1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I bought one, I'd like it to be in either original .45 or 10mm. Any reccomendations as to what brands I should look for, brands I should stay away from, or what I should expect to pay? At the momment I'm leaning towards Rock Island.

·
Registered
647 Posts
It depends on what you want in one. Do you want one like a WWII Government issue like the Springfield Armory GI? Or do you want a decked out model with lots of goodies on it? You can go from a few hundred for low quality foreign made GI style models to several thousand for highly tuned hand built feature loaded models like a Wilson, Les Baer, or something from SA's Custom Shop. We need to know that before we can give you price range recommendations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
technosavant said:
It depends on what you want in one. Do you want one like a WWII Government issue like the Springfield Armory GI? Or do you want a decked out model with lots of goodies on it? You can go from a few hundred for low quality foreign made GI style models to several thousand for highly tuned hand built feature loaded models like a Wilson, Les Baer, or something from SA's Custom Shop. We need to know that before we can give you price range recommendations.
Well, I would like it to be as close to the WWII issue 1911 as possible, but from my online auction browsing I was led to believe that those are more expensive. I will be using this pistol for recreational shooting, I don't think I'll be carrying it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Try the Springfield Armory GI Mil-Spec. MSRP on that is $467, but if you can't find lower than that, you aren't trying hard enough.
Colt themselves make a WWI replica, but I don't know how much that one costs. Check out some local gun stores and see what they have.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I second the Springfield WWII, if your wanting a close GI copy for the least money invested. My shop has one for $439.00 but I've heard plenty of people on this forum that said they got it tax and all for under $400. Check out the Springfield section for more feedback on this model.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Bud's Gun Shop in Lexington, KY has Springfield Milspecs (not WWII) for $419, while Sarco has Rock Islands for $319. Either is an excellent choice for dependable shooter, but for long term resalability I'd go with the Springfield.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'll third the Springfield W.W.II Mil-Spec and I'm a Colt guy.
Terrific piece for $400 or less.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
You should only be paying about $100 more for the Springfield Milspec over the RIA and maybe about $150 to $180 more for a Colt M1991A1. I'd save a little longer and get the latter two. There's nothing wrong with the RIA, but with guns (this is from alot of experience), you're always going to be looking at the next, new purchase. IOW, you're probably going to get one of the latter two somewhere down the line anyway. Why not start there to begin with?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
technosavant said:
Find a new gun store. That is way over MSRP for the GI model.
The "local" gun store overcharges everything, I didn't even try there. This one was a 25 minute drive away. I'll check another one I know of, that is a 45 minute drive away.

This is what kind of sucks about living in areas that aren't densely populated.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
That's why the internet is great. Everyone keeps talking about keeping the small shop open, but nobody wants to admit the very same shop has been screwing customers for years!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah, baby! Just like the AZHusker said. The internet is the great equalizer.

When I shop the local gunstore and I see used, and I mean used 1911's for sale at prices equal to those of new, there is little to question.

First 1911? I have recently gotten a bad case of the 1911 fever. I purchase new, that way I learn on a new gun rather than something that I know little about.

MightyGoat listen to what the guys here are saying. They have steered me right.

Oh, yeah. SA Milspec would be at the top of the list.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Go with the WWII Mil-Spec it's GI all the way you could also go colt but pay more, my ww2 mil-spec looks and feels great, i've looked at the rock island ones and they some how don't feel the same but maybe thats just me:D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Check www.gunsamerica.com , last time I looked Rock Island milspecs were going for $299. Mine's got over 500rds through it and so far has been 100% reliable w/CMC Shooting Star mags and the factory Novak mag that came with it. Good fit, finish & trigger right out of the box, hardchromed barrel, reliable & accurate, no MIM/plastic parts or 2-piece bbls, what's not to like for $299?
Tomac

1 - 16 of 16 Posts