1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, about 10 months ago I was thinking about getting a SA Milspec, but the only one in my area was all scrached up, and I started to get interested in Colts.

8 Months ago, I left for Parris Island.

Now I am in Quantico, and I still want to get a 1911 varient, and I would like to know more about the SW1911s. Pritty much, I have been out of the loop and know almost nothing about the SW1911. I have read many of the post on this forum about them and I have a few questions.

So the recall was about the size of the hole the firing pin safety whent thru?
Hows the quality on these, anyone having problems?
Whats the average price on one of these?

Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, the recall went through. I haven't sent mine back yet. (even though I got the shipping sticker and everything from S&W. Just can't get myself to let go of it.) But from posts that I've read on this forum, it sounds like I would get it back in less than 2 weeks. Hopefully, if you purchase one new, the shop owner will have already sent it back to S&W.

Quality? I love it. Haven't had a single problem with the exception of a few FTF when I was using flat nosed FMJ rounds. But everything else I feed through it, goes without a glich. Wide variety of hollow points, round nose FMJ's, and semi-wadcutters have all loaded without a problem.

Most places that I've seen, the prices range from $700-750. If you find it locally for less then $700, buy it if you can. I expect the prices to go up. I've seen prices around $800 also. If that's the price you come across, keep shopping.

The only other 1911's that I've shot was my father-in-laws SA mil-spec, and a Kimber rental at a gun range. (not sure which variety of Kimber it was, and it was beat up and in bad need of a good cleaning). But in my opinion, for all that you get in the gun, it's a good price.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think the recall only applied to the early guns they manufactured. If you buy now, your gun will already have the fix.
I've owned mine for about 6 months. Currently at S&W as it was subject to the recall. Reliability has been excellent. Gun is tight and well put together. Gun is very accurate. Never had a FTF or FTE, but I usually shoot FMJ. I paid $700, which I think was a pretty good price. Most seem to go for between $700-750.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Mine has never had a malfunction. It is well made and smooth as a hot knife through butter. I sent mine back for the recall (never had a problem with it, but didn't want to take the chance) and still runs great. I've got close to 1,000 rounds through it and overall I'm very impressed with it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My son-in-law gave me two of them back in July.
One still unfired in safe. Other one has had
1600 rounds through it with no malfunctions
of any kind. Very accurate and a pleasure to
shoot. Did not send back on recall. I have been
shooting 1911s for over sixty years and have
never dropped one so see no reason for this
safety except to be politically correct; which I am
not. I removed the safety parts and stored them
in the lid of the box. If I drop it and shoot myself
I will not blame nor sue S&W. It did help the trigger
pull slightly but the pull was OK before removal.
I find no faults with the gun out of the box.

I see them advertised for under 700. If you can
buy for that price, get it before they go up. Son-in-law
gave 740 for mine in Texas. No local dealer has ever
had one in stock. If I did not have one [two] I would
buy in a minute.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I simply mean that Llama has their Schwartz safety working fine. S&W and Kimber can't seem to figure it out. The S&W I tried had FTF from the safety malfunctioning. I could not bet my life on a CCW from S&W. The SW1911 is not reliable enough.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for youre comments, now I think I need to get back out to the shops and take a closer look at what they have.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Josey said:
I simply mean that Llama has their Schwartz safety working fine. S&W and Kimber can't seem to figure it out. The S&W I tried had FTF from the safety malfunctioning. I could not bet my life on a CCW from S&W. The SW1911 is not reliable enough.
They had a problem with the first few thousand and made it right. The thing is right as rain now and as reliable as any 1911 out there.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I am only aware of the first models being recalled and repaired. The present model is an improvement. The SW1911 is overpriced and simply not a regular production firearm. If I were to want a clone 1911, I would buy a Ed Brown 1911. I carry, own and shoot Browning Hi-Powers, Polish Radoms, Llamas and Stars. I will be looking for Sistema 1927, Hafdasa and Ballester Molinas for my future 1911 purchases. I prefer pre-war quality. The SW1911 may be a great 1911 clone. I simply don't want one and the few I have seen didn't make me rush to buy one. YMMV

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm curious about what you mean when you say it is overpriced and not a regular production firearm.

Is it more expensive than another stainless steel one from another maker with the same quality and bells and whistles? Which one(s)?

Also, you kind of lost me on the it not being a regular production gun remark. Would youmind eleborating? The SW1911 is my first 1911, so I would appreciate your input about it. Not that I ad much choice, here in Mass you can't get anything else (1911) except a $2500.00 SVI, which I can't afford...

·
Registered
614 Posts
S&W has basically taken the "name" aftermarket suppliers parts and pulled them together in their SW1911. That is not bad in itself. I am one of those people who prefers to piece his own parts together. The SW1911 is also a Performance Center piece from my reading and understanding of their literature. S&W has several PC firearms listed. That means that each individual part and function is gone over with a fine tooth comb. Fit and function should be high quality, there was a recall though. Parts breakage and improper fit of parts and a total lack of function with FTFs. The SW1911 is OK. If I were going to look at a stainless 1911 with aftermarket parts fitted I would simply ask Wilson or Brown to build one for me. S&W is outsourcing parts from the "names" anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No, the SW 1911 is not a performance center firearm. The first couple were ASSEMBLED at the performance center but did not have any custom work done on them. None of the Fit and Finish stuff that they do.

That being said, I LOVE mine. The gun has had about 1000 rounds through it and not one of them FTF. The group is a little to the left of the bullseye but grouped tight as one can expect for an off the shelf gun. I tried to move the rear sight but I couldn't get it to move and was worried about scratching the slide so I quit. I would definately buy another in a hearbeat.

Robb Feldhege

·
Registered
614 Posts
My error. I believed they were all PC assembled. I am still not going to buy one. LOL

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have 200 rnds through my SW1911 with no issues.
I am getting a sampling of several types of HP ammo to try next outing. The recall was for s.n.'s <=JRD4750.
Mine is up in the 6600's. Definitely worth the $699 I paid.
Also, for those who may have a .22 conversion kit, when I was at the Smith Academy range last Feb. to try out the SW1911, they indicated it worked great with the Wilson kit.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just bought an SW1911 this past weekend to go with my Kimbers. No shots fired yet, but I have no reason to believe it will anything but what I expect from S&W - a great, reliable, fun to shoot, firearm.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The SW1911 is a well done piece. Grant it, there was a recall and I give them credit for standing up and owning up to the mistake. The problem is being addressed. Also the cleaning of the interior of the slide is very easy thanks to the incredibly smooth interior surfaces of the gun. I think that shows a great deal of attention to detail that is often neglected. I love my SW1911 and have absolutely no intentions of getting rid of it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Mine was one of the first 100 or so to come out. I have over 2000 rounds through mine now. I have had exactly 3 FTF with mine. All FTF were with Winclean ammo with a flat nose. And that was out of 400 rounds of Winclean that I fired that day. Imagine that, a semi auto pistol that doesn't feed a particular bullet 100% all of the time. I bet Wilson and Brown have NEVER had THAT problem (haha). I said it before and I will say it again. My SW1911 is the BEST box stock pistol I have EVER owned. Buy whatever brand suits your tastes, but I have never had faster or more accurate double tap splits than with my S&W. Thank you JRD!:D
And as far as S&W out-sourcing parts, no manufacturer of firearms that I know of makes 100% of it's parts in house. I am just glad that S&W uses quality parts.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts