1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've run a bunch of low light matches/stages. Usually we would provide some ambient light but often not enough to be able to rely totally on night sights. Other times I force them to use a flashlight (no weapons mounted lights) either their own or a provided light. It's interesting seeing how people deal with it and let them find out what works for them and what doesn't. Most people don't get the opportunity to shoot lowlight with live ammo so IDPA club matches are a good place for them to get some experience.

If you're setting up a low light stage for a sanctioned match you have to make it so it's the same for all competitors. To the extent where they have to use a provided light (same for all).

Mark

·
Registered
769 Posts
Really want to mess with them? Run a low light blind stage. Set up the stage but only allow shooters in one at a time. Kick it up more by using color code targets, making the non-threats changeable from shooter to shooter. Even reloads. Keep in mind to make sure the cof is the same for each person. Encourage shooters not to discuss the COF after they have left the range until everyone has shot. It's time consuming but very fun.

I've seen guys actually use threats as cover in the dark.

Extra caution has to be taken when running low light stages. Some guys get really wound up because it's so unfamiliar to them.

Partime scoring is great for these.

Mark

·
Registered
769 Posts
Let me clarify my statement running a low/no light stage in a sanctioned match. Naturally you don't HAVE to make the stage the same for everyone. Though I would think the approving AC would want you to do so. I would spell it out personally to reduce the range lawyer issues that would arise otherwise.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.