1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right now all I have is a Marlin 30-30 open sights and will stay that way. Wife got it for me as a gift and will be used for Hog with a 357/44mag as a side arm.
Never hunted any large game like deer but do understand the 30-30 is small for it.
With the recent down fall of the economy thinking of getting something else. Since alot of used stuff out there now!
My father in law had a Ruger #1 in 25-06 and a second one of a larger caliber.
A good friend has a 6mm Rem.

So was wanting some opinions.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Are you hunting rabbits or elephants, the gun you use depends on what you plan on hunting

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Way too little information here to make a final decision on my part, 340six. But I would say:

1) Find an accurate rifle...
2) Buy that rifle in a decent caliber when considering the game you will be hunting (small whitetail, large whitetail, elk, boar, bear, etc.); IMO, always lean toward the larger caliber to compensate for 'less-than-perfect' shot placement)...
3) Buy a caliber that is stocked in most sporting goods stores (.270 Win, 30-06, .308 Win, etc.)...
4) Consider style of hunt (stalk, stand hunting, etc.) and buy a rifle not too heavy for such a style...
5) Buy the action you are comfortable with (lever, bolt, pump, semi-auto)...
6) Practice until the rifle becomes a close friend, and one you can rely on regardless of weather and terrain...

Whatever you decide, talk to others, but decide for yourself in the end...Good Luck

·
Registered
998 Posts
deer baggin

My friend has a Gorgeous Weatherby 270 mag. He missed 3 times at various ranges and wounded/grazed once. That buck got away and we saw it again two days later with a doe.

I have a pawn-shop special 1954 30-06 mauser copy from Golden State Arms. It was 125$ ,I put a 10$ weaver scope on it (same pawn shop). It puts 3 shots in the same hole at 100 yds with the cheapest 180 gr federal you can get. Just got my first buck with it , a 3x3 kinda small.

Funny thing is ,my buddys four rds cost MORE than my scope:biglaugh:

jon

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
A Marlin 30-30 with open sights. :) Lots of trees and brush in my area. Great short range deer hunter. :)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I consider the minimum battery to be four firearms.

1) a .22 rimfire of some persuasion. I prefer bolt guns, but there are some very accurate autoloaders to be had.

2) a shotgun in either 20 or 12 guage. Again, my preference is pump, but other actions are just as viable, maybe moreso given your circumstances.

3) a handgun in some respectable caliber for occassions when you must carry a gun and long arms are not possible. From backpacking to CCW.

4) a centerfire .30 caliber. My top two are .308 (person favorite) and .30/06. Loads are available for both, or you can roll your own, to make them adequate medicine for everything in North America that the .22 and shotgun aren't capable of. Again, I prefer bolt guns.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Right now all I have is a Marlin 30-30 open sights and will stay that way.
With the recent down fall of the economy thinking of getting something else.
My father in law had a Ruger #1 in 25-06 and a second one of a larger caliber.
A good friend has a 6mm Rem.

So was wanting some opinions.

If you are on a budget, the Remington 700 SPS or the Tikka T3 are real accurate right out of the box. Also, Savage makes a real good rifle for a great price.

On the upper range, I love Kimber. Remington and Savage are great as well.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Hey 340

340six and his family are rebuilding after Katrina took everything. He's on the Reloading subforum regularly.

In Louisiana you are more likely to hunt deer than prairie dogs, more likely to shoot small-medium game than Cape Buffalo and elephants, more likely to shoot tin cans 100 yards than Rocky Mountain Goat at 500 yards.

All the major manufacturers make good rifles. Remington 700, Win 70, Ruger 77 and #1, Savage 110, Weatherby Vanguard and Mark V, Mossberg ATR, HOWA and Tikka and others. Give us a price range and we'll help narrow it down.

Caliber: Anything from 243 to 30. You choose. Since you reload, they are all as cheap as the others. But you get better bullet choices with the common calibers: 243/6mm, 7mm, .270, 30cal. Go look up the bullet manufacturers and see for yourself.

Also, nothing wrong with a scope on that Marlin. Make a whole new rifle out of it. 30-30 reloads easily, especially with new choices of Hornady bullets. Mine shoots perfectly well out to 150 yards with a 3x9 power. Loaded with 125 grain, it shoots reasonably well to 200 yards. Good deals are available on scopes right now.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you hunting rabbits or elephants, the gun you use depends on what you plan on hunting
I went in and changed the post sorry i forgot to put what gun would be used for.
Rabbits would be the Winchester 12 Ga. Auto was not my first choise, But I picked up brand new with 3 chokes for 120.00 due to slight crack in the forarm. Was so slight I realy needed to look to find it. Was a return from customer due to the crack and never shot, so was given what I consider a deal.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Maybe I should have posted this instead:

I'd buy a Savage bolt gun in either .308 or .30/06. They can be loaded up to whack anything in North America or loaded down to predator killing levels. They are accurate, inexpensive and take to glass easily as they are pre-drilled. The package guns come with a cheap 3-9 power scope installed. If you don't really want or need the accu-trigger, look at the Stevens line. Same guns, but with plastic stock, regular trigger and less expensive.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I have a 7mm Rem Mag and love it. It can be used for any game in North America except the Great Bears.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Armalite AR10 in 308, will work great with any 4 legged creature ya want to take down for food & if ya get ovre ran by human zombies it will work superb on them as well.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
The .308 is a great hunting round (most North American game)… wide bullet selection, great performance and pretty well available anywhere.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The .308 is a great hunting round (most North American game)… wide bullet selection, great performance and pretty well available anywhere.
Lady at work has taken Elk and Moose with her bolt action 308, this year she's already filled her Elk & Antelope tag's....and a couple years ago got a brown bear with the 308...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts