1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a milspec for sale on gunsamerica for $405, but it says it has the ILS. Do all Springfields have this now? And can I simply change out the MSH to get rid of it, or is this internal to the pistol?

·
Registered
479 Posts
well...

You must wave a sacred dead chicken over it several times and chant the middle name of Rob Letham.

Seriously, though. Yes, you can just pull it out and put in a non ILS MHS.

I grabbed a pair of WWII from a local shop and installed non-ILS MSH with GI lanyard loops.

The ILS is in response to the sillyness that is Kalifornia. (I think)

-Warlock

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since my whole reason for going through the time and expense of building a custom gun based on the springfield is that I don't like kimber series II and/or colt series 80, it would be kind of silly to keep another "safety" feature that I can so easily get rid of.

I don't really need Colt, Kimber, or Springfield telling me what's best for me. The Springfield's offending part just happens to be the easiest to get rid of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do all Springfields have the offending safety part, including the new Milspec that I am considering for purchase? If so, how easy are they to remove and what is the associated cost of a new part? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
253 Posts
gvidon said:
...how easy are they to remove and what is the associated cost of a new part?
Mainsprings are easy to remove, usually cost between $50 and $100. I always buy the ones with mag wells.

Other than just preference, do you guys know of an issues with the ILS system? I just bought my first Springfield, so I have no experience.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly, I have as much issue with the politics that put the ILS (as well as series II, and series 80) on the gun as I do with the part in general.
I just see it as an unnecesary part that could break and cause the gun not to function at a critical moment. My guns are first and foremost tools that I expect to protect my life, and anything that hampers that function, or could cause it NOT to function, I have issue with. These safety parts do nothing to improve the gun, and only serve to weaken it in my view.

I'm still unclear on exactly what parts I have to remove, and what parts I have to replace.

gvidon;
Yes, apparently they all have them now.
The springs themselves are about $7 for five (item 087-045-919 from brownells) and the mainspring housing is about $18 for a part that otherwise matches the factory part exactly (item 555-101-002 from brownells). For me it would be worth it for $25 to get rid of the "problem", but I can't figure out exactly what I need to replace.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I removed the ILS on my springer and I feel better this way. The less parts the better. When I totally stripped that gun and found myself dipping the MSH in a water container, I wonder how much water the ILS key hole would retain. Now I have a standard MSH AND a lock pin so the spring is secured in the MSH.

Plus, I live in Kalifornia and found the ILS stuff an other abuse over my rights. Why don't they offer it as an options in the other non-silly states is a mystery to me. If John Browning didn't put this in the first place, why should it be on my gun? I am also a strong series 70 supporter.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nextstepguy;
since you have removed yours, could you please tell me exactly which parts you had to replace to get rid of it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you do not engage the ILS using the little key they provide, then should never get in the way of anything. However, if you do want to remove it for peace of mind, aesthetic, or other reasons, just swap out the MSH with a standard one and you'll be fine. You can get a plastic one for cheap (like I did for $8) or you can get a nicer metal one for around $25. Then you can change out the internals (mainspring, cap, lock pin all for about $6 through Brownells) for a lighter trigger pull. I also prefer the flat MSH as opposed to the arched, but that's personal preference. Anyways, I thought it was one of the best bang for the buck mods I did. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I've replaced the new ILS MSHs with standard types and you will need the following:

Main spring housing
Main spring (Not lighter than 18 lbs IMO)
Main spring cap
Main spring cap pin

You can reuse the mainspring housing retainer (cone tipped pin at the bottom of the main spring) that comes with the ILS housing or buy a new one, your choice.

Springfield's ILS mainspring cap is different from a standard MS cap. The ILS’ stem is shorter while the "cap" is much taller with a groove around its circumference which is engaged by the “lock”. The mainspring itself is also shorter to accommodate the altered MS cap.

The ILS internals from Springfield’s full size frames will fit inside a standard MSH, but a MS Cap pin will be needed to make it a captive assembly like the Colt and Kimber pistols.

The ILS internals from Springfield’s compact frames will NOT fit an Officers’ MSH because Springfield uses parts with the full size frame's smaller outside diameter rather than the Officers’ larger outside diameters. In this case, in addition to the list above, you must also buy a Mainspring housing retainer (cone shaped pin on bottom of mainspring) for the officers sized guns.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AFman;
Thank you for answering the question is such a straightforward & concise manner, and for providing all of the information required.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I really dont see what the mechanical problem with the ILS is. If you dont use it, its not there. I have easily thousands of rounds through everything from Ultra Compacts to Trophy Matchs with out any problems. Is it cheap and easy to swap out? Absolutely! I took the money that I would have spent to swap the ILS out and spent it on ammo. Did not regret it at the time, still dont.

I ROd the Springfield Action Challenge in Orlando that ran concurrent with the NRA show. There wer countless thousands and thousands of rounds sent downrange those days without any failures.

As for politics, I would rather our disadvantaged fellow shooters have a 1911 with "safety systems" then be without 1911s. I realize that misfortune or a transfer could land me in Cali.
If you really want to make a difference take part politically and fight the real enemy, dont just complain on the net about companies that are following the law to sell their product.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Choice is good

If you are interested. Here are the parts # and prices that you can order from Springfield directly (MSH is blued/flat/ checkered to match my Loaded) :

Main spring PI0022 $1.85
Main spring housingPI0079 $32.00
MSH pin PI0026 $1.85
Main spring cap PI0023 $2.30
Main spring cap pin PI0025 $1.85

Bonus: here is the GI style recoil rod that I switched to (I hate the full lenght two pieces one that came with my loaded) :
Recoil spring PI0030 $2.90
Recoil spring guide PI0032 $9.25

As for taking action: I am a NRA life member and don't miss one occasion to support financially and morally local orgs and ranges in my area. We are all in the same boat and should be really holding each others hand in the current social times, being in Kalifornia or not. Because what starts in Kalifornia usually expands everywhere else in the country and the rest of the world. After all, we got the movie industry to help spread the word.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
100_Warlock

100_Warlock,
Where did you get your non ILS GI mainspring housing? I gather the unit fit was adequate and it does look better. Can you post a picture? :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
norman74,

You are most welcome...

JudokaFL,

The mechanical difference between ILS and standard is in tension on the hammer.

The ILS uses a shorter, heavier weight, mainspring than the standard unit.

I prefer the feel, especailly in hand cycling from a hammer down condition, of the standard unit, and it does have some small effect on trigger pull feel as well.

FWIW

1 - 18 of 18 Posts