1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had the opportunity to change any IDPA rule, what would you change and why?

·
Registered
441 Posts
When I first joined IDPA several years ago, I wondered how the FTDR would work. I shoot at five different IDPA clubs in northern Ohio and am an SO myself, and I have never seen it used. Nor have I seen a situation where I thought it should be used.
I think that says a lot about the shooters, SOs, and the sport in general.

------------------
Neil
"I AM my brothers keeper"

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I disagree on the removal of FTDR. It puts "practical" back into practical shooting, IMO. Everyone knows when some turd is trying to game in IPSC; the problem is you have to wait until the arbitration panel adjourns before you can prove you're right. I'd rather have "arbitrary" (in the hands of a competent SO) vs. "arbitration."

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Originally posted by JoeMc:
If you had the opportunity to change any IDPA rule, what would you change and why?

In the new rule book under CoF guidelines for sanctioned matches, it says,

Only one non-threat target may be used per every three threat targets in any string of fire.
I do not think there should be limit in how many no-shoots there can be amoung threat targets. Seen some really good stages with a few non-threats and a couple of BG's. If they are only going to have a 1:3 ratio of NT to T, then make hits on a non-threat 10 or 15 sec not 5.

I have never given one or ever seen one given with respect to FTDR penaties.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes, the FTDR rule can be subjective. Yet, it is often the only way to deal with a gaming situation that deserves more than a 3 second procedural penalty. For example, a shooter who does not slice the pie and bursts into a hallway & room exposing himself to six targets simultaneously.

·
Administrator
10,905 Posts
The FTDR rule is one of the things they got right. This business with choreographing the reloads is ridiculous. Just define the requirements, and let the shooter decide how to do it. John Farnam's tac load is a speed load. He figures if he has time, he'll pick it up. The only requirement in the rule book is not to leave loaded magazines behind, although they do go on to say it should be performed at the gun. A lot of clubs think if you don't do a Hackathorn Tactical reload that it should be penalized.
TB.,NC

·
Super Moderator
13,603 Posts
I was shooting the classifier today, the rule change didn't affect my performance.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I would probably put in a rule that prospective members must certify that they have read the rulebook in its entirety, not the Internet Cliff's Notes version, before their memberships are approved.

·
Administrator
10,905 Posts
I thought the IDPA website had the whole rule book on it. Last time I counted, there were fewer than 30 competition rules, altough there is a lot stuff on equipment, divisions, and rationale.
In any case, you'd end up with a bunch of certifications that would be meaningless, unless you had a test before you issued the membership, and a retest after every change in the rules.

------------------
TB., NC

·
Registered
548 Posts
Originally posted by Tim Burke:
I thought the IDPA website had the whole rule book on it. Last time I counted, there were fewer than 30 competition rules, altough there is a lot stuff on equipment, divisions, and rationale.
In any case, you'd end up with a bunch of certifications that would be meaningless, unless you had a test before you issued the membership, and a retest after every change in the rules.

The website does have the rulebook on it, which is why it would be possible to have people read it first. Naturally, there would be many people who certify without reading, but it would make the point that everyone should read the instructions first. And I bet many people would read it, which would be an improvement over the current situation where most people obviously never read the rulebook, but instead read the flawed Cliff Notes versions which appear on the Internet.

·
Super Moderator
13,603 Posts
I would like to see all whiners banned.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Originally posted by Ricky T:
I was shooting the classifier today, the rule change didn't affect my performance.
When you shoot, you leave enough sand behind have a beach party.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,391 Posts
Rather than banishing 10mm to ESP, they should have allowed it in both CDP and ESP. It would be nice to use my Delta in both divisions, loaded down to FBI Lite levels for ESP, and full power (well, more power . . .) for CDP. Certainly, nobody will buy a 10mm for IDPA competion now, while it might have become a fairly popular round if it's versatility was taken advantage of.
Vickers count was originally .3 seconds per point down, and I think that's more realistic than .5. If one round per target is specified, then .5 per point is fine; but when targets are hit twice, and only down a point or two, the penalty is too great.
I'm still waffling on the with-retention reloads. I don't like them in scenarios, but I think it's good to practice them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't think there is any business having a reload with retention, or tactical reload in about 99% of the scenario's out there, very few of which i have seen it used properly, and with reason.

i would get rid of the reload with retention rule..... if i were king of earth, i would make all stages seem like someone with half a brain created them in a LOGICAL way! most do good, but once in a while there is someone who has a stage and can't answer any questions about why it came into being.

------------------
Any gun will do if You will do.

·
Registered
594 Posts
FTDR - I've seen only one given in the 3 years I've been shooting IDPA and I was the one to ring the guy up. He dropped an unloaded revolver during a reload. At first I wasn't sure just how to handle the situation. After reading the rule book about 10 times and talking it over with my Asst. MD, we gave him a FTDR and allowed him to continue the match.

I asked HQ about it the following week and Tom said I handled the situation correctly.

RWR or TR - I have used it to make the auto shooters reload at the same place the revolver shooters reload. I will throw one in every once in a while for just practice, but more often than not, it's to make stages "revolver neutral".

------------------
Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

[This message has been edited by DM-SC (edited 08-29-2001).]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts