1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody else get that flyer from Wideners? IMI isnt anything special (I dont think), but it is going for a good price.

As an aside, I see that they also have South African PMP on sale. I have actually had a lot of luck with that ammo, although a little light.

anybody seen IMI cheaper than that?

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just checked their website, and they don't say anything about having IMI 45 in stock. They do have PMP 45 220 gr on sale for $155 + s&h, which seems pretty good, although I've never tried PMP ammo. Link

I have to confess to liking Blazer, which Natchez has for $7.40/box. Obviously, I don't reload.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
The last (and I do mean the LAST) batch of IMI .45acp ammo I got was crap. Even after re-crimping the stuff, it's still crap. I use it just so that I can practice malfunction drills.

Best stuff around is Natchez' Federal AE for $7.50 or so per box in thousand-round cases, followed by MFS from AIM Surplus or S&B from some other suppliers. Be sure and check the delivered price, not just the "base" ammo price F.O.B..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hakko said:
I just checked their website, and they don't say anything about having IMI 45 in stock. They do have PMP 45 220 gr on sale for $155 + s&h, which seems pretty good, although I've never tried PMP ammo. Link
Wideners website sucks. The special is on the site. But, you can't find it easily. When I did find the deal, the shopping cart was down. I called in by phone and ordered a case.

I have never ordered the 45 ACP, but all other IMI ammo I've tried has been decent stuff. I will try it for myself. What others say about a product gets little mileage from me. I've found positive and negative reports are often flawed, for various reasons.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
"I have never ordered the 45 ACP, but all other IMI ammo I've tried has been decent stuff."

Yeah, Jerry. That's what I thought. Tell you what. I'll sell you mine for that price per box delivered.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Andy said:
"I have never ordered the 45 ACP, but all other IMI ammo I've tried has been decent stuff."

Yeah, Jerry. That's what I thought. Tell you what. I'll sell you mine for that price per box delivered.
I already ordered a case. I am already well stocked enough that I had to talk myself into it. Maybe,,,,,,

Still those tales of that nasty S&B keep coming back to me. That is what I am overstocked on. And dam glad of it. I take all of that nasty stuff I can get at these prices. I'll get back to you with an apology, or an order.

I still haven't heard what exactly was wrong with the ammo. Just an aside on recrimping. I assume it failed to feed?

Jerry

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Seems this lot of IMI would hit the feed ramp and, instead of the round bumping "up, over the ramp and into the chamber", the bullet would, more often than not, just be driven deep into the case when hitting the feed ramp and stop; causing a FTF.

My Colts, Wilsons, EB Kobra, and borrowed SIGs and Glocks don't like this ammo. I'll trade it to you for some of that S&B...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Andy said:
Seems this lot of IMI would hit the feed ramp and, instead of the round bumping "up, over the ramp and into the chamber", the bullet would, more often than not, just be driven deep into the case when hitting the feed ramp and stop; causing a FTF.

My Colts, Wilsons, EB Kobra, and borrowed SIGs and Glocks don't like this ammo. I'll trade it to you for some of that S&B...
Well, the S&B is something I am fond of. It looks as though the IMI is going to be quite the same. My order came in.

The cases measure out to be of uniform dimensions. The cases are not cannelured. Case crimps seem uniform and correctly applied.

Granted, I have yet to test fire. But, I have hand cycled several magazines of this through three pistols. It feeds smoothly, whether done briskly, or in any "odd" fashion. Cycled rounds show no movement of the Ball within the case when measured.

Now, that I feel the functional issues are determined, (if not, I will report in a follow up) accuracy remains to be tested. Anything near milspec is going to be acceptable. Additional accuracy ability will bring S&B competrition.

If anyone is interested, I can post the crono data later. But, what with weather concerns, that may be some time in coming.

Jerry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts