1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so glad I was patient with my Kimber. Early on I was having problems with getting the gun to go fully into battery. Between 0 and 500 rnds, I was just about fed up with the gun. Between 750 and 1000, it was better. Between 1000 and 1500 it rarely happened.

I've probably put about 1000 rounds through the gun since it last failed to feed.

Same goes for my Springfield,,,,,I was just about fed up with it and it has ran for about 1000 rnds now without a hicup.

FYI,,,,,

The Kimber is a Classic Custom and the Springfield is a stainless V10 Ultra Compact.

Thanks,
H4444

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry, you had the problem. So far I have had flawless performance from my Custom II.
I have a Wilson 47D 8rd and a McCormick Shooting Star SS 8rd and the factory mag. When I shoot I alternate mags to try and notice in differences in performance. I have noticed a pattern of how the empties fall with the changing of magazines.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by Seawarrior:
I have noticed a pattern of how the empties fall with the changing of magazines.
That is interesting...

I suppose the different mags cause the next round to sit higher, or lower, and when the ejection cycle is started, the empty case is sliding across the top of the next round and hitting the ejector at a slightly different angle with each mag.

Normally, I would say that it should have no affect, and that the extractor, and ejector would be the only things involved, but knowing that the mag spring can affect the height of the empty seated in the extractor, I can see how this is causing what you are seeing. Very interesting, indeed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Kimber was the same way. I thought it was junk. But 500 rounds, a tuned extractor, and a new Wilson mag later, it's like another animal!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
A little off-subject here.... I've noticed that FTFs and FTEs with Beretta 92/96s are almost unheard of. Don't get me wrong, I love 1911s and I love tinkering and tuning, but all of these NIB and LNIB 1911s with feed problems is getting ridiculous! Come to think of it, I've NEVER actually witnessed a Beretta 92/96 experience a feed related hiccup whether NIB or old as the hills.

I think a lot of the feed-related problems with the 1911 design can be attributed to the internal extractor. Once that is tuned, and a quality magazine is employed, they usually feed well. But the observation on the comparison of Berettas and 1911s simply cannot be ignored. One can buy a NIB Beretta, load the factory mags, and burn powder ALL DAY LONG without failures. This marvel of modern technology happens every day.

On the flip side... How many NIB 1911s are sold every day only to be taken to the range by the proud new owner and display terrible feeding performance? 10% of them? 25%? There is something amiss here..

Callahan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Inspector Callahan, I concur. The only reason I don't on a Beretta is because I don't care for 9mm. I'm for big bore pistols. What you're saying could be said this way; How many manufacturers are making copies of 92F/96s and how many manufacturers are making or have made a 1911?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've never had feeding or extraction problems with any of my Glocks or HKs, but I'm still getting a Kimber because I want a 1911, damn it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMO if some minor tweaks and tunes are performed on a 1911 there is not another handgun in the world that can run with them.

I have seen numerous euro guns FTF, FTE etc., etc., and then had to listen to the BS about this only happens once in 500 or whatever rounds.

The 1911 is the most copied gun in the world shooting the best self defense load that can be found. Let's check back in 50 to 75 years and see if these euro guns can say the same thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts