1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an approved instructor for our new Illinois concealed carry permit, also have the approved course curriculum approved. Been a licensee firearms instructor way before this bill came into affect. A lot of student applicants are excited about this new law, however, when the students realize all the prohibitions, restrictions, "shall not rules" restrictions for parks, forest preserves districts, malls, schools, college and university, public parks, restrictions for public gatherings, special events, restrictions for public transportation, parking areas, and the list goes on. Stiff penalties for violating restricted areas, legal ramifications and charges at the end of the day, it seems that permit holders don't really truly have a permit to protect themselves.

Yes Illinois does have a so called, "concealed carry law" but when you read the fine print, get to know the restrictions and the law, some may even feel that it's just better to leave the firearm behind, locked and stored in a secure place.

$150 application fee, not including passport photo cost, fingerprint cost which could be anywhere from $55 to $75 and out of states residents applicants $300 fee, renewal every 5 yrs.. Wow it just amazes me how all these pro guy lobby groups truly bent over and allowed this to happen. Many won't be able to afford the fees involved, training hours required, and lastly many won't be able to pass the range qualification shoot course. However, Illinois state police is anticipating over 800,000 applicants in the first year along... Do the math!

$12,000,000 in the first year along!!! Seems to me that Illinois politicians looked at this opportunity as a cash cow.. It's just mind boggling!

·
Registered
977 Posts
You're preaching to the choir you know?

Each person will have to decide for themself to take the class, pay the fees, and apply. I will be ready when the applications come out.

And I'm pretty sure it's a "license", not a permit.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Once again Illinois politicians found a way to screw up a simple job. They have a long track record of making things far more expensive and less efficient than they should be.

I'm still planning on taking the class and getting a permit. First I have to save up some spare $$$. And find a good class. The LGS was telling me yesterday that there are many classes available in the area. The trick is getting a good one.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
....>>>>>> The LGS was telling me yesterday that there are many classes available in the area. The trick is getting a good one.
Define good. My version of good would be ; hand the dude the money, walk out with the certificate.

Bob

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I think you all should push Chicago into the lake.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
You speak as if we haven't tried. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here in Southern Illinois, We'd like to just turn Chicago into a state of it's own. They are not representative of everybody here. Or maybe give them to Michigan, then they could have two Detroits.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
This isn't really all that surprising, particularly since we're discussing IL.

I imagine with time and the election of level headed politicians, IF that's possible, the law will be amended to be more friendly to low income voters.

If you follow the history of CCW in other states, the laws generally get more liberal with time once the grannies realize that armageddon will not occur.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here in Southern Illinois, We'd like to just turn Chicago into a state of it's own. They are not representative of everybody here. Or maybe give them to Michigan, then they could have two Detroits.
For some odd reason Chicago is a "state" within the city. Many democrats, anti gunners, anti gun shy police superintendent McCarthy who clearly stated that many citizens will be shot by police officers of they choose to have a permit to conceal carry, amazing ignorant statement coming from a guy that never lived in Illinois and only has work for a small police department in New Jersey. So many qualified candidates within the ranks of the Police Dept but the city needs a puppet that they could control so what do they do???? Hire someone from out of state.

The real problem is the Chicago politicians, Chicago style corruption, political favoring, ignorance and the lacks of "real" facts surrounding CCW holders. Chicago has an immense amount of alderman's, 50 to be exact. 50! New York which swallows Chicago in siZe and population have only 25 for 5 boroughs.

Alderman's make over $120K+ year for a "part time" job, alderman's DO NOT work full time, not counting a city vehicle, office and personnel staff that gets paid by tax payers at over a cost that exceeds $250k and up! Of and a nice pension, medical insurance, etc etc Amazing how many people who live in Chicago don't even know these facts. Lastly, did you know that Chicago alderman's are considered "peace officers" therefor being allowed to be deputized and carry a concealed firearm...

How's that feels??

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm in DuPage county & am considering whether all the hassle is even worth it. Unfortunately, since I work in the city & use the Metra, I wouldn't even be allowed to take with me the majority of the time. I may just end up getting out of IL altogether.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
For some odd reason Chicago is a "state" within the city. Many democrats, anti gunners, anti gun shy police superintendent McCarthy who clearly stated that many citizens will be shot by police officers of they choose to have a permit to conceal carry, amazing ignorant statement coming from a guy that never lived in Illinois and only has work for a small police department in New Jersey. So many qualified candidates within the ranks of the Police Dept but the city needs a puppet that they could control so what do they do???? Hire someone from out of state.

The real problem is the Chicago politicians, Chicago style corruption, political favoring, ignorance and the lacks of "real" facts surrounding CCW holders. Chicago has an immense amount of alderman's, 50 to be exact. 50! New York which swallows Chicago in siZe and population have only 25 for 5 boroughs.

Alderman's make over $120K+ year for a "part time" job, alderman's DO NOT work full time, not counting a city vehicle, office and personnel staff that gets paid by tax payers at over a cost that exceeds $250k and up! Of and a nice pension, medical insurance, etc etc Amazing how many people who live in Chicago don't even know these facts. Lastly, did you know that Chicago alderman's are considered "peace officers" therefor being allowed to be deputized and carry a concealed firearm...

How's that feels??
some animals are more equal than others.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
...A lot of student applicants are excited about this new law, however, when the students realize all the prohibitions, restrictions, "shall not rules" restrictions for parks, forest preserves districts, malls, schools, college and university, public parks, restrictions for public gatherings, special events, restrictions for public transportation, parking areas, and the list goes on...
Wow…so, basically a CCW permit and the costs/training associated with it really means the person is only allowed to carry in his/her home?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What did you do to prevent this from happening? You're a citizen of Illinois, aren't you?

Excuse you?? What have I done for my state and country, more than most are willing to do and sacrifice, 12 yrs as a law enforcement officer, 9 yrs of those serving in the Illinois State Police, 9 yrs as a current Chicago Firefighter, 16 yrs of military service to my country and 3 combat duty tours in the middle east. So what have I done? I've done more than my fair share of contacting my state representatives, politicians, written letters, attended rally's etc.. Also, refuse to vote for those that are against our 2nd amendment rights... Sadly Chicago is full of democrats, which I don't vote for any of them to begin with... But yes, to answer your question... I've done more than enough

·
Registered
706 Posts
$12,000,000 in the first year along!!! Seems to me that Illinois politicians looked at this opportunity as a cash cow.. It's just mind boggling!
Is this a joke? The "cash cow" factor was praised and touted by CCW supporters for years as a way to help convince politicians to pass it in this broken state. :scratch:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Wow. God Bless America (but truly blessed some parts more than others). ;) I can carry in our state capitol building if I want.

There was a news report a month or so back about our state office managing the CC permits. Year-to-date they were still under budget by almost 50%, and considering lowering the fees. Currently $46 application fee, with $15 five year renewals by mail.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Did the rest of you Illinois residents HONESTLY believe that we would get a perfect conceal carry law from the start, and that the Madigan and his gang weren't going to attempt to exploit this to fund our broken state in effort to avoid entitlement reform?

Vin63, the law isn't as bad as he made it sound in that post. There are plenty of places you can carry, and you are allowed to carry almost everywhere if you are considered "passing through"... the forest preserve also only applies to Cook County.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
...Vin63, the law isn't as bad as he made it sound in that post. There are plenty of places you can carry, and you are allowed to carry almost everywhere if you are considered "passing through"... the forest preserve also only applies to Cook County.
Gotcha…I wouldn't have put it past the politicians to restrict to that level. I'm just glad there is a CCW permit process there.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
This isn't really all that surprising, particularly since we're discussing IL.

I imagine with time and the election of level headed politicians, IF that's possible, the law will be amended to be more friendly to low income voters.

If you follow the history of CCW in other states, the laws generally get more liberal with time once the grannies realize that armageddon will not occur.
I rather doubt it. The Chicago politicians will no doubt attempt to amend the law into a worthlessness.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.