1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I would LOVE to see them do this.. PLEASE make one and a revolver too.

First, it would be interesting. Second, it would be hilarious watching the fan boys who have trashed metal guns be confused as to how to deal with this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The gun stays stuck in a holster in your truck, with less 100 rounds through it, but it's been "remarkable"?
Yes remarkable as in it has always went bang when I wanted it to. But not remarkable as in it's my favorite gun. It's far from it. I only bought it because it was on a helluva sale from a LGS going out of business. Would I buy another?? Not likely. Would I sell it? Well probably not any time soon. It was bought with the purpose of being just what it is.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Imagine if Remington Rand made typewriters….. or Singer made sewing machines......oh, wait. lol

1911 'clone' companies have come and gone that may well have wished they had the financial backing and marketing acumen of Glock.

While I'm not in the market for another 1911 (I already have one - a Springer GI)) I surely would not pass over one just because others didn't like the manufacturer. That Tisas 1911 is supposedly a sound stout piece for example.
The tisas is actually a really nice budget clone! I have one. The 1911-b duty it's a 5 inch barrel, black cerakote with stainless skeletonized trigger, Novak sights, commander hammer, extended beaver tail, flat main spring 8 Rd mec gar mag from the factory. For an out of the box 1911 it's actually great! Not my Kimber nor my post war colt but I wouldn't hesitate to depend on it to save my life! I actually do carry it for EDC often. If I'm not carrying that I'm carrying my snub nose 38. My tisas has somewhere around 500 rounds through it and not the first issue!

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
What RandyP was saying is correct. The most coveted 1911 on Earth (Singer) was made by a company completely unrelated to guns.

Meaning, why would anyone care who the manufacturer is? If the gun is good, it's good.

Big name respected gun makers have made & sold turds. Their name & company history did not help them. And non-gun makers have created some nice stuff.

So if Glock, or freakin' Jimmy Dean Sausages made an awesome gun I'd be on board. I don't care what company they are.

I'll leave the designer label "who are you wearing?" brand-devotion stuff to the fashion chicks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I would not buy any glock. When it comes to perfection JMB beat them to it.
Yes. Very very few people (if any) have designed a better, more versatile, better looking gun than John B. His ideas were way ahead of his time. He definitely thought "outside the box".

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
What RandyP was saying is correct. The most coveted 1911 on Earth (Singer) was made by a company completely unrelated to guns.

Meaning, why would anyone care who the manufacturer is? If the gun is good, it's good.

Big name respected gun makers have made & sold turds. Their name & company history did not help them. And non-gun makers have created some nice stuff.

So if Glock, or freakin' Jimmy Dean Sausages made an awesome gun I'd be on board. I don't care what company they are.

I'll leave the designer label "who are you wearing?" brand-devotion stuff to the fashion chicks.
I agree, I wasn't a Glock fan our dept went to them so I had to. I was a rangemaster so we went to school to learn Glock. I got to shoot a lot of them teaching & carrying on duty. I learned two things, they work & if they don't work it's probably the shooter. Oh maybe three things, they aren't picky about magazines, if it's a Glock magazine of proper caliber for the gun it's likely going to work.
Soooo if Glock made a 1911 (out of steel) I'd be interested.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
Everyone is voicing their opinion on a gun they have never seen. I’m pretty sure that if they came out with a quality piece and it was priced right, many here would change their opinion

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
Would you buy a 1911 made by Norinco? -------- this is a retroactive / history question.

I remember how people laughed at Norincos when they first came out. Dismissed as "Cheap Chinese crap" by nearly everyone. Usually based on nothing but name/country of origin. But now folks understand they were FAR better than they assumed.

So could Glock make a good 1911? Yes, of course they could. I cannot fathom why anyone would think otherwise.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I never said a true mil spec 1911. I was (jokingly) referring to the ugly "block" of a Glock. I would imagine Glocks version of a 1911 to be blocky and not sleek and stylish like the current mil spec 1911. It would probably be a current Glock with an external hammer. Lol.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
This debate reminds me of the all people that have their panties in a bunch over Ford making an electric, four door, hatch back and calling it a Mustang.

I say....who gives a dam? As long as it is solid and performs like hell, when I pick mine up in 2021 it just better be hot as hell 🙂

While I think there is certainly some logic to think a Glock 1911 or an electric mustang is dumb, I tend to think most people that get upset are the ones that didn’t buy one when it turns out to be a lot better then expected and it somehow threatens them.

·
Administrator
72,106 Posts
The gun stays stuck in a holster in your truck, with less 100 rounds through it, but it's been "remarkable"?
Yes remarkable as in it has always went bang when I wanted it to.
Not trying to give you too much crap over this, but that is analogous to saying your car is remarkable and has always started when you wanted it to, despite having just 500 miles on the odometer. ;)

Having listened to some comments online about the newly-resurrected Colt Python I've come to the realization that a lot of guns and brands have developed reputations completely out of proportion to reality, especially among people who may like guns but are certainly not gun experts. Several cases in point:

1. Glocks are completely reliable and never jam or break, and will even fire underwater... every time.

2. Colt Pythons are the Rolls Royce of revolvers and were completely hand-built, one at a time.

3. SIG-Sauer P220/226/228 pistols are the Cadillac of semi-auto handguns and the best ever made when price isn't a consideration.

4. The 1911 is so unreliable you can't get through more than a few magazines without jamming, and it's so inaccurate you can't hit a barn from the inside, but boy that .45ACP round will send the bad guy flying with just one solid hit.

5. The Beretta 92 is a total piece of junk. Just ask my cousin's best friend who served with the Army SEALS.

The bottom line... no firearm is infallible and all brands turn out lemons from time to time. If Glock made a 1911 they would have to find a way to build it completely from steel stampings and injection-molded polymer, because that's the only way they know how to build guns. Tell Glock's employees to start hand-fitting extractors and polishing hammer hooks and watch the chaos begin.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Imagine if Glock made a 1911... What would the general consensus be with us (the market) ? I own a Glock 17 personally and for what it was designed for it's been remarkable! With that said it's not my favorite gun in the box. I use it for my truck gun. Stays in my console holstered. It's reliable and accurate. But it's as ugly as hammered dog crap! No curb appeal whatsoever. I've had it a couple of years now with the round count less than 100 through it. Would anyone of y'all consider buying a Glock 1911?
I think that it is a ridiculous question. I did not read all of the replies.

However, I liken it to asking if John Deere made a Corvette would you consider buying it? There are so many variables involved (ifs) how can it be answered reasonably be answered.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Imagine if Glock made a 1911... What would the general consensus be with us (the market) ? I own a Glock 17 personally and for what it was designed for it's been remarkable! With that said it's not my favorite gun in the box. I use it for my truck gun. Stays in my console holstered. It's reliable and accurate. But it's as ugly as hammered dog crap! No curb appeal whatsoever. I've had it a couple of years now with the round count less than 100 through it. Would anyone of y'all consider buying a Glock 1911?
I think that it is a ridiculous question. I did not read all of the replies.

However, I liken it to asking if John Deere made a Corvette would you consider buying it? There are so many variables involved (ifs) how can it be answered reasonably?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I'm ok with Glock making Glocks. They have been making the same gun for a long time and it just works. The 1911 market is flooded with manufacturers and I really don't see what another manufacturer can bring to the table. Innovation for the 1911 is kind of stale. Endless grips, sights, small parts, calibers, rails, barrels, finishes. Basically you want it and if you got the $$$ you can get it. Hell they even made a set out of meteorites.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yes remarkable as in it has always went bang when I wanted it to.
Not trying to give you too much crap over this, but that is analogous to saying your car is remarkable and has always started when you wanted it to, despite having just 500 miles on the odometer.

Having listened to some comments online about the newly-resurrected Colt Python I've come to the realization that a lot of guns and brands have developed reputations completely out of proportion to reality, especially among people who may like guns but are certainly not gun experts. Several cases in point:

1. Glocks are completely reliable and never jam or break, and will even fire underwater... every time.

2. Colt Pythons are the Rolls Royce of revolvers and were completely hand-built, one at a time.

3. SIG-Sauer P220/226/228 pistols are the Cadillac of semi-auto handguns and the best ever made when price isn't a consideration.

4. The 1911 is so unreliable you can't get through more than a few magazines without jamming, and it's so inaccurate you can't hit a barn from the inside, but boy that .45ACP round will send the bad guy flying with just one solid hit.

5. The Beretta 92 is a total piece of junk. Just ask my cousin's best friend who served with the Army SEALS.

The bottom line... no firearm is infallible and all brands turn out lemons from time to time. If Glock made a 1911 they would have to find a way to build it completely from steel stampings and injection-molded polymer, because that's the only way they know how to build guns. Tell Glock's employees to start hand-fitting extractors and polishing hammer hooks and watch the chaos begin.
That is simply outstanding! I’m still chuckling.

·
Administrator
72,106 Posts
Would you buy a 1911 made by Norinco? -------- this is a retroactive / history question.

I remember how people laughed at Norincos when they first came out. Dismissed as "Cheap Chinese crap" by nearly everyone. Usually based on nothing but name/country of origin. But now folks understand they were FAR better than they assumed.
This sort of filters over to the nostalgia thread. People had an issue with the Norincos simply because the idea of an all-American 1911 being made in communist China rubbed some people the wrong way. So they wanted to hate them. I don't think anyone questioned whether the Chinese could do it. They are masters of reverse-engineering and they certainly had lots of captured M1911A1s to go off of, not to mention plenty of factories and cheap labor to build them with.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
21 - 40 of 119 Posts