1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to start some flame war or something, but me and a buddy was talking about this and I cant believe it!

Here in IL, you must have a firearms i.d. card which you get cleared threw the state if you have no criminal record, which is the extent of what I know.

Anyway YES i am a F. O. I. D. carrier.

Anyway he said people with green cards can also buy guns in IL.

I thought you had to be an American citizen in order to even think about owning a gun legally.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Yep. I think its a great thing. In my state I think legal Aliens can even get a concealed pistol license.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Your friend is right, you only have to be a legal alien to own a firearm, or to apply for a CHL (legal alien with no criminal record that is).

·
Premium Member
20,435 Posts
Legal? We don't have to worry about that around here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey, I'm a legal alien who owns firearms, hunts, and carries. How can you expect people to become model citizens if we're denied the ability to train and carry just like every other law abiding citizen? I pay taxes. I can't collect unemployment insurance. I can't collect social security or medicare.

The constitution guarantees rights to every person. It is not limited to citizens.

Hopefully I didn't read your post wrong. Not trying to start a flame war. Just very tired of the "stigma" attached to not being a citizen. I'm at day 290 of 365 waiting for my citizenship.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Dear Odysseys,

Only aliens who are admitted under nonimmigrant visas are prohibited from purchasing firearms. This would include aliens who come here for tourism, education, work, etc... There are some exceptions but for the most part this class of alien cannot even possess a firearm. Immigrant aliens however are those who are allowed to come and live in the US. These aliens are allowed to purchase firearms and ammunition the same as you or I are. There's nothing wrong with that in my opinion since these people have already been found to be deserving of living here. Stay safe, Gary
Please see (g)(5) & (y) at http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/922.html

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Also on top of what Gary said those admitted into the United States on a nonimigrant visa are also allowed to possess guns if they have a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Roz said:
The constitution guarantees rights to every person. It is not limited to citizens. ... I'm at day 290 of 365 waiting for my citizenship.
I feel your pain. I've fought that battle before, and there are people out there that still think that Immigrants are "second-class" people. BTW, I finally got a naturalization interview notice for January of next year, and it has only been about 7 months since I applied.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Aleko said:
I feel your pain. I've fought that battle before, and there are people out there that still think that Immigrants are "second-class" people. BTW, I finally got a naturalization interview notice for January of next year, and it has only been about 7 months since I applied.
I'm not one that believes you are 2nd class anything! Welcome. I am one that believes it is strange, that in my state, you must submit a "certified birth certificate" to APPLY for the right, for them to do a back ground search for CCW. A state that the same politicians FIGHT against requiring ID to VOTE.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Makes perfect sense to me Peak. Your politicans want illegal aliens to be able to vote them into office, not shoot them out of it!

:biglaugh:

Cant start a vote plantation when the slaves own guns!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Mus said:
Also on top of what Gary said those admitted into the United States on a nonimigrant visa are also allowed to possess guns if they have a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States.
Check Cornell or the US Codes, but if I remember correctly, the nonimmigrant has to be coming here for the PURPOSE of a hunting trip to possess a weapon. And those are scrutinized pretty good. I'll admit that I've never seen such a situation in 15 years, so I'm not up to date on that one, but I'm pretty sure that is still correct. I believe I remember being told by an Immigration Inspector that the purpose of the trip in that case is clearly notated on the passport.

And I believe it doesn't allow them to purchase the weapon, just ammo. They bring their own weapon thru customs.

Those visas can also be cancelled very easily. For example, someone here for a 2 week big game or bird hunting trip cannot be walking around with a Davis .25 or such.

I was watching a show where one of our military branches was hosting a sniper / shooting competition. The only foreign group to show was British. They brought their own weapons, but could not bring their personally loaded ammo in. Had to buy from Wal-Mart I guess.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Peak said:
I'm not one that believes you are 2nd class anything! Welcome.
I guess I didn't make myself perfectly clear, for what I apologize if I insulted anybody. My post was NOT a direct comment towards anybody on this board, but rather a general observation based on my personal experience. As a matter of fact, all of the “gun folks” I’ve had pleasure meeting and knowing have been very friendly and helpful even after detecting my accent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey, I'm one of the people who feel the more people who own firearms and are informed of the use of said items, the better.

Unfortunately, my application for naturalization has to go through Nebraska and they are NOTORIOUSLY slow.

I find it odd that in IL to even buy ammo you need a FOID. And here I thought Michigan was strict in it's registration of all pistols.

What does get my goat is in CA they're talking about giving illegal aliens driver licenses, and possibly the right to vote eventually. There's something NOT right about that at all.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mus said:
Makes perfect sense to me Peak. Your politicans want illegal aliens to be able to vote them into office, not shoot them out of it!

:biglaugh:

Cant start a vote plantation when the slaves own guns!
I hope the immigrants turned citiizens don't wait to long! I'd like them to give my country back to me. Lord knows many of the people born here, don't know crap about what made this country great!:(

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
ddstanle said:
Check Cornell or the US Codes, but if I remember correctly, the nonimmigrant has to be coming here for the PURPOSE of a hunting trip to possess a weapon.
I just read it and it says comes here for that purpose or possesses a valid hunting license or permit. I dont know if they meant a hunting permit or a permit to own or carry a firearm pursuant to state law in whatever locality. My state law makes no mention of what Alien status is required for a permit to carry a concealed pistol (makes no distinction between immigrant visa or work/education) and all types of Canadians are specifically exempted for hunting purposes right off the bat I think (which means they would be covered with federal law because of the hunting license).

If anyone knows more speak up!

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Peak said:
I hope the immigrants turned citizens don't wait to long! I'd like them to give my country back to me. Lord knows many of the people born here, don't know crap about what made this country great!:(
Preferably they can all come from formerly communist nations so they all know better than to allow this steady deterioration to go on.

;)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Odysseys said:
Not to start some flame war or something, but me and a buddy was talking about this and I cant believe it!

Here in IL, you must have a firearms i.d. card which you get cleared threw the state if you have no criminal record, which is the extent of what I know.

Anyway YES i am a F. O. I. D. carrier.

Anyway he said people with green cards can also buy guns in IL.

I thought you had to be an American citizen in order to even think about owning a gun legally.
Now that I've got my pet peeve off my chest, let me say-WHY NOT? If they are here legally, please do, allow them to defend family and self. That isn't a right you, me, government, or anything should be allowed to interfere with!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
America is about this"

DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT BUT DO NOT IMPEADE ON THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS

In other words, get a gun if you an alien, but if you screw up, you are in DEEP water! Prision, or death.

·
Registered
111 Posts
boy talk about a pissing match of emotions, like i said, i didnt know and i asked cause i wanted to know.

i got no freaking problem with anyone person coming here from another land, infact that what america is! a great place to be!

so dont come down on me for asking a question i didnt know, i never said, screw aliens or something did i?

NO!

and i dont fell that way, i dont know SQUAT about all that stuff works, lucky for me i never had to deal with that in my life cause i was born here.

so please stop venting on me for asking a question that i didnt put or mean to put insultive, i figure its hard enough for me to have and own a gun how the heck, are non american citizen able to get one around here in IL.

SO:barf: :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.