1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the most common reasons why people quit shooting IDPA is due to poor stage designs. The rule book states that scenario stages should be designed "that could really happen." Also, in my opinion, the difficulty of shots required should be designed so a good Marksman class shooter can get most all of their hits without too much difficulty.

I left a local match early yesterday because I just didn't care for the stage designs. I was also asked to be a SO, so my shooting buddy and I moved to a different squad to help out.

The first stage we shot had five targets lined up from near to far.....at roughly 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 yards. It was designed and called a scenario stage....:scratch: I didn't say anything, but a scenario stage is not allowed to have shots over 25 yds.:rolleyes: Standing in one spot with no movement, the shooter had to draw and fire 1 shot on the closest target, then 2 shots on the next, 3 shots on the next, etc. until at the 30 yd. line 5 shots were required....extra shots were allowed and you had to reload without cover. My shooting buddy and I did very well on this stage. I shot the stage in 14 sec. with 3 points down. He shot it in slightly over 11 sec. with 6 points down...... he won the stage and I placed 2nd....... Most of the shooters in the Marksman and Sharpshooter class were not able to get all the required 5 shots on the 30 yd. target..... If a course designer wants to test shooting skills at longer distance targets, I like to use pepper poppers. Less experienced shooters get feedback whether or not they made a good shot..... Also, it would have made more sense to shoot 5 shots at the closest target, then 4 on the next, then 3 etc. and perhaps the final 30 yd. requiring one shot on a pepper popper. If a shooter needed more shots to down the popper they could continue to shoot until it fell.....:rolleyes: This was a scenario stage......and requiring 5 hits/shots at a stationary threat target at 30 yds. was a poor idea.....how many threats at 30 yds will stand still so a person can shoot at them 5 times.....? This is one of the stages that instead of "could really happen" was actually a stage "that would not really happen...."

Another stage required the shooter to be suspended above ground in a parachute harness to fire 18 rounds at targets from 10-20 yards out.....since the harness interfered with the mag carriers, you were allowed to move them more forward if necessary..... How many non military shooters haven ever had the opportunity or the need to shoot suspended above ground in a parachute harness...?:scratch: This is a further example of a COF "that would not really happen..."

Another drill stage required starting with 4 rounds in the gun, conducting a slide lock reload, firing two additional shots, then conducting a reload with retention after firing the two shots and moving to another target array.....
all of the gun divisions had to use the retained mag later in the COF. This stage, even though a drill, was over complicated......you had to conduct the reload with retention because the COF required it, not because it was necessary. The targets had to be shot in a certain order using barricades further complicated the process.....while excessive hard cover on the threats meant two targets were head shots, while another two targets were striped with hard cover on each side of the torso so you had a stripe of hitting area in the middle of the zero down ring up to the head......

I didn't do very well on this stage.....I was concentrating more on the reloads and when to do them than I was on the shooting, which is not good! I didn't want to shoot from the parachute harness suspended in the air, and this is not something anyone ever has the chance to practice.....

I left the match early, because of the heat, the humidity, and in my opinion, the poor stage designs. In previous years, I have submitted numerous stage designs and if the match director used them, I set them up prior to the match.....I also created many reactive targets and the club reimbursed me for the materials. If the stage designs continue to be unrealistic self defense scenarios, I will just end up leaving IDPA and shooting USPSA.

·
Registered
804 Posts
While I think the match sounds fun, I do agree it is WAY off from IDPA spirit. It sounds more like a carnival type shoot with that parachute harness stage.

Those were some pretty unrealistic stages!

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
No, one of the most common reasons why people quit shooting IDPA is due to SO's and MD rule Nazis.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think the issue is that there seem to be two basic and distinct factions of shooter within IDPA. those who derive their fun from doing things "By the book" (and therefore are highly bothered by deviations from said book), and those who get their shooting jollies from the weird, unusual, or otherwise "fun" stages whether said stage was completely within the rules or not. one group can seem to think that the other needs a kind of group FTDR, and the 2nd group can tend to think that the 1st need to get the stick out of their collective bum. this ain't a recipe for harmony.

I thought it was the rulebook itself.
(Note for those without a sense of humor. this IS sarcasm)

Well, let's face it someone who actually tries to enforce the rulebook as written = Rule Nazi

End sarcasm

Ok being serious, I've seen this with a few other hobbies with a "governing body", in time there will come a phase in that hobby/org's life that some aspect(s) of the rules or how things are being run will cause the rank and file to begin to schism (see the birth of IDPA out of disgruntled USPSA shooters of the '90s), and if the Org is large enough this pattern repeats. Based on what i've heard in person and seen in forum discussions I think IDPA might be due for next iteration of this.

Personal observation here can't comment on it beyond that and in a effort to convey my impression I'm massively oversimplifying, but.
More and more folks I talk/listen to that shoot IDPA seem to want to shoot IDPA style gear and scoring on stages closer to USPSA format. they want to take their simpler gear, shoot a fun stage, and be scored in a manner that is straight forward and gives instant feedback, not requiring a HF calculation.

Kind of like if one were to have a match where there was no requirement for a concealment garment nor "cover", take race holsters off the table (and in the process out drops Open and a huge swathe of limited shooters) set the stages for no more than 25rds total required so you don't need more than the two-three (capacity dependent) reloads , and use IDPA scoring.
Oh wait, That match already exists near me, in the form of "the Fun Match" at The Range in Oxford NC, and I shot it last sunday (the 16th). and it is named appropriately it WAS fun.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
No, one of the most common reasons why people quit shooting IDPA is due to SO's and MD rule Nazis.
This x 10,000.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts