashlight down every time you were read to shoot at a person who is moving and probably shooting at you? I am not saying this is training. I am saying keep it real.

God luck

·
Registered
173 Posts
If it was stated solve the problem, you did not need to use a flashlight. If it stated solve the problem with a flashlight, then you had to use one.

If the intention was to have the shooters use a flashlight, it needs to be stated in the COF. Especially if the stage was run as a low light stage. Depending on stage layout, you may also need to specify if the flashlight has to be held, worn, or laid on the ground. A maglight on wide beam will light targets enough to shoot without night sights. Is this fair to those using small handheld lights?

Like I stated earlier, you have to think about what you want the shootes to do and spell it out. A simple way to solve the problem is in the shooter meeting tell everyone what they can and can't do with their lights. We tell them, the light has to be held in the hand when they are shooting. if they want to lay it down to reload, that is fine. If it is not stated they have to use a flashlight, it is up to them as to how they shoot the stage.

Sniper,
Based on what I have read, I would not have given a procedural even if you dod not use a flashlight.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.