1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm In! (a big mess)

Hello.

New member here. I've been following posts for a while and have picked up a lot of good information.

For example, I've added a stronger recoil spring from Wolffe, ordered recoil buffers from Brownells, reshaped the ejector and slightly reshaped the ejection port. Just trying to guide ejected brass away from my forehead. I'll head out to the range next week to check the ejector and port mods. Hopefully the buffers will be here by then.

Glad now to be officially on-board.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome, iBilInTuc.
You have come to the right place.

The good guys here have sure helped me and they continue to do so.

Have a great, safe time with your blaster.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Welcome aboard. :) As far as needing a heavier recoil spring, what kind of ammo are you shooting? (And through what kind of 1911?)

Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I received the buffers. Now I am ready for the range tomorrow. I am shooting 230gr FMJ. Usually American Eagle, but anything I run through it smacks empties into my head.

I'm shooting an early to mid nineties alloy Champion; bought it new. The story behind it was that it came from a limited production run that was customized for some government agency. The agency reneged on the order so Springfield put them out to retail.

If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll do so sometime.

--Bill

·
Registered
277 Posts
Brass to the Head

Sounds like a Kel-Tec post. (brass in the head.) I've bought 5 semi-auto pistols in the last 9 months. I've joined as many forums/bulletin boards. It seems that we all have problems with any brand of firearm and none of them are without fault. I do like my Springfields, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Im In! (A big mess.)

Well… the buffers don’t work. They are too thick, therefore the slide will not open far enough to lock open or eject spent brass.

When I first bought this gun, I had ejection problems of a different kind. Brass was not being flipped out. They were extracted, just not thrown out of the slide. The smith at the shop did something to it which I assume was to grind the extractor down a bit. Because now, the more material I remove from the extractor the flatter the trajectory of brass is into my face.

So, I need to start over with a new extractor. Can anyone recommend a source?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts