1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I own two Colt 1911s and I'd like to add more. Looking at the Colt Classic for my next one, whenever that becomes possible.
Yes I bought a colt classic 01911css in .45 colt in 2020 and it is amazing! I saw them for sale at palmetto state armory online for $899 a month ago and i foolishly did not buy one. Have you ever had one of those "I can kick myself" moment?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Colt has taken a beating the last few years. Perhaps jusifieably so. There a lot of nice and trendy 1911's out there like Dan Wesson. I just recently bought a Dan Wesson. The Dan Wesson is about perfect. But I want another Colt.
Relatively new shooter and to the 1911 platform. My 1st 1911 was a Sig Match Elite in 9mm. Love it but felt a 1911 shooter needed a Colt in 45ACP so I but the bullet (pun intended) and bought a Colt Classic TALO version. I couldn't be happier. Looks great IMO and runs flawlessly and is more accurate than me. Ok, I'm new at this so take my input as a newbie. Since then I bought a NHC 45 and Guncrafter 9. Each one has its own personality but I always take the Colt plus one other to the range. I'll get another.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Colt has some damn good offerings out there right now.

At some point my next 1911 ‘Project’ is going to be a 9x19 and 9x23 1911 and I am going to use a Colt as the foundation.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would take a Colt 1911 any time, I have owned dozens of them new and used, customized and stock and have never had a problem with any of them. I have owned 6 or so 1911's produced during WWII by various builders and 1 built during WWI by Colt and they have always worked fine with Hardball which is what they were built to use. I seriously wish I had my Colt custom shop USMC model back but alas my finances said otherwise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The very first pistol I shot as a child, 65 years ago was my Dad's 1917 Colt. He had acquired it in the Philippines during WWII. I was hooked...all except for those half moon clips. I still adore that pistol and shot it whenever our IDPA group added a "Barney Fife" side match. I bought my Gold Cup right before going on active duty in 1972 and broke it in at Ft Gordon and later at Ft Huachuca. Free ammo never hurt.

Would I buy a modern Colt? Maybe a Python.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes! If I could find a colt,1911 I'd buy it! Got 3 colt ar 15s only got one colt 1911 at the time but have had many,all worth the$$$$ why pay more for a high speed pistol and the colt is as good or better than rich boy guns!!!!]

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've got two 1911's but neither is a Colt, even though I used them while in the service. One is a Sig 1911 Emperor Scorpion Carry and a Springfield Range Officer Champion both in .45

·
Registered
4 Posts
Back in the 80's when I bought my first 1911 I bought a Colt Combat Commander because they were supposedly the state of the art 1911 maker. I bought a Government Model a decade later. In the 1990's I bought a Colt Delta Elite 10mm and it was defective right out of the brand new box. The thumb safety wouldn't engage and I pushed so hard trying to make it move that the plunger tube broke off the side of the receiver.

Now, I only have DW 1911's and a NHC 1911, all in the superior 10mm caliber. Last year I bought my first Colt pistol in over 8 years and it is a 1995 Colt Python. Earlier this year I bought my 2nd Colt pistol and it's a 2021 Colt Python. I might even buy another Colt pistol when the prices come down and they become more available, on the new Colt Anaconda. But, I have zero interest in buying another Colt 1911. DW and NHC make superior 1911 pistols compared to Colt. So, no more 1911's from Colt for me. I'm not impressed with their low quality. Who knows? Maybe CZ will increase the quality of the Colt 1911's that I may eventually want to buy one. But, unless that happens I have no interest in buying another one.
Exactly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was a young MP carry old guns that rattled, so when I got the money I bought a satin nickel commander, I was so proud. Sorriest gun I ever owned polished it changed springs, magazines and everything that moved on the gun. Never was reliable with HP and often not with ball. Sold it an bought a Norinco and an Officers Model, those two guns never, ever failed and both were track drivers. I finally learned to build them and now surely could have fixed it. My most accurate gun that I own is a Colt Gold Cup slide with 38 super barrel built on a RIA lower. As good as any $5K 1911 you will find, and it is a hybrid. LOL

Yes I would buy another Colt but it would not be my first choice. For any gun under $2,000 I would buy a stainless Ruger. The built in plunger tube is worth the money... If you keep grips over the tube you may never have one come off, but if you shoot with custom short grips that is a weak point.

The problem with 1911s is they are mass produced like ARs. You can buy an RIA and have a gun that is as good as a $2,500 name brand gun, they are just that easy to make with the machines today. I saw a Tisas is a store this week, price was $499. I have no clue how it would shoot or hold up, but the machining was excellent. My opinion is the name on the gun means not very much any more, I like Colts just because they are Colts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Depends on if their quality control improved, and if Colt makes the issues I have with the last 2 I bought right. Currently own 4 Colt 1911s, 5 if you count my wife's Defender. The first 3: .45 Government model, Defender in 9mm and the Officers ACP in .45 were perfect right out of the box. Just bought 2 more Defenders back to back, and both are great... except for the thumb safety. The stainless model I bought had a safety over travel issue and has been at Colt for over a month hopefully getting fixed. The black matte version I bought last doesn't have an over-travel issue, but the safety is difficult to engage. Like you can't engage it with one thumb, it almost has to be forced. It'll be going back to Colt as well, as soon as I get the first one back.

I'm hoping CZ improves the quality control, as the last 2 I bought were disappointing and should have never left the factory like that. I'd still like to add a rail gun and an old GI M1911A1 to my collection at some point. If the quality does not improve, then there are other options out there for a rail gun.

I think when Colt really wants to make a quality product, there are few better options in the same price range. But it seems like they've been slipping lately.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've been picking up a few NOS Colt 1911s while they're still available as made in Connecticut and before they bear a CZ logo. If CZ doesn't change anything that'll be great, but I'm hedging my bets in case they screw it up.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
At 53 years of age I'am not sure what you mean by " There a lot of nice and trendy 1911's out there " What does that imply ? The 1911 has always been made and modified over the years .
By many manufactures and smiths . Nothing is really trendy about the 1911 .

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I have 4 1911s and wanted to add a Colt to my collection. I decided on a Gold Cup National Match in .45. I was expecting much better. Finish is fine, but slide to frame and barrel to slide/frame/bushing fit were not as I expected them to be. Inside frame along trigger track and around mag catch was full of burrs. Pistol was shipped missing the bushing wrench (which really isn't necessary because the bushing is so loose) and extra recoil spring. Colt CS came thrrough after several calls and shipped the missing parts. I am really disappointed with the attention to detail considering the price I paid. I hope CZ QC is a big improvement. I wouldn't buy another new Colt unless I got to look it over thoroughly first.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have 4 1911s and wanted to add a Colt to my collection. I decided on a Gold Cup National Match in .45. I was expecting much better. Finish is fine, but slide to frame and barrel to slide/frame/bushing fit were not as I expected them to be. Inside frame along trigger track and around mag catch was full of burrs. Pistol was shipped missing the bushing wrench (which really isn't necessary because the bushing is so loose) and extra recoil spring. Colt CS came thrrough after several calls and shipped the missing parts. I am really disappointed with the attention to detail considering the price I paid. I hope CZ QC is a big improvement. I wouldn't buy another new Colt unless I got to look it over thoroughly first.
How does it shoot?. A loose slide is more of a psychological issue than a curse "IF" the bushing and barrel lockup is tight. The bullet only comes out at one spot and that is right under the front sight at the instant the gun is fired. Just saying, sometimes the burrs and maybe a little wobble at the rear of the slide does not affect the performance. No reason for burrs but a polishing wheel on a dremel will make them shine in 4 minutes. We expect them to ship perfect but I am learning that does not always happen.

·
Registered
Colt Ser 70, Colt M1911A1, Remington Rand M1911A1, Browning 1911-22, Springfield 1911 RO Compact
161 Posts
I like my Series 70 and my Colt wartime M1911A1 (summer 1944 mfr date) No feed or extract / eject problems and they are accurate enough for me. The M1911A1 is 100% original and never went through an arsenal or depot rebuild. The Series 70 is just as I bought it new about 10 years ago.

I'd get another, maybe not a new one, but sure. In fact I'm on the list for a CMP M1911 sometime later this year. That will make 3 M1911A1s (my other is a RR made in Jan 1945), I wouldn't mind another Colt but a US&S or another contractor one would be just as good.

I put some Esmeralda grips on my M1911A1s but left the gold circle grips on the series 70.
Pistols-01.jpg
Pistols-03.jpg

Reactions: KentAllard
41 - 60 of 88 Posts