1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI, posted by Dane on the other board:

"The Bilby Raffle that I have promoted since Dec turns out to be TOTALLY illegal by Washington State law. I was notified of that fact today by a Special Agent of the Gambling Commission. Feel free to call them at 425 776 6751 if you have concerns.

"Because of that fact I am offering everyone that bought a ticket a complete refund on any ticket sales. Please notify me if you would like a refund. Many people asked that there be no refund if we did not sell 200 tickets. I will need confirmation from anyone who bought a ticket via private email @ [email protected] if you would like a refund or would like to gift the money to the original cause.

"Mad Dog and I personally own ALL the gifts that were offered. When things settle down and I have refunded all who deem it appropriate, those same gifts will be gifted in a LEGAL MANNER to the folks who deserve them."

I (me, RDye, that is) hate to be the messenger. Its not what anyone wanted to have happen, but there's a saying in law about no good deed goes unpunished.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I emailed Dane and told him I figure I already lost the thing fair and square, and do not want a refund. What a bunch of Big Brother crap. It's not even that they think anyone is being hurt by a raffle such as this, they just can't stand it because they weren't able to collect a tax on it.

[This message has been edited by Ned Christiansen (edited 05-21-2001).]

·
Registered
348 Posts
What really steams me is that apparently it's okay for Washington State gov't to promote and run the state lottery, but a raffle to benefit someone who could use the help is somehow a bad thing and must be outlawed.

No matter. Mrs. Bilby will still receive the money from my tickets and the pistol winners will still get the presentation cases I'm building.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In Washington it's legal for the indians to have gambling halls and bingo parlors, they can gill net our hatchery salmon in the rivers and sell them back to us smoked.

But a few white boys can't have a raffle to benefit the mother of a fallen comrade?

(no offense to native americans, but where the hell are the Wa. state legislature's heads?)

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Originally posted by Tomahawk:
In Washington it's legal for the indians to have gambling halls and bingo parlors, they can gill net our hatchery salmon in the rivers and sell them back to us smoked.

But a few white boys can't have a raffle to benefit the mother of a fallen comrade?

(no offense to native americans, but where the hell are the Wa. state legislature's heads?)
as the people who stole there land we can't help but offend them.

·
Registered
731 Posts
By the bye, I am of German descent, but I am a "Native American"--I was born here, so I'm as native as it gets.

Further, the land wasn't stolen. Soveriegn nations (the US and the Indian Nations) made treaties. One side (the Indians) couldn't enforce their side of the treaties, so the treaties, in effect, did not exist. Too bad, so sad. It has happened all thoughout history that one side could not enforce a treat and lost out for it. That's life.

Anyway, back on topic, yeah, that's really cold. I have trouble imagining the type of person who would complain about a benefit raffle like this.

Billy Ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts