1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Great. More needs to be done to introduce women to guns.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I wish my wife would have started shooting earlier. She refuses to go to the range with me more and practice. Hopefully if she ever needs to use them she remembers what I taught her.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
My daughters (13 and 14) love the 4" Taurus loaded with standard .38 Special ammo!

Each is now quite adept at 12 yard headshots! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I work with a guy, who I thought was a pretty good guy until the other day when he told me his 8 year old daughter keeps bugging him to go shooting with him and his 2 sons. He said he wasn't too keen on her tagging along with "the guys" to the range even though she keeps asking to go. Now I just think he'd an idiot. My daughter's only 2 but will only have to ask one time to get me to take her as much as she wants. Since she's my only child, she will either have to love guns or be good at selling them off on gunbroker because she'll end up with a pretty big pile of 'em. TAKE THE GIRLS SHOOTING!! they need the abilility to defend themselves as much or more than we do!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have three sons and two grandsons, so don't have experience with a daughter. All of the boys were taken to the range and shooting a .22 by the time they were five years old. As they grew up, I've taken several of their girlfriends to the range, as well as various sisters-in-law and neices. Most had never been exposed to a firearm, and without exception, left the experience with a big grin on their faces and a respect for the sport.

Even if they are never went to a range again, they will have received some education and enough exposure to know when the politicians are speaking out of the sides of their mouth, and may be a voice of reason when the topic of firearms and shooting comes up in a discussion or in the voting booth.

ANYONE we can expose to the sport is a step in the right direction, not to mention a great opportunity to share time together.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My daughter asked me to take her shooting about 4 years ago so I did. She's now 19 and competes at our local IDPA monthly with me and has been for 4 years. She can shoot a 1911 .45 ACP with the best of them. Its not unusual for her to kick my rear in several of the stages each time out. She loves it and I enjoy having her go with me. The only downside is she took possesion of my favorite Baer commanche: I wasn't able to talk her into me buying her a Glock-go figure!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 5 daughters and they were never interested in firearms until my baby got into a debate in her college ethics class about handguns and the rights concerning them. She felt she could make a better argument if she knew how to handle one. We have always been close and she asked me to show her. I, of course, was delighted. I started her out with a S&W model 10 and she now shoots with me regularly at our local indoor range. I'm very proud of all of my daughters but this is really cool.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have tried to get my daughter into shooting but I am having no luck. A few weeks ago she asked me why I had guns because guns were just dumb and only for shooting defense less animals (Thank You Public Schools). Right now I am waiting on my Chipmunk rifle to get here so I can start teaching my kids to shoot.

·
Registered
662 Posts
My oldest just turned 4 in Jan and I got her a Cricket .22. She is not quite big enough yet, but she already wants to go to the range. I have let her shoot my Walther P-22 with some help and she has a blast.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I work with a guy, who I thought was a pretty good guy until the other day when he told me his 8 year old daughter keeps bugging him to go shooting with him and his 2 sons. He said he wasn't too keen on her tagging along with "the guys" to the range even though she keeps asking to go. Now I just think he'd an idiot. My daughter's only 2 but will only have to ask one time to get me to take her as much as she wants. Since she's my only child, she will either have to love guns or be good at selling them off on gunbroker because she'll end up with a pretty big pile of 'em. TAKE THE GIRLS SHOOTING!! they need the abilility to defend themselves as much or more than we do!
I almost agree 100% here, however, my eight year old daughter has been a little flaky up until this year, and in my wife and my judgement not yet responsible enough for supervised, public range time. This year she is getting a chipmunk .22, with the hot pink stock, and I will even flip for a Hannah Montana sticker for it.

Each of my kids will be introduced to shooting when they demonstrate the ability to focus and pay attention... I don't want to introduce any of my children until they are ready. I planned on taking my oldest out when she was five, but maturity issues ruled out... Now she is ready, and I am hoping she will pave the way for the other two.

pat

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yup,

Both my daughters started shooting at around 8 years old. With my Ruger MKII.

My oldest 30yr/o, preferred the Glock 30 but she has lived in New York and LA. And doesn't want to carry a weapon, and is uncomfortable about the laws and such. I put her through several full contact defense courses, that included the use of a Spyderco Delmonico knife.

(While in Brooklyn once, she told me she was scared. Pulled out her knife and opened the blade. Now who is going to attack a girl walking with an open blade in her hand in brooklyn. It ain't going to happen. I told her it was a good move. If she felt threatened to prepare to make your best fight. She did, and nothing happened.

My youngest, 20Yr/o preferred a 1911 in 45. The fun part is she stands about 4'10" and weights about 90lbs soaking wet. Shoots like a trooper. And she to can kick ass.

So she didn't care for my XCR, to heavy with all the toys on it for her. So I got her a Kel Tec SU16c. Nice and light, and she shoots the heck out of it. She has that now with a reddot on it. Takes it to the range with some of her friends.

She gets her own Colt Government when she turns 21 this year. Thin grips, and short trigger.

Don't mess with my little girls, they will kick your ass, and the little itty bitty one, will blow you away.

Go figure.

Fred

1 - 14 of 14 Posts