1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My best friend called me yesterday, and he has an extra ticket for game 5 of the Wolrd Series! I'm sitting 16 rows behind home plate! The next day, we are heading to the Alamo! I can't believe this; for me it's a dream come true. I've wanted to see the Alamo since I was a little kid and saw the movie with John Wayne. I'm every bit as excited - maybe even moreso - to go to the Alamo as I am to get a great (free!!!) seat for the World Series. I've never been to Texas before.

So the bottom line is, I'm taking my Colt NRM Government to the Alamo to imbue it with some spirit. :cool: Man, I cannot wait. I hope the Astros don't get swept in four.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I share your enthusiasm for that historic place. But I would check the carry laws before packing iron to a public place in a non-resident state.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will check out the carry laws first. :) I can't wait to get there. My dad and I made it to Little Bighorn about 20 years ago, and the spirit of that place was profound. I think this might be the same type of experience.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've traveled in the West almost every summer the past 20 years, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota mostly, and some of the places I've been give me goosebumps. I've got 4 years until I retire then I will be found there most of the time. SD, WY, MT in the summer, AZ, NV, NM and TX in the winter. can't hardly wait!

·
Registered
374 Posts
RandyColt - you have an awesome plan! I've been fortunate my entire life having spent most of it in the Last Frontier or all over the western states you mention.....closest place to heaven I've been. Good luck in your ventures

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RandyColt, that's great! Good luck. The more you look, the more you find. There's a lot to see from the Old West.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't do what Ozzy Osbourne did there!

Did you hear the story of what Ozzy did when he first visited the Alamo? I heard that he peed on it. That would ordinarily make me angry, but since it was Ozzy......

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I definitely plan to take my camera. :)

I like Ozzy's music, but someone should have knocked him on his **** for that one. What a pig.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
HighVelocity said:
Adam, TX is great and the Alamo is really something to see. Take your camera.
Used to be no pictures in Chapel. Been their several times but need to visit some of other missions in area to get idea of size and what walls ect. would have been like. Then go to W Texas and see J.W. Alamo .

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Experience the Alamo

Hi, Adam.

The Alamo is a state park in Texas. I doubt you can carry a weapon legally.

I'm an architect, and I was at the Alamo two weeks ago. The basilica space (the main space inside) touched me in a way I'll never forget. The weight of the doors, the sounds, the smells, the age, the proportions of the space, natural lighting through the high windows accented by only two electric light fixtures, the way the structural system becomes part of the expression of the space, everything was such a treat. I spent hours walking around in there just to enjoy the space. In the two side sanctuaries, look at some of the arches from the roof structure, and see how they end half way down the wall. Then look on the other side of the wall for a big heavy pilaster (like a big solid column built into the wall). The pilasters provide mass to take up the lateral thrust from the arches. Then look at all the other interior arches, and walk outside to see pilasters on the outside also. Considering that there were no engineers or building designers helping them design a limestone masonry building, they did a fabulous job of capturing spirituality in a technically sound structure. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. (Also, there are two flintlocks in one of the side sanctuaries dating from the early 1800's, and they are nearly MINT condition for their age. Enjoy!!!)

·
Registered
637 Posts
The Alamo is certainly a grand experience. However Its a little different than the Little Big Horn in that the surrounding city sort of stifles that mystical sense of history. I went when I was a kid, I saw them both. I am a huge fan of Alamo history and lore. And I don't mind the surrounding city, but they just don't mesh well.
Not to say that it isn't grand experience, just saying that for me The Little Big Horn turned out to have that overwhelming profundity that I expected.
enjoy the Alamo, the ballgame, and Texas.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the friendly input. Little Bighorn was a trip, wasn't it? One of the top two or three places I've ever been to. I'll never forget it as long as I live.

Man, I hope that story of Ozzy isn't true. :bawling: It's probably not. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
698 Posts
I visited the Alamo this past August. I can't recommend it enough. Definitely make time for the history talk in the courtyard. Waco is only 3 hours from San Antonio. And in Waco is the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame Museum. I spent about half a day in there and didn't feel like I had wasted a minute. I strongly recommend that you add that to your itinerary. They have more guns in that place that in most gun shows. Granted I am exagerating...but not by much. If you like history, you need to hit this place as well.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Nick A said:
Hi, Adam.

!!)
Yeah, I would check on this before arriving. If it is in a State Park then
who knows? But a Federal Park Service area would be a No No I am
almost sure.

FYI, in Ohio one CAN carry in all state parks. The law is setup specifically
to address this.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
41 Posts
Greyson said:
FYI, in Ohio one CAN carry in all state parks. The law is setup specifically
to address this.
We are a bit off topic but you are only half right about Ohio. You can carry in state parks but NOT in any building including rest rooms.

There is a state park near me with no gun signs on the pit out houses! You know the ones that stink and have no running water. No kidding guns are banned in Ohio State Park out houses. Our CCW law is the pits.

Back to gun friendly Texas,

The Alamo is a great site to visit. Have fun.

Philip

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nick A said:
I took my CHL class in TX just a couple months ago, and we were told it is OK in a state, county or city park if you have a permit, but not a national park. Its NOT OK at a profesional sporting event, so don't try to take it to the game.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey Adam,

It is true that Ozzy peed on the Alamo. I believe it was early 80's, and Ozzy being Ozzy, was rather drunk at the time. He was banned from playing in San Antonio for a little over ten years I think. Really kind of harsh in my opinion, since I'm sure Davey and his boys took a wiz on it from time to time, if know what I mean.:rock:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hi Adam.
Sorry you won't be going to the ball game. But I'm glad that the Sox swept the Astros, I'm from Illinois and a Sox fan. You still have the Alamo though. Let us know how the visit was.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts