1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp. I tried to replace the ILS in my Champion LW with a Wilson MSH. Turns out the Wilson does not fit. It is a tad too long.

Anybody else experience this?

What MSH would fit?????

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mods delete thread please

Mods go ahead and delete...

I found the sticky :biglaugh: what an idiot.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude. I am tellilng you that the Wilson MSH does not fit my LW Champ Operator.
It did fit my GI.
They are different frames.
So I ask again, anybody know what aftermarket MSH fits?
I did read the sticky. That is why I am asking here.
I will contact SA and ask them.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Msh

Many MSH have to be fitted to a specific gun. I have had 3 S&A MSH and have not had to modify them to get them to fit properly.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yes it isn't too uncommon to have to do a little fitting on the MSH. But as mentioned above I replaced my ILS MSH with a SMith and Alexander which dropped in.

-Hershey

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I changed out mine with an S&A magwell and it fits very well.
I had no problems at all.
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Two things come to my mind when you say "too long". First, don't forget that the ILS is a "captive system" and normally doesn't have any pressure on the hammer strut. A "regular" MSH sometimes has a little resistance from the hammer strut and has to be pushed up into place and held until the pin is started.
I also wonder if you are referring to it being too long at the top. Some MSH will have to be fit a little where they meet up against the grip safety. If neither of these ideas is it, I'm at a loss for ideas. But as mentioned above, any 1911 MSH should fit right in your gun with minor fitting. I don't know what could make one the "wrong size". Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There appears to be variation in the location of the mainspring housing pin holes for Springfield frames and some mainspring housings. I had a S&A magwell that wasn't even close to fitting my Loaded (the frame and magwell holes were significantly misaligned).

·
Registered
541 Posts
Does the champ have a shorter frame? You might need the Officers model mainspring housing. I have an older 1996 Springfield Compact customized by Wilson Combat. It used an officers sized mainspring housing. I haven't seen a Champ up close just photo's so I really can't tell you if that is actually the problem.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
Dude. I am tellilng you that the Wilson MSH does not fit my LW Champ Operator.
It did fit my GI.
They are different frames.
So I ask again, anybody know what aftermarket MSH fits?
I did read the sticky. That is why I am asking here.
I will contact SA and ask them.
They are not different. Exact frames other than a shorter dustcover.

I just installed 2 Wilson MSHs in two different champions...about as perfectly flush as you can imagine. Perfect all the way around...I would have to say there is something wrong with your frame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts