1911Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have one 1990 made Colt 1911, and five Custom Shop 1911s made from 2016-2018. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another as I think Colt makes a good product.

That being said, when the Colt you are looking at starts to creep above the $1,500 mark, i think that there are a couple other manufacturers that may give you a better return on your dollar (as a shooter, not collector). My DW is much better fit than any of my CCS pistols except for one.

If you are thinking future resale, then Colt is my top pick, but I'd hurry because I don't know how the collector market is going to view the CZ acquisition. You never know though, they may love it and 10 years from now a 2021 made 1911 will be worth more than a 2011 made one.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have one Colt, a 2019 Series 70. It had to go back to the pony hatchery to have the slide replaced due to backwards serrations.

That said..

I want a whole raft of Colt, both old and new. Make the Pocketlite and I'll buy one. The examples I see around here look like they were dragged along the sidewalk. I know carry guns can look gnarly but these two lookedl ike they'd been dropped on the sidewalk.

Make me a proper A1-style AR-15 -- like they did a few years back -- and I"ll buy it. No, Brownell's is not 100% "correct", but the Colt I saw some years ago was. It was also 2.5 kilobucks.. C'mon, Colt.. do better.

Mainly I really would like a stainless 2010's Series 70 to keep my blue one company.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have several Colt 1911s, an Anaconda, SAA revolvers, and Pythons that date from 1915 to 2017.

·
Registered
All my guns were lost in a boating accident.
72 Posts
Wrong post. Sorry.

·
Registered
All my guns were lost in a boating accident.
72 Posts
The new Colts are a box of razor blades with sharp edges EVERYWHERE. That was not an issue with the older ones. I think Colt's new CNC machines are cutting those sharp, clean edges and they are not being polished off before finishing. But that is just what I think. All I know is that I got a new Gold Cup in 2018 and had to send it to Cajun Gunworks for a smoothing and refinish before it was usable. But it is a very accurate pistol and came with an absolutely GREAT trigger. Other than the sharp edges, Colt is making the best guns they have ever made in my opinion. I hope the new owners will continue them and maybe address the sharp edge thing.

Reactions: KentAllard

·
Registered
37 Posts
The new Colts are a box of razor blades with sharp edges EVERYWHERE. That was not an issue with the older ones. I think Colt's new CNC machines are cutting those sharp, clean edges and they are not being polished off before finishing. But that is just what I think. All I know is that I got a new Gold Cup in 2018 and had to send it to Cajun Gunworks for a smoothing and refinish before it was usable. But it is a very accurate pistol and came with an absolutely GREAT trigger. Other than the sharp edges, Colt is making the best guns they have ever made in my opinion. I hope the new owners will continue them and maybe address the sharp edge thing.
FWIW, both my early 80s Series 70 Gold Cup and early 90s Series 80 Government Model have some sharp edges. The other day I was doing some dry-fire manipulation drills with my Govt Model and realized I'd sliced my left index finger open. Still not sure how or what part of the gun did that. Dehorning or melting is a common modification on 1911s, and obviously one I should've done with mine.

Reactions: Shooter75

·
Registered
824 Posts
Re: Sharp edges on 1911's. -- even old ones had really sharp slides at the muzzle end, and at the back where the rails go into the frame.

A few years of holstering / unholstering takes care of that, and puts on those "fine-line" holster-wear lines. They look so good that way :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 3 Springfield 1911's .. My Trophy Match in 45 ACP is awesome. My only Colt is my 5.56 LE 6920. It is a great little rifle as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have one Colt, a 2019 Series 70. It had to go back to the pony hatchery to have the slide replaced due to backwards serrations.

That said..

I want a whole raft of Colt, both old and new. Make the Pocketlite and I'll buy one. The examples I see around here look like they were dragged along the sidewalk. I know carry guns can look gnarly but these two lookedl ike they'd been dropped on the sidewalk.

Make me a proper A1-style AR-15 -- like they did a few years back -- and I"ll buy it. No, Brownell's is not 100% "correct", but the Colt I saw some years ago was. It was also 2.5 kilobucks.. C'mon, Colt.. do better.

Mainly I really would like a stainless 2010's Series 70 to keep my blue one company.
I bought my Pocketlite before their availability all but disappeared. Mine's pristine and is my go-to pocket pistol. I run Buffalo Bore's 95gr +P JHPs in it and it eats them as well as everything else flawlessly.
pocetlite screws.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just picked up two boxes of 50 rds of .45 for 25.00 ea and a box of .308 150 gr for 20.00 any a local shop I go to.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Currently have some Series 70 (Repo), XSE and SAA's. Have sold (with much regret - but had to sell because of lost job)10mm Delta Elite, 2 Double Eagles, 3 XSE's, Series 70, 2 SAA Gen 3's, 2 Python's and various Colt ARs.

Would purchase COLT again in a heart beat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes I would, I also own Dan Wesson Valor and love cz rimfire rifles

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just purchased new Colt Competition Series 45ACP….stainless….beautiful! Can’t wait to go to the range…no ammo available for purchase…fortunately I reload and have a decent supply. Salesman at Academy Sports said he hadn’t seen a Colt 1911 in the store in 6 years…interesting…

·
Registered
122 Posts
My late 2016 built SCG has been amazing thru 1200 rounds. My AR15A4 has been equally impressive, I just haven't had enough time to use it much though while I've been in the Air Force. I'll pick up a 6920 sometime this year or next to go with it. As far as future Colt 1911's goes, I'm disappointed I can't find anything decent locally or at the online dealers I regularly use. I got a new RIA GI to keep me entertained for now though.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I probably will eventually. I had 2 and sold one. Though I bought the one I kept new, it needed work to function properly. I wasn’t impressed, but still, it’s a Colt.
Some shooters are better served with a Glock, a Beretta or a revolver. 1911 Platform is not for everyone.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts