1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Botach is selling IMI 45acp 230gr FMJ for $166 + shipping for 1000rds. Their service is only fair, and shipping charges are somewhat high, but I have not seen it available for about 2 years, and it's a good price.

Alan

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've purchased ammo from Botach a couple of times, no problems for me. I'm thinking of buying a case of IMI, It's real good stuff
Sam

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Wolf is cheaper, no doubt. I believe the IMI is brass cased is it not? Personally, I don't like the lacquer on the wolf cases and I don't like the idea of steel cases grating on my steel chamber. I know brass or aluminum will not not be a problem. If it works for you, great!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I received my order today, which I consider prompt service. According to IMI's web site, Botach is their new USA distributor. The ammo is clean and shoots well. EJR, Natchez doesn't sell direct to anyone in my home state.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
So Iceman, what was the total price to you per 1000 including shipping? I realize shipping rates will vary depending on location. I just need a ballpark figure.

It throws me off when people compare ammo prices and the price they are talking about is what the item is sold for, but not what it actually costs them. Sales tax (in state) and shipping charges can cause the end amount paid to be significantly different from the price marked on the box. For example, Cheaper Than Dirt is in my home state of Texas. Their prices on ammo are often listed as cheaper than Ammoman, but after adding in the shipping, PLUS state sales tax, Ammoman becomes a much better price.

Fortunately, Botach isn't in the same state as me, so what was the shipping and handling for the ammo?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Iceman, How do you like it so far? Is it as dirty as S&B? I'm seriously thinking of buying a case. Sam :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shoot the oldest ammo I have first (which is S&B), so I have thus far only shot a single box of the IMI (to test for any overt problems). However, I have used a fair quantity of Samson 230gr FMJ, which is also manufactured by IMI, and subjectively find it to be cleaner and at least as accurate as S&B.

Alan

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe all of IMI's military grade ammo is US milspec. The following statement is from their web site.

"As the principal supplier of ammunition to the Israel Defence Force (IDF), with an extensive list of military customers throughout the world, IMI manufactures in accordance with the most stringent military specifications."

Anyone know the answer for sure?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I read somewhere that it is NATO spec, which I would think would be close to US mil spec. Anyway, I've shot some 3000 rounds of IMI/Samson .45 acp in the last two years with no problems. Clean, consistent, and as accurate as any mil ball ammo. I used to get it from Cole Distributing, but I think they may no longer be an IMI distributor?

weaponeer

·
Registered
130 Posts
I need to sight in my Kimber - would this be a good ammo to do that with?

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
kimbernewbie, does you Kimber have adjustable sights or fixed? In any event, sight in your Kimber with the ammo you're going to carry (if you're going to carry it.) Otherwise, sight it in with the ammo you're going to shoot for competition and/or plinking. I would encourage you to try different brands of ammo to see which has the best combination of reliability and accuracy in your pistol prior to investing in a case of anything.

For carry ammo, the Federal 230-gr. H-S and W-W "white box" 230-gr. JHP (and W-W Ranger SXT +P) are perhaps the best self-defense loads out there. Black Hills, Federal, W-W military "white box", and S&B ball ammo are perhaps the best factory practice ammo one can buy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. I haven't tride IMI yet, but i will swing by Botachtactical and pick up a few boxes for a trial. Thanx for the tip.

·
Registered
130 Posts
They are adjustable. - thanks for the tip - I'll probably sight them in with what have been shooting, then fine tune the sights after I settle on a particular round.

Tony

·
Registered
670 Posts
Iceman, Have you had a chance to shoot your IMI ammo yet? If so, how do you like it? Is it as clean as Federal's American Eagle or Winchester's USA? Also, what is your overall impression, does it always go bang, accurate, feeding problems, etc? Thanks, Sam :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts