1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only 2nd time to this site and this is my first thread. Also just bought my 1st STI today and I'm stoked. Usually don't get excited about new guns,but this time is different. Don't really know why,but maybe because it will be the 1st 1911 I've owned in about 10 years. I have owned many,many of them,just not recently and no STI's.Told myself years ago to get out of them and stay out. Oh well,things do come around. Anyway,don't have it yet,just waiting on the shipping. I guess I should have ask before buying,but is there anything different,good,unusual,etc about a DUTY ONE 5.0 in 9mm? Did I say I'm excited? Ordered a 3 Wilson 500-9 mags,hope they were a good choice. Appreiciate any info or comments. Thanks for letting me in the door!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the STI Family! You've made a fine choice. Many of us here on the forum, myself included, have become seriously addicted to STI. The only 1911 & 2011 pistols I own are STI. I don't have a Duty One, but do own a number of their single stacks including the Trojan and Sentinel in full size and they have been superb. As for mags I've been using .45 ACP and 9mm Wilson Combat 500 ETM mags for years and they have been excellent. We look forward to seeing pics and a range report in the near future.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Welcome to the addiction .you thought you had it bad before. Oh boy.i guess it only gets as bad as your wallet will allow. I've decided to stop buying and shoot the heck outta the three I own. I have a Trojan 9mm and a Trojan .45 plus my EDC is a Ranger II in .45. I use WC 47Ds for the .45s and WC ETMs for the 9mm. I've only gotten 500-600 thru the 9 but the .45s I think the round count is around 4K.you should be good with the new mags.I couldn't get the factory 9 mm mag to work. But no biggie I planned on new WC mags anyway so no biggie.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
you're gonna love it !!!!! congrats

(reminds me of that Carly Simon song...."Anticipation, anticipation Is makin' me late
Is keepin' me waitin'")

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all. Should be here on the 12th. Should be near zero in the morn,so I'm thinking
no running up to the range to try it out. Anyway,any ideas on a holster for this. Has kind of a different,shorter rail. Looking for a kydex/polymer OWB paddle holster,not real fancy or expensive. Something just like a GALCO M5X matrix. Also thinking a triple mag pouch/holder would be nice.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Lots of choices out there. I use a Blade Tech that I ordered from Dawson Precision. Simple, well made, Kydex OWB that was $60-$70. Multiple attachment options.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Should we tell him about the STI addiction, or should we let him find out for himself? The Duty One is a great gun, and there's no way you won't enjoy it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Should we tell him about the STI addiction, or should we let him find out for himself? The Duty One is a great gun, and there's no way you won't enjoy it.
Hey my name is ground, I'm addicted to STI 1911s. Now I'm off to the lgs to see if anything new came in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congrats & welcome.

The good is that these STI pistols are incredible machines, almost no matter which one you have chosen, and that is why I have stuck with them.

The unusual is that you will NEED to get another one or three in the next few years. :hrm:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
You would be more convincing if you just showed a bit more enthusiasm. :D

Welcome to the forum! You should see me when I talk about my Spartan V (9MM).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well.....I finally got a chance to get my new DutyOne to the range this afternoon. Not real sure of the initial results. Tried to adjust that TAS rear sight as it shot 6" high & 3" left for me @ 25 yards. Sight would only go down one click before it bottomed out, windage it did not make any difference which way you turned it,the blade didn't move. So,oh well to the nice adjustable sights. Now I need to figure out a way to load the gun with more than 6 or 7 rds in the mag. Didn't make any difference which mag,or how you tried it,every time it was nose down into the feedramp. With 6 or less rounds in either mag it would chamber a round starting with the slide closed or from slide lock. Man,I'm confused about the benefit of the RECOIL MASTER. Factory and other rounds felt funny,like the slide is whipping,for lack of a better explanation. I'm sure I'll think of something else. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I just need to bump this up. Can anyone offer any comments on my disappointment? when this ** weather breaks,I'll try it again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did get a chance to run 120 rds thru it today. I do really like the gun,got a good solid feel to it and I do shoot it halfway decent. Mag problems suck. Again,any thing over 6 rds in the Wilson, IS NOSE DOWN. Twice I did get the MF Springfield mag to load with a full 9 rds,OH BOY. No relief for the 3 to 4" high at 15yds. But, call me crazy,I do like it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Any improvements?
I just have the original STI mag and it runs fine for my Trojan 9mm.
I have 4 Dawson's on order with a magwell. I'll post on their performance when I get them.
What do you mean by nose down in the mag? A chamberi problem?
A jam?
Non release from the mag?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts