1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Well, for collector value, I'd be a fool not to mention an 'A1 Singer and a 1911 North American Arms. But, let's say for my own use without worrying about some kind of value, then it would be a Colt 1911 of WWI vintage. Mostly because I like the time period to be honest.

------------------
"They all fall to hardball!"

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, What about a 1911 built 1911. Like the ones made on December 29th 1911. If I recall they built 40 or so on that date....I bet if you found one of those in 95% you would be surprised what it would draw in a well publicised auction or as a runner up, and from a historic perspective it would have to be the gun that Sgt York used in his famous WWI efforts.

Makes you wonder!

------------------
Cheers,
Ty www.CoolGunSite.com

[This message has been edited by Ty (edited 05-19-2001).]

·
Administrator
74,421 Posts
There are enough rare variations of the USGI .45 auto floating around, and I'll second the choice of the Singer based not only on the value but also the mystique. But aside from that, if I could add ANY other 1911/1911A1 o my stable it would have to be one of the pre-war blued M1911A1s. Those guns were fitted and finished to where they were absolutely GORGEOUS! Either a 1924 Transitional or maybe a 1937/1938/1940 contract piece would fit nicely in my safe.

Failing that, I continue to look at my 1928-vintage Argentine contract Colt and pretend it's a Transitional.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
The guns you refer to TY are prototypes. And worth about $200,000 on the collector market. Sure I can look at my 16 Commercial or 18 UMC and pretend they are protos. But Colt has them or collections have them under lock and key. Worth more then any A1, Singer included.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Red, they are not. Clawson owns one and Yorks was field issue. The prototypes where of the first 200 before they actually had the M1911 designation of which yes one is for sale and asking price is 7500.00 right now.

And you might want to re-read the question it had nothing to do with pick up-part what someone else likes or wouldnt mind having, it asks what would you like....you know a fun kind of thing....

[This message has been edited by Ty (edited 05-19-2001).]

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Ok I would like a Nissan Frontier SE-V6 4X4 fully loaded. I have more than enough guns already. I have gotten to the point of insanity with the I know more than you posts. And the your wrong and i'm right posts. I think we all like them and most have them. So the rest is just hearsay or I like mine just fine. I don't feel a need to prove my worth by having the most or best 1911/A1s. I just hope someday I can stop wanting them all. And I know the 1911s were'nt delivered to the military until March 1912. It must be Commercials your refering too.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Ok sorry for the meaningless post and the poke on the prior one. I know many of you on this site know much more than I. Yet I know plenty, so what I really look for am looking for is. 1)1933-1941 National Match 2)There is'nt a two exept maybe a 1900 38ACP. Yes thats definately true. Yet it is frustrating not getting what you expect of a genuine vintage Colt. So much history is untraceable or lost. And so many phonies trying to get our dollars. We are all hungry for a time machine to meet JMB. And pick up a 1911 to bring home with us to current day. Which is what the mystique is. Wanting to get closer to the original day and feel. Of JMB designing, testing and, discussing the firearms of now. And what they can be, noone else has influenced firearms to that degree since. And only Colt and Gatling before. So I appologize for my brash retort to you guys. Maybe in another life we can all shake on it and send some 230gr. down range. At significant accuracy.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Redzone, you beat me to the timemachine comment. I too would like to go back and get a couple of the originals, not as much for collector value, as they were just SO BEAUTIFULLY made back then! Oh well, we'll just have to live with what we've got now I guess. I wouldn't have minded just livin' back then anyway. I've seen too many Indiana Jones and The Mummy type movies. I'd have my trusty 1911 .45 on my hip at all times on my "adventures". And a New Service also, don't get me started on those.

------------------
"They all fall to hardball!"

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Red,
You are right that the first delivered to the US Military where in 1912, but they where made on December 28th and 29th of 1911, Total was about 90 guns or so and that was the 1911 date I was referring to.

No one is saying wrong vs. right, if you look at every post I ever put up you will never see me use the word wrong, I feel very lucky that I have come across some very good informational sources and truly enjoy my hobby (shooting and collecting firearms) as most do in this forum. I try and share what I have found because a lot of people had sent me mail or called seeking the information, so over the last months I decided to get more involved with the on-line community and help share what I have learned at no expense or gain and with the hopes of A) meeting cool people whom enjoy this hobby as much as I do (my wife is just not there) and B) save some people from learnig some of the unwanted lessons I have learned.
Cheers
Ty

[This message has been edited by Ty (edited 05-20-2001).]

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I know what you mean TY. It is hard to actually find or meet anyone with my firearm desire or knowledge. The norm is rifle carrying hunters. Or Glock pistol shooters, or sometimes Kimber. It is a crazy world to come to the internat and be exposed. To so many with the same interest and knowledge. Yet step into the world and where is the people I communicate with? I would like to meet anyone here.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,395 Posts
I want them all, too. One that I covet, because I know who has it, is a 1913 production MODEL OF M1911 U.S. NAVY. The gun is in maybe 75% condition, but is very "honest" in its appearance. It was in someone's garage for the last forty years, so I know it hasn't been "restored" or otherwise fooled with. I could have bought it for $1200 a couple of years ago, and while that seemed like a lot then, it might seem like a steal now.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Ok just e-mail [email protected] And I will give you my number and address. I look forward to it. And will begin to stockpile .45ACP ammo for November. Ok maybe not, its such a nice day today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts