1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Economy ($+/-100) Ontario, Ka-Bar, CRKT fixed, some Cold Steel Special Projects offerings.
Mid-range ($150-$300) Busse Combat/Swamp Rat, TOPS-my favorite, `Ken Brock.

"Custom" ($250-UP) can be productions, too. Randall, CS, AlMar, then any custom maker whose stuff tickles your fancy.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Dan Farr custom knives

If you are looking for fully custom type, FARR KNIVES is a winner as well. I know there is a long waiting list for obtaining them, but from what I can gather it is worth it. Check them out at farrknives.com .

·
Banned
976 Posts
See my answer in "fixed blade fix" thread below.

Some of the good economy ones are Ontario, Ranger knives, better would be Swamp Rat with their 52100 steel and anything goes gaurentee.

Best is any maker you like. Get Busse, they are famous for hard use knives that take a real beating.

cliff

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
IT depends what your term "survival" knife means, that means different things to different folks. For me i want a knife that i can prepare food with, chop wood with, quarter/dress game with.... and yes defend myself with.

Ive used most of the knives listed above, and for me most are very inadeqate. The problem with most isnt the basic design its the lack of proper heat treat and wrong edge geometry (usually way to thick). Having a thick, obtuse edge makes cutting (the primary goal with any knife) more difficult than it should be.

Once you get a good blade with proper edge geometry, good heat treat, and good blade/handle design, it will seem to cut/perform like magic. Its kinda like shooting a box stock Springfield Mil Spec versus one that you have had built by Heinie, Yost, Garthwaite etc....

This is my current "go to" knife-

here is another of my favorite designs, this one made by Maggie Fikes-

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
not a knife

If this is to be a survival tool, I would rather have a small quality hatchet and a nice 5" or 6" blade sheath knife. Weight would be the same, perhaps even less than a huge steel blade. Think about what it is realistically going to be used for in a survival situation.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.