1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never shot a Wilson Combat .45.
I have never held a Wilson Combat .45.
I have never even seen a Wilson Combat .45.

At age 60, and living on a fixed income, the chances of me ever getting a Wilson Combat .45 are not especially high. ;)

Yet, it occurs to me time and time again, over and over, that if I sold off most, or all, of my modest collection of guns, such as my 2 AR-15's, 870 pump, Ruger Super Redhawk, Herters J9 .308, 2 Rock Island .45's, I could actually own a Wilson.

Particularly in view of my first three statements in this this post, that strikes me as a marginally demented mindset.

What say you?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Do it and don't look back. Trust me you will not want to anyways.

·
Banned
2,589 Posts
Keep one AR, the 870 and the Ruger. Sell the rest and use proceeds as down payment and place your order. That will give you at least a year to save for the remaining balance. I think the lead time is over 12 months. I think you can place an order with $500 deposit balance due upon completion.

Good luck and may your Wilson dream come true.

·
Banned
817 Posts
I was the ripe old age of 61 before I bought my first Wilson. I had not shoot one prior to purchase. I had viewed and held several which only reconfirmed my desire to own one. i have found ownership rewarding and have no regrets. So don't wait any longer than necessary to join the Wilson Owner's Fraternity you won't regret it.
Bill

·
Registered
12,451 Posts
The Wilson, of course, is a 100% positive "sure thing" in its own right. You will have zero regrets on this side of the deal (if you decide to sell and "trade-up").

However, a lot of this decision probably rests on the extent of your attachment (sentimental or otherwise) to your existing guns. If there is none, I'd maybe try to keep your best AR and the Ruger; maybe sell the others.

However, if you do have sentimental (or otherwise) attachments to your existing guns, especially if any of them are part of your family and/or lifetime history, think twice ... you're unlikely to ever see them again if you sell. Find and read the thread "Guns we most regret selling" (closest description I can recall, but you could find it with the search feature).

Only you can make this decision, but the existing Wilson owners on this forum (I own five Wilson 1911s and one Wilson AR) will tell you that the Wilson component of your planned sell/buy transactions will give you a superb firearm that you'll always treasure. I'm guessing that the answer, for you, resides more in your sentiments towards your existing collection.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Trust me, you'll be spoiled once you get a Wilson. I sold 4 Colts, a Kimber, a Sig and a Springfield to get my Wilsons. I am delighted with the results because I am a much better shooter with my Wilsons.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have never shot a Wilson Combat .45.
I have never held a Wilson Combat .45.
I have never even seen a Wilson Combat .45.

At age 60, and living on a fixed income, the chances of me ever getting a Wilson Combat .45 are not especially high. ;)

Yet, it occurs to me time and time again, over and over, that if I sold off most, or all, of my modest collection of guns, such as my 2 AR-15's, 870 pump, Ruger Super Redhawk, Herters J9 .308, 2 Rock Island .45's, I could actually own a Wilson.

Particularly in view of my first three statements in this this post, that strikes me as a marginally demented mindset.

What say you?
Where are you located? Maybe a forum member can let you shoot one.
I must have missed your location the first time...pretty far from MN.

I've sold a lot of 1911's over the last six years and worked my way up to my current addiction levels.
I don't regret selling any production gun in order to trade or buy up. I recently sold two Guncrafters to buy Wilsons and I don't regret that either.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Your plan sounds rational enough to me.

Consolidating quantity for quality is a good thing (imho) when it comes to guns...maybe not ammo. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not demented at all. I would sell ONE AR, use the funds as a down payment, order the Wilson you want from George at Gunslingers, pay $100 a month or whatever you can afford . In 18 months to two years, it'll be here and paid for and you'll still have your other weapons in the mean time. THEN the problems will begin, as in, how can I sell these other weapons and get a few MORE Wilsons.. Good Luck, remember, the turtle always wins the race..

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
I have had weapons most of my life. But didn't buy my first Wilson until age 62.

This is obviously a want not a need as you have two RIA pistols. I don't think age is the concern. Being on a fixed income ammo could be your concern. You are going to want to shoot the heck out of this pistol.

Cheap 45 acp ammo is 35¢ a round, quality ammo 70¢ a round and up. Some of us load our own. But I still spent over $450 on the press plus dies, scale, case cleaner, trimmer, components. In the long run that is less costly. But you have the up front costs.

I have an AR but don't really shoot it that much. An 870 only for protection. Seldom practice with it. I like and shoot my Super Redhawk, but again I reload, buying 44 mag is 60¢ to 90¢ a round. I wouldn't get rid of any of those. They all serve different purposes. But upgrading those RIA's to a Wilson, that is a huge improvement. Not to mention the feel good effects.

Budget usually dictates what we can have.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But you have the up front costs.
Those are covered. I've been reloading since 1973, and, these days, I load mostly .45 ACP and .44 mag. If I was forced to buy factory ammo only for those two guns, I'd be skrooed!

·
Premium Member
13,937 Posts
Do whatever makes you happy, but to trade all your guns for 1 Wilson I think is a "mistake". Nobody loves their Wilson TE more than me, but it will not replace the fun you are having with all your guns.

If AC was still with us, I think he would advise against it also (Unless you have a Kimber which he would tell you to get rid of right away (I still have mine though and it is a great blaster) ;-).

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Do it, but don't sell off your collection. I too recommend selling enough for your deposit.

You only live once- and they don't make Hearses with luggage racks! :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Now, at 61 not having already done exactly that does seem somewhat demented. Time is elusive and fast fleeting. At 73 I have one I love, one kitted and being built as we noodle around here and one that has been on order for over 18 months. Demented you ask of one who knows exactly what you are talking about.... you bet as I have one more I know I want and probably more I may want. I too know what is a limited disposable income. I have sold lots of perfectly useful, pedestrian, off the rack guns, to experience guns I love more every time I touch them. I say, sell right now. Buy the in stock Wilson Combat that catches your fancy right now and order your grail gun from your favorite WC combat dealer who has an order in the hopper that he will change to your dream specifications. Enjoy saving up for it's delivery in a year or two. Win-win. Go for it. Time waits no man, sane or not. Keep us posted on your Wilson Combat adventures. :rock:pony.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I'm all for selling production 1911's with no sentimental value to upgrade into Baer, Brown, Guncrafter or Wilson. I'm all for selling rifles, shotguns and revolvers to upgrade into a Wilson. From a practical self defense standpoint, I would not get rid of all of my long guns.

A Wilson 1911 is a true masterpiece. This includes the entry level XTAC (One of my favorite 1911's ever). But, if you experienced a home invasion, robbery or basic anarchy, I myself would want some type of long gun around. Pistols are very personal to most people. They should also be used to fight your way to a rifle or shotgun.

My point is, keep at least one semi auto rifle, one shotgun and the Ruger. Call George at Gunslingers and place your order.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I must have missed your location the first time
Actually, it was your post that made me realize I had not listed my location, so I went back and corrected that.
I am enjoying all the replys to this post, and the advice is much appreciated!
I'm pretty tickled to see all the "love" here for that Super Redhawk as well!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wouldn't let age bother me, I got my first Wilson at 57,liked it so much I just ordered another. You should keep at least one of your handguns to use while waiting for your WC. Not only is the Wilson a great shooting gun,the fit and finish is so far above your average handgun.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts