1911Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
All my guns were lost in a boating accident.
72 Posts
You are correct Che. The 1911 It is not well suited for anyone with smallish hands for sure. But for those whose hands are large enough to hold it CORRECTLY, and just because you can hold it does not mean that you can hold it correctly, it is a time and combat proven platform. I tend to stick to what I know and although some models of the newer plastic framed pistols have a good reputation for reliability, those I have tried feel like a 2 X 4 in my hands and they don't give me much of a warm / fuzzy feeling. But they are accurate, don't require as much maintenance, and hold a lot of ammo. While those are good enough reasons for some to use them, I'll just stick to to the old 1911 which is what I know and can shoot fairly well. To each his own. I think that now pistol shooters are in a golden age when the choices are so many that it makes it difficult to choose something that will suit your needs. It was not that way when I got started shooting pistols back in 1958. Lotta water gone under the bridge since then when war surplus 1911's were the only game in town.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I have small-ish hand and 1911 straight trigger pull is the most comfortable pistol for me to shoot great. I have my share of Colt's 1911 already. There is nothing in the current Colt 1911 line-up that really excites me. However, I have my sights set on the revolvers (Colt and S&W). Going to get a few more revolvers and see if Colt will have other new offerings to the 1911 down the road (or never?).

·
Administrator
74,006 Posts
You are correct Che. The 1911 It is not well suited for anyone with smallish hands for sure.
That's a new one to me. The single-stack 1911 is one of the few full-sized service pistols that can be made to work with people who lost the distal joint of their trigger finger. It's also a favorite of female competitive shooters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CZ can only help, but I will say I've never had a Colt that didn't have some kind of cosmetic issue that never should've passed QC. Some were only minor touch-ups, others needed significant machining. It was this way in '98 when I bought my first and continued right through a couple years ago. I just bought a couple more recently, both used, that are from before 2016 and got significantly burned, IMO, on a flaw with one I couldn't see clearly in the pics that sticks out like a sore thumb in person. The other will just need some minor work, but I'm sure that the issue wasn't use-related.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There will always be a nostalgic place for Colts in my safe. I still have a Mustang and a Competition in 9mm. Both required work to make them reliable. Earlier this year I sold a very nice looking blued, Series 80 GCNM. It bit me every time I used it, had a fixed front sight that I hated and didn’t shoot all that well for me. I couldn’t justify keeping it just because it was a Colt. ALL of my other 1911s are better but I still occasionally miss it.

Would I add another Colt? Only at a decent price. I recently picked up a very well priced Les Baer for current Colt money. Frankly, there is no comparison between the two.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have small-ish hand and 1911 straight trigger pull is the most comfortable pistol for me to shoot great. I have my share of Colt's 1911 already. There is nothing in the current Colt 1911 line-up that really excites me. However, I have my sights set on the revolvers (Colt and S&W). Going to get a few more revolvers and see if Colt will have other new offerings to the 1911 down the road (or never?).
I replaced my triggers with the short ones when build or rebuild a 1911. They have some very thin grips as well just for that purpose and I think the flat mainspring helps a lot. The guns with the beaver tail all give me a better grip as well and I have both.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes. This year purchased 2 custom shop models (Custom Competition, Custom Carry Limited) & both are very fine guns. Also I own several of their other production guns including the Wiley Clapp series. I've had one issue with a WC & Colt customer service resolved it. CZ may offer an improvement in the future, we shall see. Going forward I'll consider any of the CCS guns. I'm currently interested in their rail guns. I'm interested in the CQB Two-Tone O1070CQB-FB. Also the Combat Unit in both 9mm & 45ACP.
I like Colts :D. Do you know where I could find these?

81 - 88 of 88 Posts