1911Forum banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
While not my favorite medium.
I am awed by the sentiment and commitment !!
Bravo !

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
It is far from humorous that so may of you who say that you are all for the 2nd amendment are against the 1st. "We all have certain unalienable rights." One of Mr. Gilbert's rights is the freedom of expression which it appears he has done quite eloquently. Whether you like it or whether you don't, it is a well done work of art worn by a man who is proud to show it to the world.
I don't see anyone saying he shouldn't express himself. I do see forum members saying they wouldn't get this or any type of tattoo. There is a difference.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It is far from humorous that so may of you who say that you are all for the 2nd amendment are against the 1st. "We all have certain unalienable rights." One of Mr. Gilbert's rights is the freedom of expression which it appears he has done quite eloquently. Whether you like it or whether you don't, it is a well done work of art worn by a man who is proud to show it to the world.
I hate tatoos with a passion but some love them so get them. At least his tat I can relate to better than skulls and dragons all over. It is what makes this country great, the ability to do as you please and express yourself how you see fit.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Why cant people just order a custom silk screened t-shirt instead? instead of making your body into a permanent bill board? all it takes is a custom t-shirt with the same messege printed on it

a person thats confident and not insecure doesnt need to do silly stuff like that to get attention, if he didnt want attention he wouldnt be showing it off like that

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I don't think anybody here is Anti First Amendment.

But there are folks on this forum who would not get a tattoo. Or would not get this one.

Like me. No tats. I have scars. Plenty of them. & none were intentional. That's enough skin damage for me.

·
Banned
967 Posts
I don't like Tattoos either.? And they look worse on a Woman.? Turns me off,? When I see a good looking Woman.? And she is all Tattooed up.?Or even Pierced all over her Face & Body.? Guess i am kind of old fashioned in my thinking.?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've got one tattoo, I'm not against them, but I don't want to completely cover myself in them you know. I have an aligator crawling down my right calf. Most people don't ever see it as I wear blue jeans or pants 90 percent of the time.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I've got one tattoo, I'm not against them, but I don't want to completely cover myself in them you know. I have an aligator crawling down my right calf. Most people don't ever see it as I wear blue jeans or pants 90 percent of the time.
I wonder why anyone would rather look like a gang member than natural.
Personally since tattoos and such were what the heathen did and God commanded the Israelites not to do it, under no circumstances would I get one.
However, each individual has the right to do as he sees fit. To me they look about as terrible as possible.

To each his own.

Jerry

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wonder why anyone would rather look like a gang member than natural.
Personally since tattoos and such were what the heathen did and God commanded the Israelites not to do it, under no circumstances would I get one.
However, each individual has the right to do as he sees fit. To me they look about as terrible as possible.

To each his own.

Jerry
You know, I'm not taking a stab at you, I'm a baptist. But when someone at my church saw my tattoo, we were at the local chilis and he was giving me a lecture about how your supposed to "respect your body" and it's "a temple" and all that Mumbo Jumbo, all the while he's smoking a cigarette. He's a heavy smoker. I looked at him and say. If your supposed to respect your body, how is smoking cigarettes all the time any better than me getting a tattoo? The tattoo doesn't technically "destroy" my body. It isn't going to kill me. That cigarette will kill ya. He never mentioned anything again.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
You know, I'm not taking a stab at you, I'm a baptist. But when someone at my church saw my tattoo, we were at the local chilis and he was giving me a lecture about how your supposed to "respect your body" and it's "a temple" and all that Mumbo Jumbo, all the while he's smoking a cigarette. He's a heavy smoker. I looked at him and say. If your supposed to respect your body, how is smoking cigarettes all the time any better than me getting a tattoo? The tattoo doesn't technically "destroy" my body. It isn't going to kill me. That cigarette will kill ya. He never mentioned anything again.
Once you have it there seems no point in lecturing you. It is between you and God. However one must be aware that tattoos might very well prevent one serving as he might desire. For example, I would not want a pastor or teacher with tattoos. More than respecting your body God commanded His people not to tattoo their bodies. Lev_19:28 That was what the heathen did, and if you will look at many tribes today they still do. God's people are to be different.
But as I stated, once done it is very difficult to reverse, and one might regret it and it might be restrictive as to how you can serve the Lord.

While it wasn't so much mumbo jumbo, there are few things more damaging to the body than smoking, so he did not set a good enough example to lecture you. And I was not his place anyway since you had already done it.

Some people, and I would be one, would not consider marrying one who has tattoos.

Again do as you will. We are just expressing likes or dislikes as to the subject.

Jerry

·
Registered
87 Posts
Scars are earned and have always been cooler than ink, IMHO.
That's the truth. I've got a lot of scars and just the one tattoo. I shattered my leg 4 months ago working on my truck. I've got plates and screws in my bones holding my leg together now for the rest of my life. It's left a nasty scar. Good thing it was my left leg because it would have really ruined the tattoo on my right leg.

·
Registered
701 Posts
jeepers......

I shattered my leg 4 months ago working on my truck. I've got plates and screws in my bones holding my leg together now for the rest of my life.
I'm sorry - I was thinking more along the lines of Shakespeare not catastrophic:

"Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in his mouth as household words
Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

Hope you get better.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hmm; one would think that one has the right to tattoo oneself due to a right to freedom of expression (a recognized extension of 1st amendment freedom of speech), but one also has the right to say tattoos are stupid, ugly, cool, manly, (add you own adjective) by the same right. BTW the unalienable rights talked about in the Declaration of Independence, are natural law rights and not Constitutional rights. As described by Jefferson these truths are self-evident and endowed by our Creator, meaning they can be neither guaranteed or taken away, as they are on a different level of truth; unalienable truth.

·
Registered
527 Posts
That's the truth. I've got a lot of scars and just the one tattoo. I shattered my leg 4 months ago working on my truck. I've got plates and screws in my bones holding my leg together now for the rest of my life. It's left a nasty scar. Good thing it was my left leg because it would have really ruined the tattoo on my right leg.
I see a possible bio-mechanical tattoo in your future.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.