1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 1911 and use 8 rd. mags.Going back to shooting IDPA.Is there any advantage to get 10 rd. mags.?
Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
CDP maximum initial loadout is 8+1, 8 in reload magazines.
A 10 round magazine would not only not be any use, it would not be allowed because the gun would not fit The Box with it seated.

I assume Andrew does not shoot IDPA.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
CDP you can use 7 or 8 rd mags, what ever you start with is what you have to use thru the match, if you start a stage at 7+1 then all your mags must be loaded with 7rds. 8+1 use 8rd the whole stage.

9mm is ESP and you can use either 9 or 10 rd mags, same rule applies for using the same round count thru the match. I shoot both CDP using Chip McCormick 8rd mags, and ESP using Tripp 10rd mags.

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
I do, too, but the ESP ten-shooter is a 9mm.
Does Tripp make a 10x45 that will fit The Box?
I have some 9x45 magazines that I use for .45 Minor/ESP and don't see how to squeeze another round into The Box.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,214 Posts
I don't see how you could possibly fit ten rounds in a mag that fits in the box?
You'd need a tube longer than even the existing "extended tube" mags, but shorter than existing 10-rounders.
Maybe a wedge-shaped basepad would allow a little more room.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Many stages are "load to division capacity"
For CDP, that is 8+1
Yes.....and

Actually, you'll get a procedural for starting COF without the +1.

Unloaded starts are of course 7 or 8 depending on mag used, no Barney.

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
Bigger holes. A colleague and I have found that .45 Minor/ESP is worth two or three points in a club match; he gained six points one day. No problem with border shots on non-threats... yet.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Bigger holes....

Even though .45 minor has a bigger hole, it is purely subjective if a person states "I gained 6 points today....!" Since a single stack .45 with a 10 round mag won't fit the IDPA box, in order to be able to load 10+1, the gun would have to be a double stack frame.....such as an STI Eagle or a Para Ordnance hi-cap. If a person used a single stack with 8+1 for ESP, more often than not, the disadvantage of less rounds may require an unwanted additional reload. An additional reload using a cover garment, may add 2.0 seconds or more from shot to shot, which is comparable to losing -4 points down. If you incur just two extra reloads during the match.....this would be a disadvantage compared to ESP shooters using 9mm at division capacity....

I built and use an STI Eagle 9mm for the ESP div. of IDPA. Due to the tapered design of the magazines and the wider opening of the magwell, I found it is much faster when conducting reloads than any other gun I own. I have a Para Ordnance hi cap, and the design of the mags is less tapered and the reloads are not as fast and smooth as my STI Eagle. I also like the fact I start with one mag loaded with 11 rounds, so I don't have to use a "Barney Bullet!"

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
CDP maximum initial loadout is 8+1, 8 in reload magazines.
A 10 round magazine would not only not be any use, it would not be allowed because the gun would not fit The Box with it seated.

I assume Andrew does not shoot IDPA.
Haha no I do shoot IDPA, just not CDP :)

I started IDPA in June so I'm still a newb and forgot CDP is only 8+1 not 10+1. My bad.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
IDPA gun divisions and mag capacity....

Two IDPA gun divisions only allow a maximum of 8 rounds in the mag: Custom Defensive Pistol, and Compact Carry Pistol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts