1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Colt has taken a beating the last few years. Perhaps jusifieably so. There a lot of nice and trendy 1911's out there like Dan Wesson. I just recently bought a Dan Wesson. The Dan Wesson is about perfect. But I want another Colt.

Registered
Well CZ owns Colt now so it may be like purchasing another Dan Wesson.馃榿

Registered
Yep. Colt for me.

New Colts purchased in 2014, 2016, and 2020 have satisfied and continue to do so.

Have Colt made 1911 guns with production dates sprinkled all back through the 20th century to 1916 and love 'em all.

I think it's fashionable in some circles to bash Colt with quite a bit of it being repeated without first hand knowledge. Some appear to simply relish criticising the original.

Only one opinion on the topic.

Registered
I own two Colt 1911s and I'd like to add more. Looking at the Colt Classic for my next one, whenever that becomes possible.

Registered
I probably will eventually. I had 2 and sold one. Though I bought the one I kept new, it needed work to function properly. I wasn鈥檛 impressed, but still, it鈥檚 a Colt.

Registered
Back in the 80's when I bought my first 1911 I bought a Colt Combat Commander because they were supposedly the state of the art 1911 maker. I bought a Government Model a decade later. In the 1990's I bought a Colt Delta Elite 10mm and it was defective right out of the brand new box. The thumb safety wouldn't engage and I pushed so hard trying to make it move that the plunger tube broke off the side of the receiver.

Now, I only have DW 1911's and a NHC 1911, all in the superior 10mm caliber. Last year I bought my first Colt pistol in over 8 years and it is a 1995 Colt Python. Earlier this year I bought my 2nd Colt pistol and it's a 2021 Colt Python. I might even buy another Colt pistol when the prices come down and they become more available, on the new Colt Anaconda. But, I have zero interest in buying another Colt 1911. DW and NHC make superior 1911 pistols compared to Colt. So, no more 1911's from Colt for me. I'm not impressed with their low quality. Who knows? Maybe CZ will increase the quality of the Colt 1911's that I may eventually want to buy one. But, unless that happens I have no interest in buying another one.

Administrator
I already have pretty much every current-production Colt 1911 that I'm interested in. Unless they come out with a new model that I want I'm probably done buying any new ones for awhile. Over the years I've owned several dozen Colts, and while most were sold only a couple were due to being lemons. I had one stainless 90's Commander with an overcut feedramp and an identical one in blue with a soft slide. Other than those two I never bought a Colt with a serious mechanical issue that I couldn't fix on my own. I only had to deal with the usual suspects like loose sights and plunger tubes, poorly fitted extractors and slide stops, and of course the ever-present cosmetic anomalies.

Registered
Colt 1911s work for me and mine. That is the gun that my wife, son, and daughter, all of whom had fired other guns, kind of said 鈥漁h!鈥, and that was in a good way. I have one non-Colt 1911. It is accurate, reliable, and very good looking. But I like Colts and they have never given me a reason to feel otherwise.

Registered
I'd have to see one first. I haven't handled one in a long time. I think the last one I handled was a stainless Series 70 repro back around 2009 or 2010, and I still kick myself for not buying it. It was perfect in every way that I was capable of detecting. I hope CZ will lend me a second shot at that.

But in my experience, their slide stops and solid barrel bushings were always second-to-none. They tried MIM extractors for about 10 seconds before realizing that was a bad idea.

Premium Member
Not until their workmanship improves. Recent barrel fitting is horrendous.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bill Hook

Registered
Yep. Colt for me ... I think it's fashionable in some circles to bash Colt with quite a bit of it being repeated without first hand knowledge. Some appear to simply relish criticising the original...
And Colt for me, too...

Like C.S. Lewis said (wrote): 鈥淚t鈥檚 a funny thing in that how the less one reads the Bible, the more inclined they are to interpret it.鈥

Ignorance is bliss & the morons abound...

1 - 20 of 88 Posts