1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone shoot at a club that gives out any trophies? Do you have to shoot at major matches before this becomes a trophy only sport?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I shoot with two IDPA clubs. One runs "League" format. They hand out plaques at the end of the league time ( I think its either twice or three times a year). At the other club no trophies or plaques are given out. We just want to shoot! We look at the match results and know where we all stand, and who to razz from month to month.

------------------
"An armed society is a polite society"

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
I shoot frequently at three clubs, occasionally at a couple more. None give trophies at monthly matches. One, which rents time on a commercial range and has to charge higher entry fees, draws for a free entry to the next month's match.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I shoot at a couple diferrent IDPA matches each month, one doesn't. The other gives plaques and or pins for first 3 places in each division/classification at each match. Sacramento Defensive Pistol Shooters at Sac Valley Shooting Center. First Sunday of the month....avg. 60+ shooters.....come check it out........

laters

gr

[This message has been edited by kahana (edited 08-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by kahana (edited 08-22-2001).]

·
Registered
205 Posts
The club I shoot with monthly jsuts post results on the club website. We have a drawing for a firearm related prize (about $25 value) and $5 from every competitor goes to the year end prize fund. Every match you shoot in yields you a ticket for the Year end drawing for a handgun of your choice ($700 value). I would sure like to win it. That would be a nice down payment on another 1911!!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,216 Posts
We don't even post results, until the next day. One thing that we are doing, in an effort to keep new shooters interested/encouraged, is to post who had the most points on target, and who were the top Class, as well as Division winners. That way, we're not seeing only the names of the best overall shooters in the results.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Originally posted by RickB:
We don't even post results, until the next day. One thing that we are doing, in an effort to keep new shooters interested/encouraged, is to post who had the most points on target, and who were the top Class, as well as Division winners. That way, we're not seeing only the names of the best overall shooters in the results.
From the IDPA rulebook (5/2/01 edition)
"Prizes & Awards:
....Trophy or plaque awards shall be presented to the top shooters in each division and class [emphasis mine] at Club matches, State Championships, National Championships and International Championships. Because each division ‘stands alone’, no high overall trophies shall be awarded."

I have seen a number of IDPA clubs who do not make awards correctly. There is NO overall match winner. EACH Division AND Class should always have its own rankings.

For example:

SSP has 10 MM, 2 SS, 3 EX, 1 MA.

Assuming awards are given 3 deep, the results would run as follows:

1st MA

1st EX
2nd EX
3rd EX

1st SS
2nd SS

1st MM
2nd MM
3rd MM

If a Division Champion is awarded, as required for sanctioned events, but not mandatory at club events as I interpret the rulebook, and the 1st EX was the top SSP shooter, then the results would be as follows:

SSP Champion

1st MA

1st EX
2nd EX

1st SS
2nd SS

1st MM
2nd MM
3rd MM

FWIW

Claude

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a Match director of an IDPA club and we post our results on the internet within 1-3 days then mail the results sometime later. I do it per the rules, with no overall winners. I breakdown the divisions and classes with the ranks within the classes. (though last month's web results got screwey, I try to do it this way)

FWIW, I do not give out trophies, plaques, or awards. I only charge $10.00/shooter and the cheapest quality plaques available in my area cost around $10 bucks each. Worst case, I would be spending $160.00 on trophies if I had enough winners in all divisions/classes, though a more accurate figure would be around $90.00. That's a heap of money and to finance this without reducing our contribution to the host club or discontinuing the purchase of new props and equipment, I would have to add five bucks to the match fee. Personally, I do not want to increase the match fee 50% to subsidize trophies.

To that end I print certificates and have a club seal I affix to it for class winners. I only started doing it last month so I haven't got a feel for how folks like it yet. We'll see.

Ted Murphy
Match Director EFGA http://www.eastontacticalops.com

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,216 Posts
So Headhunter, are we doing it correctly, or not?

·
Registered
645 Posts
It is customary in Michigan to award ribbons for division winners and also second and third place. This must be fairly inexpensive to do. The ribbons fit in a regular envelope with the mailed match results.

I like this, it demonstrates to the wife that I was not just out drinking with my buddies at Hooters last Saturfday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts