1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Newbie here looking for advice. I recently joined an indoor pistol club and now want to add a 1911 to my collection. It seems that these are the pistols of choice for most of the members. Plus my .22lr pee shooter is getting bland. I am not a rich man and have two young boys, wife, humble home, dog... so I won't be buying a Wilson. My budget is $700 tops out the door. So I want to be very careful that I get exactly what I want/need. I have been trying to educate myself, but still have many questions that I am not clear on. Here are a few:

I really, really like the looks of a blued gun, but I think a stainless will be more durable. I will never holster this gun. I have a 9mm carry gun. Will a blued gun be ok and look good for a long time? Any disadvantages to either?

I found a gun that I am considering. It has Millett fully adjustable rear sights. Are these quality sights?

I like a checkered front strap. Why are most 1911's not checkered? The same gun that I am considering does have a checked front strap. Is this a sign of a premium gun?

What is a Kings Pad???

What is a combat hammer and its purpose?

Lastly, what should I reasonably expect for my budget?

Thanks in advance for any help that I receive.

Best Regards,

...luker

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

A blued pistol will look fine as long as you wipe it down regularily with a quality lube. You state that it will not see a holster, so wear is not a concern. A blued pistol will be fine. A stainless pistol is easier to refinish should it get scratched however.

Millet sights are OK. Bomars are better IMO - but pricier.

Checkering of the front strap costs money. It is typically not found on factory pistols in order to keep costs down. You didn't indicate what pistol you are looking at that has a checkered front strap. It can be sign of a good pistol, that may have had some custom work done to it. It may also be a beater that someone butchered. If the checkering is sharp and true, then the work was probably done properly.

King's pad? Got me. Could be a King's thumb safety with an extended pad?

A combat (or commander) hammer is rounded and is usually skeletonized or has a hollowed-out hole. It is designed to work with beavertail grip safeties to prevent hammer bite. GI style spur hammers can hit the web of the hand during recoil. A combat hammer will prevent this.

$700.00 should get you a decent Colt.

·
Banned
597 Posts
First I'll try to answer your list of questions.

I say go with blued. Stainless is not nearly as rust resistant as people make it out to be. Buy a silicone rag from Kleenbore and wipe the gun down before you put it away, you'll never have a rust problem.

Millet are pretty good sights in general. I'm not a fan of adjustables personally, but whatever floats your boat.

Checkering is expensive, whether done by hand or a machine. Therefore lots of guns leave it off. You can always have it added later, or just put skateboard grip tape on the front strap. I'm thinking of going the grip-tape route myself.

I have no idea what a kings pad is.

Combat hammers work in conjunction with the extended "beavertail" grip safeties. They are also "tuned" by weight for various reasons.

I think you could expect alot from your budget. A Dan Wesson Pruitt model, a Springfield "loaded", or (not my personal choice these days) a base model Kimber should all be available for under $700. Remember that the MSRP prices you see online aren't what you'll actually pay for the gun; usually it's much less. Check out www.gunbroker.com and www.gunsamerica.com after you find a model you like, and that will give you some idea of what to expect.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
I believe that the King's Pad is the grip safety with a checkered memory bump made by King's Gun Works.

·
Registered
554 Posts
So give us a bit more info on this 1911 you're looking at. You've talked about its Millett sights and checkered front strap, but what is it, Colt, Springfield, Rock Island :rolleyes: Unless you really know what you're looking at, previously owned handguns can be more problematic than you want to deal with. If it's a Colt or Springfield I'd take a good look at it. Rock Island forgetaboutit.

My recommendation would also lean towards a new Colt 1991A1. Colt's 1911's (of which the 1991A1 qualifies) of late have been high quality and the price has remained very competitive. Good gun for the money.

Later you can have some of the other features added as you desire, but meanwhile you'll have a solid firearm that should last quite a while.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all, thanks for all the quick responses. Great forum. I've been lurking for a while and plan on staying.

Acually, I'm looking at a few different ones, but I am leaning towards the one I mentioned in the above post. It is a Dan Wesson Patriot. The main reason I am considering the DW is because I live down the road from the factory and will save money on shipping and FFL transfer fees. It is in their factory direct program under the non-standard models. Plus warrantee or custom work will be easy for me.

Here is the desciption sent to me. It is not on their website.

full size 5”, Blue steel frame with Blue slide, Milett fully adjustable rear sight & white dot front sight, new external extractor design & target rib on slide. Patriot series, SS Match Target barrel, high ride Chip McCormick beavertail safe, extended thumb safe, Chip McCormick match trigger & combat hammer. Hogue tulipwood exotic wood grips & hex head screws. Checkered Front strap. 1- 7 round magazine with Kings pad.

It is about $650. If I don't buy it my best friend is going to buy it. But they have other similar models/deals to chose from.

I am not in a hurry, but have been looking for 3 months and really want to start shooting at the indoor range. My 22lr pistol is a Walther P22. It is a very fun plinker but not really a target pistol.

I really like Kimbers, but should take advantage of being so close to the DW factory.

What do you think?

...luker

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I'm not gonna suggest one over the other, but don't base your decision on $15 worth of shipping. You'll probably save alot more by buying out of state and skipping your sales tax.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
luker said:
First of all, thanks for all the quick responses. Great forum. I've been lurking for a while and plan on staying.

Snip.....

It is a Dan Wesson Patriot.

Snip.....

Here is the desciption sent to me. It is not on their website.

full size 5”, Blue steel frame with Blue slide, Millett fully adjustable rear sight & white dot front sight, new external extractor design & target rib on slide. Patriot series, SS Match Target barrel, high ride Chip McCormick beavertail safe, extended thumb safe, Chip McCormick match trigger & combat hammer. Hogue tulipwood exotic wood grips & hex head screws. Checkered Front strap. 1- 7 round magazine with Kings pad.

It is about $650.

What do you think?

...luker
What you're looking at is not really a Patriot. What you have described is a Major slide (target rib & Millett sights) with an external extractor. This may be one of their pre-Patriot experimental models that they seem to have quite a few of. The frame on that particular pistol is probably the blue Major / Pruitt cast frame.

You can get a real stainless Patriot with forged frame and slide for less than $700 from some of the online discounters and like AZ said, no sales tax.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
27 Posts
Luker. It sounds like you've been patient and are serious about staying within your price range. I say go ahead and buy the Dan Wesson. For one, it will keep the money locally and it will help the local employees too. Two, you might just fall in love with it. Three, you'll buy more 1911's and they will be from different makers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi again,

SAMCOLTFAN you were right on the money. I talked to Bob S. and he checked it out for me. It is exactly what you described. They did say it was an *experimental* Patriot. I assumed that since they listed it as a Patriot series that it must have the same specs. I somewhat think I was mislead. I think experimental should be explained better for us newbies. I would have never even of thought to ask this question... if it were not for you. *AND* I asked a lot of other questions before I bid. It was an auction on Gunbroker. Bob told me that if I don't want it now, no problem at all. He invited me up to the factory and offered to custom build for around the same price. I don't know what to do. I am so frustrated. I have been looking at 1911's for nearly 6 months. I almost feel like quitting now. I am getting very impatient now and don't think I can wait for a custom to be built. I did look at the Patriot Expert at one of the online discounters for $659. If this auction gun was $100 less, I would buy it and chalk it up as my starter gun. I just can't justify spending the same money as what a real Patriot would cost. Why aren't they discounting these more since they are inferior to the real thing? I'm back to the beginnig. Maybe I'll just buy a Kimber or that SW945(not in my budget) that I really wanted.

Thanks,

luker

·
Registered
554 Posts
Is it really inferior? Regardless of the answer that question, I'd take Bob S. up on his offer to build a gun just for you. Factory custom for $699 and you know the individual who built it? Hard to beat that and it may not take as long to build as you think. Think of it as an investment. Don't rush yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Knowing what I know now, if I had $700 to spend on a first 1911, I'd go out and buy a Colt NRM Government, blued.

Buy the 1911, not the bells and whistles. Get the best 1911 your money will buy. For $700 in my opinion, that's a Colt NRM Government. You can add bells and whisles later if you decide you really want them.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I will second Xaviers suggestion. A Colt. 1991A1 or NRM fullsize. I have been carrying and shooting Colts for many years. They are keepers, not starter models. Buy Colt and be happy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Luker, buy the one you want. Stop worrying about things. Like I said earlier, you will buy more 1911's so it's not like this pistol is going to be the pistol to end all pistols. May I suggest avoiding a Colt though. Unless you want to throw it in a safe and keep it for a collectors item, because in my opinion Colt is either going to be sold off once again or stop the sale of 1911's all together. Colt is no more made any better or any worse than any of the other top 1911 manufacturers.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
But then again.......9 1/2 times out of 10 a Colt will work fresh out of the box.

Regards,
Sam

PS: It's nice to see my 5,000th post is about Colt. Very fitting don't you think?;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
SamColtFan said:
But then again.......9 1/2 times out of 10 a Colt will work fresh out of the box.

Regards,
Sam

PS: It's nice to see my 5,000th post is about Colt. Very fitting don't you think?;)
As will Kimber, Springfield, and a host of others. (Jennings probably won't) :biglaugh:

And by the way - Congrats on your 5,000th post. But wait... weren't all 5,000 about Colts? :D

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hey Luker- Are you in Chenango County?

My dad has a camp between Afton and Guilford. Nice little snowstorm this morning!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts